Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Fusion Ammo

Who out there shoots it?

Was looking at ammo for my 270 today, lots of guys at he gun counter speak very highly of it

How do you like it and what do you use it for?

Gramps
Old 02-23-2008, 07:29 PM

I've not put any into any game animals, but so far its grouped quite well on paper out of one of my .270 WSM's. I was getting 1.5" groups at 200m once she was sighted in. It was grouping better out of that Winchester than the "premium" ammo I wound up hunting with.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 PM

LOVE IT!!!! i wouldnt recommend it to much for the BIG BIG game in calibres less than 30cal though.

ive used it lots on .270's and it hits pretty hard. all 270's ive owned loved the 130 grainers. have a SPS stainless 300WM that cant get enough of FUSION. a fugly rem Model 710 i got for a song and sold for a killing, clover leafed 130 grain fusions.

Buy it, Love it, Shoot it

Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

I have killed 9 big game animals using Fusion ammo, all with great results, not one ever needing a follow up shot. I reload for everything I own but was given a few boxes of Fusion a few years back when it first came out. I was amazed by how well it shot out of my .270 so I headed to wholesale and bought fifteen boxes of it with all matching lot numbers.

Those 15 are long gone now but needless to say I don't reload for that rifle anymore. It works and works well!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
i wouldnt recommend it to much for the BIG BIG game in calibres less than 30cal though.

Why?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM

my cousin was hunting with my uncle last year for cow elk, uncle was for deer. My cousin jeff had a .270 Browning A-bolt and used 130 grainers, Uncle had a .300 win mag for his deer hunting.

they found a big ole cow, and my cousin jeff unloaded the gun on the cow elk, all behind the shoulder, he said you could tell the cow was stunned after each shot, like it was saying, "wtf?" his dad passed him his 300 win mag loaded with 180 grain fusions, and the cow was down like a train smacked it.

now, so they say........

ive used the .270 with 130's with great results.

and you got your guys who will say, "oh, she was dead, just didnt know it yet" And all the power to them. I am a firm believer that even though under 30cal kills, a calibre over 30 cal kills just that much better. let the flaming begin, thats my opinion, and no one can take it from me

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 02-23-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: cuz i cant spell worth a dam on a computer ;)
Old 02-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

thats my opinion, and no one can take it from me
Your right about that
Old 02-23-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
my cousin was hunting with my uncle last year for cow elk, uncle was for deer. My cousin jeff had a .270 Browning A-bolt and used 130 grainers, Uncle had a .300 win mag for his deer hunting.

they found a big ole cow, and my cousin jeff unloaded the gun on the cow elk, all behind the shoulder, he said you could tell the cow was stunned after each shot, like it was saying, "wtf?" his dad passed him his 300 win mag loaded with 180 grain fusions, and the cow was down like a train smacked it.

now, so they say........

ive used the .270 with 130's with great results.

and you got your guys who will say, "oh, she was dead, just didnt know it yet" And all the power to them. I am a firm believer that even though under 30cal kills, a calibre over 30 cal kills just that much better. let the flaming begin, thats my opinion, and no one can take it from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Your right about that
but i would like to add, im talking about the fusion bullet in my comments, and only the fusion bullet.

id use a premium heavier constructed bullet in smaller calibres than a .30 on elk and moose sized game
Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM

My dad shot an Eland in Africa with the 300 and a 180 grain bullet. It was a perfect mushroom and it held together better than most of the recovered bullets I have seen and that would be a lot.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM

my cousin shot two does with fusion 180 grains outa my 300wsm no penetration what so ever they just went splat upon impact put a huge hole in the deer but no dang penetration it was terrible to see wasted meat and an injured deer that took some time to pass
Old 02-25-2008, 05:38 PM

Thumbs up Love the fusion !

And not just because its cheap ! It actually shoot very well out of my .270, better than any " premium " ammo I have tried so far. I went to the 150gr as I hope to take a moose or elk with it. SO far it has accounted for 6 deer at ranges from 15 yards to 250. Complete pass through on all, BANG FLOP on all but one, that one ran 20 yards with no heart or lung to speak of.
1 WT I got this year was at 15 yards, the bullet actually passed through about a 6 inch diameter poplar before hitting the deer in the neck. No problem with penetration there, even at 15 yards at about 2900 fps.

Hard to believe total bullet failure like posted above...but you never know.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 PM

300wsm I find it very hard to believe you did not get penetration from this bullet especially out of that calibre and for a deer. They are bonded bullets. That puts them to about equal of the Interbond and the Accubond bullet. From my experience with the Eland which is the size of a Brama bull it is hard to believe you were using the bullet we are talking about. On the Eland it went through 2 shoulders and ended up on the inside of the fur on the oposite side. I would bet weight retention was better than 80% if not near 90%.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Shot my moose last year with 270wsm fusion 150gr. I thought they performed well and my shot placement was not ideal. great mushroom and weight retention. also did a number to the chest of my wt buck. great inexpensive ammo. well worth the price.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM

i am serious you dont have to beieve me but i know what i saw maybe it was a bad batch i dont know
Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM

I have had good luck with Fusion loads. Used them in a 7MM Mag, a 270, and a 308. Nice groupings at the range and I was impressed with the holes they put in some of the animals.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

i shot a cow moose with 130 gr fusion out of my .270 at 200 yrds broadside this year....complete pass through the lungs with exit hole about same size as entrance(1") and hit rib on way out forsure (can't remember if i checked the entrance side to see if rib hit on way in or not?)...bet i wouldn't have gotten and exit if using 130 gr ballistic tips but never tried it...pretty sure these bullets are alot tougher than they let on by all the 'deer' hype they advertise...i think they can advertise them for all critters safely