Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Turney

Default NAFA Top lot cert.

Any body else get a certificate for selling top lot in the NAFA spring sale. I didn't realize the nafa did this, what a nice surprise. It was my first year shipping to them and I got top otter and top semi-heavy coyote.
So who else did well on the sale?

GL trapping this year

Turney
Old 09-27-2003, 11:11 AM
top lot

Default top lot

Turney, I got 5, 2 for semiheavy coyote, 2 for heavy coyote and 1 for badger.:rollin
Old 10-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Nafa

Default Nafa

Everyone who send fur to nafa gets a prize that is why they do it, to make you feel special. It is nice but don't let it go to your head as everyone at one time or another gets them. The first time I sent to them I recieved one for beaver. I have never had one again.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:46 PM
critter

Default NAFA

Nafa does not give a prize to everyone who sends in fur. You get a top lot certificate when your fur makes the "top lot" ie. highest price group in a given category. A trapper can take pride in the fact that his area produced a fur equal to the best in the country, and he did a good job of preparing it, it gives you something to shoot for, pardon the pun. Nafa gets slogged a fair bit on this site, but all in all, they have been good to me. We have the family membership that gives a discount on commission, and one way to look at it is, all of your fur is graded and placed along side everyone elses, thus you should get a fair price. You have to be pretty knowledgeable to go one on one with a fur buyer, and debate the value of each hide. Usually they will pay big money for one or two, then make it up on several mid quality hides, in my experience, anyways.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:34 PM
top lot

Default top lot

I got one this spring also. My first of hopefully, many.
Most people I know who ship, have got one. But the ones that are for the hard to process furs are the best to get.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Tim Wilcox

Default Re: top lot

I have heard so many horror stories about NAFTA that I'm selling mine at the local fur auction this year.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:38 PM
aka bushmaster

Default Re: top lot

Tim, you're lucky to have all the local auctions. To the best of my knowledge, we don't have that option.