Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Default Fly Rod Repair

Hey guys,

Anyone know a good place here in Calgary to fix my Sage 8wt Rod. Broke the tip off ( not sure how much is broken ) but sage is 4-5 weeks for repairs. Hoping to find a local place with good rep to help me out a little faster

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 AM

I'm mostly thinking out loud here, but I wonder if Pieroway Rods could help you since they build custom rods here in Calgary? Might be worth a phone call.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Yes they are on the list to call, they are closed today though
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Is Sage going to repair or replace the tip piece. If they are going to replace it is certainly worth waiting for.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaughan View Post
Hey guys,

Anyone know a good place here in Calgary to fix my Sage 8wt Rod. Broke the tip off ( not sure how much is broken ) but sage is 4-5 weeks for repairs. Hoping to find a local place with good rep to help me out a little faster

Cheers,
Mike
It is a somewhat expensive service (I think $75 USD), but Sage will hand-make you a perfect section for your rod then Fed Ex it back to you (a service that is worth $40 all by itself). It is a long wait, but it is not a repair as much as it is a replacement. Sometimes it can be pretty quick. I think I have received a replacement within 3 weeks.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:43 PM

Sage told me $95 USD plus shipping and 4-5 week turn around currently.

With freight we are at least $150 cad now, plus hoping for faster turn around I would like to fish some more
Old 07-16-2018, 06:33 PM

Default Loaner?

I recall breaking a rod on a fishing trip. While rod was sent off to Sage for repairs the local fly shop provided me with a very nice sage rod as a loaner at no extra charge. Not sure if this still happens but might be worth an inquiry.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM

I have sent dozens of rods back to sage over the years - there is now a cost (used to be free) and a bit of a wait but well worth it and personally the only way I would go about such a repair - it will come back good as new.

If you are in a time crunch and you can provide either collateral or proof that you are not going to run away with it I can probably loan you a sage 8wt - I have a few kicking around here (calgary)

Cheers
Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaughan View Post
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Mike
If you lost only an inch or two then take it to any trout shop and buy a new tip guide that fits onto the shaft. Put it on with hot glue as the factory does. Send it back to Sage after the season when not needed for a few weeks. You cannot effectively "Repair" a graphite rod - Sage will replace the section.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I have sent dozens of rods back to sage over the years - there is now a cost (used to be free) and a bit of a wait but well worth it and personally the only way I would go about such a repair - it will come back good as new.

If you are in a time crunch and you can provide either collateral or proof that you are not going to run away with it I can probably loan you a sage 8wt - I have a few kicking around here (calgary)

Cheers
I appreciate the offer, thank you. I would just be to paranoid using someones rod. Would be to scared to break it. For now I will just fix the tip and come this winter I will send in the piece they are requesting and get it replaced. Thank you all for the tips
Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 AM

As noted above, if its just a few inches bring the section to FishTales and they'll have a tip top piece that'll fit. Call and ask when Wayne is working (he usually works once a week) and bring the piece to him. He's the shop's rod building expert and will be able to tell you whether or not it's fixable, what your options are, etc.