Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Snaring tips

Default Snaring tips

Yea i Have jut recently stared to look up on snares
i have a bush about 10 minutes from my house and it is filled with rabbits

since im only 13 i don't have a hunting license yet and my shot with my pellet gun isn't good enough to get a rabbit

i would just like some information on how to set up a snare and where. i searched all over the web and people are just telling stories

it would really help if i got some diagrams

Thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 PM
rabbit snares

Default rabbit snares

i dont know how to snare them but i know how to catch them in a box trap. You have to make a wooden bow with an open side and the other side with window sceran it. Then u have to have a wooden door attached to a hinge on is. Then u have to have a pressure pad in it so when the rabbit steps on it the door snaps shut.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:45 AM
re:Rabit snares

Default re:Rabit snares

I believe that on private lands, rabbits can be hunted at all times of the year without a hunters license. so if you have a .22 or a shotgunt, and an adult with you, you don't have to snare them.
I could be wrong so check your hunting regulations to be sure.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:27 PM
snaring rabbits

Default snaring rabbits

to snare rabbits you must find a well used trail in the snow where the bush is quite low to the ground. then you tie your snare to a soild branch and place it 1 hand width off the ground. the loop should be 4 inches. You can buy snare wire at canadian tire. to tie a loop just tie a simple over hand knot. when I first tried this i set 2 snares and caught 2 rabbits the next day. Always check your snares daily or else the magpies will get your rabbit. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:50 AM
rabbit snares

Default rabbit snares

Go to ask jeeves and type in rabbit snares.there are some good diagrams there.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:56 PM
how to snar rabbit

Default how to snar rabbits

go to the stor and buy snar wier.reach some of the snar wier to your arm pit.cut the snar wier at your armpit.bend the tip of the wier and twist the wier with pliers.stik the other end of the wier in the lop.go to the woods and cut a tree down and cut the the tree into 2 foot pesses and sharpen the bodom of the peaces of wood.go over and find trails and stik a peace of wood next to it .tie the bodom of the snar onto the peace of wood.check them every day and good luck.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Rabbit Snares

Default Rabbit Snares

Hey,
snaring rabbits isnt that difficult of a process. You want to have a good 4 inches of snow before you start snaring and once u do, walk through the place where u want to snare. look for a rabbit trail that has been used steadily. Dont walk in the trail but u can walk beside it. making snares are easy adn i suspect u know how to make one. Just set the snare so it is about 3-4 inches above the ground! your snare opening should be big enough to just fit a mans clinched fist through without touching the edges of the snare. Have Fun and good luck .
Old 01-22-2004, 08:53 AM
rabbit snares

Default rabbit snares

hi i heard u were having a bit of a problem with rabbits if u have a gun with no scopes its no good .uneed 2 get scopes for a proper head shot or u can just put poison down the hole or bye ur self a ferrit there not dear abought £3-£5 i used to have 11 of them but they all died becouse there hart wasent produced right.if u need eany more info just e mail me at chrisgirdwood@yahoo.co.uk hope 2 speek 2 u soon
Old 01-22-2004, 08:57 AM
rabbits

Default rabbits

hi its ok if your out with an adult and if u no the farmer i go out with my pals with guns on a farm hope 2 speek 2 u soon chrisgirdwood@yahoo.co.uk
Old 01-24-2004, 12:48 PM
winged1

Default Re: rabbits

In your bush, locate the more well used trails, generally the ones that lead from one thicket to the next. And as mentioned, don't walk on them. Set a snare on the trail as mentioned using about a 4" loop set about 4" off the ground. Some overhead obstacle that confines thier movement is a good set. Make sure it is secure to a branch. repeat, setting about 1/2 doz snares. Your placement should not be in the thick of things, or in the open, but in the transitional cover. Your group of sets should cover the width of the bunny cover, including all major trails. Now all you need to do is to circle around and push the bunnies through the snared area. They are going to be live when you catch one, so be prepared to dispatch of it in a humane manner. Allowing one to die in a non locking snare overnight is not my idea of humane. Be careful not to disturb the trail, as you can reset the snare and push those bunnies back the other way. I wouldn't try to push more than say 50 yds of bush on either side of the sets. Which means as you approach the sets, and if you've seen bunnies ahead, but non in the snares, then circle around and push them back. Once you've caught a few, or scared the hell out of them with several pushes, collect your snares (don't leave them out ) and select another good looking section of bush to do it all over again. In my young days I was able to do about 3 different sets, snaring up to a dozen bunnies (on those good years) in about four hours. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:57 AM
NS Beagler

Default Re: rabbits

Where are you guys snareing your rabbits? I am looking for places to hunt them.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:12 AM
how to snare

Default how to snare

find agood worn rabbit trail put a stake on either side and tie arope between. take some thin strong wire and make a lasso on one end twist the other end around the rope until its about a foot of the ground. happy snaring