Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Getting into reloading?

Hey guys, a friend of mine recently convinced me to look into reloading.
Just curious if theres any decent priced sets you guys would recommend as i can't afford to get everything top of the line (being in school, buying a new bow etc etc...)
thanks a lot.

Schian

ps. i will be reloading strictly for my .30-06 for now if that makes any difference.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM

Default reloading

Check the Prophet River web site, they have been having really good deals on RCBS Rockchucker kits. Cheers Roscoe
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Rcbs stuff is quite good.
Check out Natchez shooter supply out of the states for really good prices.

Rock chucker press
I love my charge master
Prep station
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Rcbs stuff is quite good.
Check out Natchez shooter supply out of the states for really good prices.

Rock chucker press
I love my charge master
Prep station
Wow! Nice gear list for sure, but a lot of coin for a guy on a budget.
I agree RCBS makes great gear, very smooth and over-built to last lifetimes, but expensive for a guy starting out.

I'd recommend you look at Lee, they make good equipment at a reasonable price. I started reloading with the Lee anniversary kit. The press and powder thrower are great, the scale is finicky to use but works. With the Lee kit, set of dies, calipers and a couple case prep tools you could start reloading for around 200 bucks.

Good luck
Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 PM

I think that reloading gear should be treated like optics. First, find the stuff you like and that is great quality. If you can't afford it, then save until you can. This way you dont have any disappointing "adventures" with crappy stuff. Just my opinion, and I realize its tough on a guy on a budget. Buy the good stuff once and have it forever, or buy mediocre stuff several times in your life and pay way more in the end.

Norm
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Smile e-day

Like the boys say the good stuff lasts forever, thats how it ends up on e-bay, just buy a good press, scale, powder measure, and a set of dies. It wont cost very much. If it is from the US make sure they send it by mail that is USPS, NOT ups.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM

so what are all the things that I would need to get started?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM

go on line and price out the kits. Some are better than others but they all get the job done so if RCBS is too much just shop around. none are failures. I like the lyman myself and use a lyman turret press. Besides the kit you will need calipers and dies. That should get u going. Granted, if you go with higher end stuff like RCBS u wont feel the need to upgrade in a yr or two.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Default Rcbs

I bought the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit from Prophet River at the Calgary gun show for $325.50, there is a $50 mail in rebate. they will ship the kit for $25 anywhere in Canada. Great deal.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM

I have a lock and load by hornady that I like. Also loaded on a rock chucker and was very nice.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 PM

The best bet when getting started is to get one of the kits. I use an RCBS and it is the cats ass. If I had to drop down one peg I would go with the lee.

Aside from the kit you should have a set of calipers, de-burring tool, primer pocket cleaner, a scale, and a lot of free time and attention to detail.

Some of the other items may come in a kit but being safe and staying focused on the task at hand are two things that are the most important. Unfortunatley you can't buy common sense at the store.

I would recommend getting a reloading manual as well they will give you safe places to start your load workups as there is a lot of stuff on the internet that isn't always good info.

Good luck stay safe.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her and i hunters forever View Post
I bought the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit from Prophet River at the Calgary gun show for $325.50, there is a $50 mail in rebate. they will ship the kit for $25 anywhere in Canada. Great deal.
X2. This price is good and with the rebate even better. Cheaper to get it as a kit vs. buying separately. You'll eventually need a tumbler to clean brass.

I found a place for half decent calipers from Fowler here in Canada... but they are more expensive than the cheap plastic calipers at BassPro, but better quality (Stainless steel with a gauge type display). If you buy real cheap calipers they'll quit working after a while.... at least the ones I picked up from Princess Auto did.... 1 year and now being replaced.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM

I have 2 calipers a canadian tire digital and a professional dial caliper. The crappy tire calipers are on sale for $15 bucks and the work and read great. Just as good as the $90 ones.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM

prophet river has a special on the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit, reg $39 on for $310...
is this worth looking into?

Schian
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM

Before going out and buying a setup. I would look into seeing if anyone has the powders, primers and bullets you want to use. Nothing worse then investing all that money and it just sitting there. But if you do get into it that rocker chucker at prophet river is a smoking deal.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
prophet river has a special on the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit, reg $39 on for $310...

Schian
Yes. It has everything you need to get started. Great price too.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Before going out and buying a setup. I would look into seeing if anyone has the powders, primers and bullets you want to use. Nothing worse then investing all that money and it just sitting there. But if you do get into it that rocker chucker at prophet river is a smoking deal.
Good advice....

Pick a bullet or two you want to load, then IMHO for .30-06 I would pick up some IMR/H4350, IMR/H4831, and/or some RL22 powder and some standard long rifle primers and some virgin brass.....the components are going to be harder to find than the gear for the reloading. (keep in mind IMR and H brand powders even though they have the same "numbers" are different powders with different burn rates)

Once you have the ingredients for the recipe then I would start to look at the mixing bowl and oven

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-15-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Good advice....

