Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Default New Shotgun

I just picked up a new Beretta 686 White Onyx O/U 12 ga. I just couldn't resist, I hope to kill many a clay targets... Looks like old stock but it was right up my alley! I'm pumped, just wish the forecast looked better for the weekend!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2flyxcw View Post
I just picked up a new Beretta 686 White Onyx O/U 12 ga. I just couldn't resist, I hope to kill many a clay targets... Looks like old stock but it was right up my alley! I'm pumped, just wish the forecast looked better for the weekend!
Forecast is OK for shotgun...not so good for rimfire. Congrats on your 686.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Default More questions...

Thanks 260 rem,I never did get out when the weather let up, I had other commitments.
I've been reading and trying to gain information about clay shooting and general shotgun fun. I haven't done any bird hunting, but if the chance ever came up the following questions come to mind.

I know guys that have shot some sporting clays and different shotgun competitions. One fellow I know stated he would never shoot steel shot down the barrel of his o/u, "only lead". Is steel shot hard on the barrel's? Or perhaps the chokes?

If I were ever to work up the nerve to take my expensive (for me) new gun into the field for birds, what do I need to consider with regards to steel shot harming my firearm?

I'd shoot anything through my Benelli SuperNova but fear the 14.5" barrel "Cylinder" would be like shooting at them with a blunderbuss... lol Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2flyxcw View Post
Thanks 260 rem,I never did get out when the weather let up, I had other commitments.
I've been reading and trying to gain information about clay shooting and general shotgun fun. I haven't done any bird hunting, but if the chance ever came up the following questions come to mind.

I know guys that have shot some sporting clays and different shotgun competitions. One fellow I know stated he would never shoot steel shot down the barrel of his o/u, "only lead". Is steel shot hard on the barrel's? Or perhaps the chokes?

If I were ever to work up the nerve to take my expensive (for me) new gun into the field for birds, what do I need to consider with regards to steel shot harming my firearm?

I'd shoot anything through my Benelli SuperNova but fear the 14.5" barrel "Cylinder" would be like shooting at them with a blunderbuss... lol Thanks
YTour White Onyx will be fine wit steel.
You can look on te inside of the reciever are you should see a Fluer Di Lis , that designates it as steel apporved.
Many people do not know the ins and ots of using steel and simply go by what tey have heard, most of it wrong as is the case of your new Berreta not being capable os shooting steel.
The only thing to consider with your giun and steel is to make sure eh shell length s correct and that your choke s steel approved.
BTW, you may find the pattern tighter than you suspected with a cylinder choke....
Cat
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM

I just paid for a 686 silver pigeon 1sporter with 32" barrels. It should be shipped tomorrow. I've been lusting after an o/u for years now so finally pulled the trigger so to speak. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I really considered an onyx, but decided to splurge for the machined scroll work. I have an A400 xplore unico and love it for waterfowl and upland. Don't plan on taking the 686 into the mud, just clays.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Thanks Cat,

It seems that Canada is kind of a b@@@@@d stepchild for online links and support. The US site has some info but didn't want a Canadian zip code registering. Stoeger Canada (1990) Ltd. has limited online presence as far as I could find. Some of the info I was looking for turns out is too simple to post. For instance at first I didn't know why the trigger didn't reset for the second shot with snap caps. Finally I found a magazine article discussing a problem with an inertia trigger. That is when I had my aha moment. I know... lol
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelb View Post
I just paid for a 686 silver pigeon 1sporter with 32" barrels. It should be shipped tomorrow. I've been lusting after an o/u for years now so finally pulled the trigger so to speak. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I really considered an onyx, but decided to splurge for the machined scroll work. I have an A400 xplore unico and love it for waterfowl and upland. Don't plan on taking the 686 into the mud, just clays.
Sounds like a great gun, enjoy! I went over my shotgun budget by almost 50% to get this o/u. I personally like the fancy scrolling, but it really isn't me. I understand and prefer to own quality, but usually am drawn to used and worn or plain. Without time to find that, the simple look of the White Onyx turned my crank, plus saving a few bucks helped get it past the war department... lol It's probably cutting in to the budget to finish her photo studio. I told her she doesn't need walls as she just hangs up fabric and paper backdrops anyways!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Yeah I really blew the budget on this one. Missus was a little miffed but couldn't say much considering I just paid off my truck and gave her my tax return ( for the mortgage or child care or some boring thing). I agree in the buy used concept, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for used. Some of the similar models were close, but not cheap enough to warrant not buying new. Oh we'll, once in a lifetime expenditure.

BTW, how do you plan on choking it to shoot sporting clays?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM

That's a great question! lol

I have been thinking about that, while it's snowing...
So much info on the internet? Too much! lol The fellow who will help me uses two IM, I don't have the luxury of two of each.
Thought I'd try what is in it, full and IC I believe.

I am very new to shooting clays and will likely do most of it on private land. I would like to see how organized shooting works too at some point. Not a local option. I'll check the Red Deer show to see if there is any groups close there?