Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default Just another reminder

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ultra-long-range.htm
Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
LOL, for some reason it seems like a quick way to get someone to dissagree with a practical statement around here is to bring up Chuck Hawks. Good luck.

Last edited by Cal; 04-19-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Fine article if you are interested in only hold over hunting. With the application of elevation and windage turrets or ballistic reticles like the Zeiss or velocity reticle from night force as well as parallax adjustment this article holds little weight to me. If I find an acceptably accurate long range round and you know how to shoot it, you can far exceed the MPBR with experience. Obviously this involves using the correct bullet for the expected velocity upon impact with an animal and knowing the ballistics of its flight inside and out.

A 180 gr high BC bullet out of the same 7mm ultra mag is far superior to a 150 gr bullet mentioned because it flies better and involves less wind drift. Who cares what the maximum point blank range is? Bullet energy upon impact and delivering that to the boiler room is what matters. I can adjust for the extra drop of the heavier bullet. If you have the skills required you can take animals in the right circumstances out to whatever your experience shows is acceptable. 1000 yards plus is possible, but you need to know you can do it with practice, not buy a rifle that is said to be set-up and go out as a beginner and just dial and shoot.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, know that I have shot out to 1000 yards many times in practice, but depending upon my rifle choice on that day, I don't see myself taking a shot at an animal past 600 yards as that is the distance I know I have the required energy and experience to make an ethical kill. And FYI, I have never taken an animal past 250, but I know I have the equipment to do it in the right conditions. I also know when to say its not a certain shot and hold off pulling the trigger.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

I'm a dial up fan too, especially for anything over 600 but multiple aim point reticles work good up to that...and as u mention, cartridge choice plays a factor in what can drive the right bullets to minimum impact velocities at the distance u want to play. Ie; the 270 win is a 600 yrd cartridge...where the 270 wsm is a solid 750 yrd cartridge driving same 140 gr accubonds to the nosler recommended min impact velocity of 1800 fps....so why shoot the wsm if 600 is your distance cap? I have both, one I set up as an 800 yrd build so I needed the extra speed from the magnum case to do it with the bullet I wanted to use, my latest rig all I expect out of it is up to 550-600 and so I chose the regular 270 win. When it comes to hunting cartridge questions the 270 win is one of the very best answers going, and should be used more often than it is.