Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Default 2 3/4" vs. 3"

Hey guys don't know if this has come up yet but I am looking into buying a new shotgun in a couple months but what I want to know is what is better I have had people argue that you need 3" for geese or any waterfowl hunting then I been told that 2 3/4" is all you need 3" is slower and just has more lead (pellets) Not actual lead. Would like to hear your guys opinion.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Most hunting shotguns sold now have either 3" or 3-1/2" chambers. You generally only see 2-3/4" chambers on trap,skeet, and sporting clays shotguns. For goose hunting with steel, I would likely use 3" loads myself, because my semi auto produces very little felt recoil with them. For pheasant or upland birds, I use a 20 or 28 gauge O/U gun.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 AM

All my partner uses in his 1100 Remington is 2 3/4" and he has no issues killing geese with factory Dry-Locs.
Last year I shot a bit of 12 gauge at waterfowl , and used bith 2 3/4" and a few 3" shells - both killed well.
Normally i use a 20 gauge or a black powder 12 bore with the same excellent results over decoys.
Cat
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

I cant see any harm in getting a shotgun with a 3" chamber. These days its pretty hard to find a hunting shotgun without. I think 3 1/2" is uneccessary though. I've used both 2 3/4 and 3" shells and the results seem to be pretty similar. Generaly I use 2 3/4 for smaller shot sizes and got up to 3" with larger shot.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:10 AM

my browning silver has a 3.5" chamber so it can shoot anything, but its been eating 2 3/4 skeet loads with no problems at all for the last few months every weekend at the range. i would suggest to buy one that can handle both ,then you can shoot whatever you want through it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 AM

I have been shooting 2 3/4 but just ordered a shot gun with 3 inch capability because last year I had to search all over gods green earth to find enough steel 2 3/4 to last me through the waterfowl season. So think about getting a three inch even if you still want to shoot 2 3/4.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Orrr find one thats capable of shooting all three then you only have to decide what to put down the barrel lol
Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 AM

If your a friend of Cat the Hat your shotgun skills are probably eerie. If you are a mere human like the rest of us I would recommend a 3-1/2" as to reduce crippling on less than ideal shot placement and I have found Black Cloud ammo to also help reduce cripples.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
If your a friend of Cat the Hat your shotgun skills are probably eerie. If you are a mere human like the rest of us I would recommend a 3-1/2" as to reduce crippling on less than ideal shot placement and I have found Black Cloud ammo to also help reduce cripples.
My 12 bore skeet scores today were certainly not in the "eerie" class , in fact I shot my 20 just as well.
Cat