Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-24-2003, 10:22 PM
bullets for coyotes

Default bullets for coyotes

I shoot a 22-250 and was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of bullet weight and type to use for coyotes that won't damage a lot of fur? I was thinking of 40 gr. bullets and using nosler ballistic tips.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Cowboy

Default bullets

Nube:

I shoot the sierra 55g HPBT. It is accurate in my heavy barrel(1/2 " ---100yds) I have shot about 50 yotes with this combo and really like it. One coyote was shot over a dead cow and had a full belly of meat. The bullet did not exit the other side.It seems my 22-250 likes this bullet ,yours may be different.----Cowboy
Old 12-27-2003, 05:00 PM
poppaK

Default Re: bullets

I have seen a slightly reduced 22-250 load that worked wonders on groundhogs and coyotes that used the now discontinued 55 grain sierra roundnose solid base bullet in front of 26.0 grains of IMR 4895. You could reproduce this load roughly using a 55grain Hornady spire point and 38.0 grains of H414.
If you don't reload,I would think any of the factory loads of 45 grains with either a polycarbonate tip or a hollow point bullet would make you a bane to the existence of any song dogs caught in the open-the K
Old 01-30-2004, 11:31 PM
ruger300

Default Re: bullets

Mine and my buddy's favorite 'yote load in our 22-250 are currently 50gr V-Max handloaded to our specs. So far after 5yrs of shooting these bullets we have never had an exit wound and a pin-hole for entry. They work good for us. Has anyone used a 50gr Ballistic Tip, either nosler or CT brand in their 22-250 ? Been thinking of trying these out as of lately. I've read they might penetrate more than the V-Max.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:31 AM
kodiak338

I was using the 50gr Nosler Ballistic tip in my 22-250 Rem VLS and shooting coyotes in the middle of the chest while calling. I shot 5 a few weeks ago and the holes were all about the size of a quarter to a loonie, to big for my taste. I switched to Hornady v-max moly coated 50gr and took 3 a couple days ago and there was no exit and the hole was the size of the .22. Much better.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:03 PM
ruger300

Hey Kodiak338, was that a entry hole or a exit hole. I don't mind sewing one hole. How did the BT floor the dog. I don't like tracking through all this deep snow we're gettin'. Should just stick to the V-Max is what your tellin' me. What kind of accuracy were you gettin' with your Rem VLS & Nos. BT? Just curious. I havn't tried them in my Ruger M77VT. How is the 'yote huntin' in your area? I havn't been able to call one in 'round here all season. "Here is 'round Onoway/Rich Valley area" Started doubting my calling techniques till I went up to Goose Lake and called a small male in from 300 yds. ( Probably a young of the year and stupid...but a 'yote called in is a 'yote). Anyhow I'm running off topic. Shoot straight and stay warm.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:20 AM
kodiak338

Default bullets for coyotes

Hello ruger300
That was an entry hole with no exit. Most of my shots are placed middle of the chest looking at me but I will be going with the V-Max for next year. The BT's shoot well out of my Rem. at about 1/2"groups, same with the V-Max. I will work up a re-load this summer. I do most of my coyote hunting not far from you near Lac St.Anne. I went out a couple weeks ago and shot 3 in about an hour a half calling.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:30 PM
ruger300

Thanks Kodiak338.
Think I'll be stickin' with the V-Max. They do shoot good with little damage and I have a bunch. What type of powder do you shoot in yer 22-250 load? Been shooting H380 as of lately but been kinda thinkin' bout trying some Varget. The books show a little more pressure but more velocity. The flatter I can make the 'yote pill travel the better.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:09 PM
kodiak338

ruger300
I just bought the rifle and will not be working up a load until the spring when it's warmer for testing. I also want to take it in to get the trigger done as it is way to stiff. Would like it at about 2lbs. But I will be using the V-Max for sure.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 PM
ruger300

Here's to warmer weather kodiak338. Just on your rem. trigger. Before I would take it in to be lightened (along with your wallet) if your interested I happen to have an excellent gunsmithing book that gives detailed instruction how to lighten the remington's trigger. It does say however he doesn't recomend below 3 pounds with the factory trigger. If your interested in the info. get back to me on this subject and I will go dig out that book and let you know. My buddy and I did the trigger on his Rem. VS and believe me 3pounds is pretty fine. He just put a Timmney into that gun this christmas and if you want a 'scary' trigger that is meant to be that light, that's the one.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:23 AM
kodiak338

ruger300
If it's not to much trouble I would like the info. If you find it let me know and I will get you my E-Mail address so you can send it to me. I had a Ruger KM77VT MKII bull barrel 25-06 and had the trigger taken down to 2 lbs and I really liked it. I sold the gun though and bought my Rem VLS bull barrel 22-250. I have heard that the Rem. can only go to about 3 lbs but that would still be alot better that the 6 1/2 or 7 lbs that it is now. Thanks for the reply.
Kodiak338.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
ruger300

You betcha Kodiak, after I posted that I went and found that book. If you give me your e-mail address I will type out the details and send them your way, asap. Nothing better than shooting an accurate varmint gun with a sweet trigger pull, especially if your trigger pull is that high!!! Yikes...
ruger300.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
kodiak338

Hello ruger300
That would be great if you could send it to b.birch@shaw.ca I will give it a try. It's so stiff right now that I pull all my shots a little right waiting for the trigger to break. Thanks again.
Kodiak338.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:50 PM
ruger300

Consider it done. Should be there tonight. If any questions just ask. I typed it as it appears in my book. Get back to me as to how it worked.

ruger300.