Pick a bullet or two you want to load, then IMHO for .30-06 I would pick up some IMR/H4350, IMR/H4831, and/or some RL22 powder and some standard long rifle primers and some virgin brass.....the compnoents are going to be harder to find than the gear for the reloading. (keep in mind IMR and H brand powders even though they have the same "numbers" are different powders with different burn rates)

Once you have the ingredients for the recipe then I would start to look at the mixing bowl and oven

LC
Great advice, thanks!

Schian
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post

Schian
Look in to shiping to befor you buy the kit is heavy and may cost a lot to get shipped! I have Been burnt by that befor! After shipping it was the same or more to by local!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Look in to shiping to befor you buy the kit is heavy and may cost a lot to get shipped! I have Been burnt by that befor! After shipping it was the same or more to by local!
It's $25 flat rate to ship to any province.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM

I would buy one of those kits before they are gone. Clay @ Prophet River said they only had a few left and they are a great kit at an awesome price. I have no ties to Prophet River.

Other things you will need are: dies specific to your calibre, a good set of dial calipers, brass, bullets, powder and primers.

Added some more thoughts: Don't get sucked into buying electronic scales and powder dispensers if you are on a budget. Sure it takes longer using a beam scale but no sense shelling out extra cash if you don't have to. Another thing you can do with out is a tumbler for cleaning your brass - 15 to 20 years ago it was unheard of to clean your brass. You can always hand wash your brass if you want to otherwise just wipe the brass down with a rag before putting them in your dies. If you have the 60-100 to spend have at er, just trying to point out things you don't really need to save you some coin.

Last edited by CheeseBurger; 04-15-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
I would buy one of those kits before they are gone. Clay @ Prophet River said they only had a few left and they are a great kit at an awesome price. I have no ties to Prophet River.

Other things you will need are: dies specific to your calibre, a good set of dial calipers, brass, bullets, powder and primers.

Added some more thoughts: Don't get sucked into buying electronic scales and powder dispensers if you are on a budget. Sure it takes longer using a beam scale but no sense shelling out extra cash if you don't have to. Another thing you can do with out is a tumbler for cleaning your brass - 15 to 20 years ago it was unheard of to clean your brass. You can always hand wash your brass if you want to otherwise just wipe the brass down with a rag before putting them in your dies. If you have the 60-100 to spend have at er, just trying to point out things you don't really need to save you some coin.
There are some good thoughts here. And if you have the money to spend on RCBS gear off the bat then more power to you! As said by others you may want to check on availability of components as some are scarce right now.

To get a better idea of what it takes to load ammo have a look at YouTube there are some good videos on there, I like the ones by Accuratewayz. There are also some not so good ones on YouTube so beware!
Also have a look here: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-238214.html
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
thats a great deal! I bought the Rock Chucker Master reloading kit.
Its a very good kit and have never had an issue.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM

Default consider multiple brand sourcing

Thing about getting a single-brand reloading kit is that not every item in any brand's kit it necessarily the most functional tool for YOUR needs.

I have gear from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, MTM because their tools suit my specific needs.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 PM

Do it right the first time. I recently had the same predicament. Landed myself a RCBS Master's kit, redding dies for my 308, and lee for my 45/70. Lots of other tools from other brands. Don't buy stuff that you'll need to replace in a wile, buy it to last and do it right.

As said above, don't worry about electronic scales. Beam scales work great! I love my beam, makes me really think about what im doing.

Your gun deserves the best
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM

Default best?

There is no "best" in reloading.
Most of the tools are quite good, and some are better for one's particular needs.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Thing about getting a single-brand reloading kit is that not every item in any brand's kit it necessarily the most functional tool for YOUR needs.

I have gear from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, MTM because their tools suit my specific needs.
Of course some tools from different manufactures may be better than others. ie Lee scale is a pain in the ass, I don't mean to pick on Lee , it was just the first example that came to mind. Sure in a perfect world you can pick and choose what tools you want from each company but that's going to cost you more vs a kit and the RCBS kit is a great kit.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
That is very competitive with a decent Lee kit and RCBS makes good stuff with a no hassle lifetime warranty. $40 bucks for a set of dies and you are away to the races. It was at least this costly to get into reloading 45 years ago. Reloading gear is one thing that is actually a whole bunch cheaper in today's dollars than it was 40 years ago.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 AM

I was thinking of just getting a lee loader kit, as I only have one cartridge to do for, and my round count per month is pretty low.

Plus my boss says I can do it while I am at work on the days that I do the over night shifts.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 AM

I have used Lee gear. It works. If you are low volume and always will be, Lee is a reasonable choice. By the time you buy the Lee kit, $220 however you will be into it for darn near what the better RCBS is on sale for, $275 and the Lee beam scale is a pain in the butt to use.

Strictly your choice though I presume you have read all of the above advice from the many guys that bought inexpensive to start with and ended up replacing it as they went along.