Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Pigeon lake Access

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is truck access onto the lake at Mulhurst or is the ice heave still bad?Heading out tomorrow to try and fill some tags and enjoy a good day not having to work.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Can't answer your question but I'm also heading out tomorrow to unload my shack. I'll check out Mulhurst but will probably try the provincial park side this year. Hopefully the access there is ok.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 PM

you can get on at Grandview, no idea about the others.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM

Mulhurst access is great now. Driving off the path is a little tough in areas where it drifted. Fishing is slow
Old 02-14-2019, 03:47 PM

Provincial park has great access and only a few inches of hard packed snow. Fishing is slow here also
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
Provincial park has great access and only a few inches of hard packed snow. Fishing is slow here also
Slow is an understatement. Saw 2 pike way off on camera and the only fish to come near is a whitefish. Not one wally to come by in 4 hrs. Fishing off the point by silver beach. Hopefully they show up at dark.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:48 PM

I only fished from 1:30 to about 4:15, saw 4 pike on the camera and something else in the distance, marked about 4 or 5 others on the flasher, so in the end it wasn't too bad. No bites though, but I did finally get the shack on the ice!!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
I only fished from 1:30 to about 4:15, saw 4 pike on the camera and something else in the distance, marked about 4 or 5 others on the flasher, so in the end it wasn't too bad. No bites though, but I did finally get the shack on the ice!!
The bite kicked in at 6. 2 of us have landed 11 wallys so far. All A and B class
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 PM

Of course... I have B class tags...

I would have stayed longer but didn't feel like reloading the wood stove...
Old 02-17-2019, 09:17 AM

Prov park was dead yesterday ; during the day anyway. We fished from 8;00 to 3;00 and didnt even see or get a bite. Ice is approx 24''..
Old 02-17-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Prov park was dead yesterday ; during the day anyway. We fished from 8;00 to 3;00 and didnt even see or get a bite. Ice is approx 24''..
I’ve never had any luck at the drop off in front of the PP from late January on. They seem to move north or to deeper water. Weird how many are there in the summer to next to nothing now. How deep is the snow out there? Mulhurst side is getting hard to drive.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I’ve never had any luck at the drop off in front of the PP from late January on. They seem to move north or to deeper water. Weird how many are there in the summer to next to nothing now. How deep is the snow out there? Mulhurst side is getting hard to drive.
Ya, i dont usually fish the pp in the winter. The internet was saying that the bite was hot so i of course fell for it. The snow was maybe 6'' with drifts that were higher but a 2wd truck wouldnt have any problems. How is the mulhurst side been for walleye action ?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Ya, i dont usually fish the pp in the winter. The internet was saying that the bite was hot so i of course fell for it. The snow was maybe 6'' with drifts that were higher but a 2wd truck wouldnt have any problems. How is the mulhurst side been for walleye action ?
The bite is ok but only after 4. Had luck around the point by silver beach in about 12-14 fow. Make sure you have some rocks under ya. Caught a lot of nice northerns there as well. Seen whites ever time but they are only cruising by and never stop.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 AM

Tried the pp yesterday, normally I go to Mulhurst but thought i would give it a try, set up at 4:30 pm, nothing until 6 pm then a few bites and filled a A class tag. F&W were checking when we arrived, they said it was slow, very few people catching anything.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Grandview side has been slow as well. Hopefully things pick up before the shack comes off.
Best of luck to everyone.
Cheers,
SS
Old 02-20-2019, 05:29 PM

Filled our A tags in a few hours this morning. Not a ton of action, but all the fish we caught were nice.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM

Pls forward gps coordinates
Old 02-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Hitting silver beach this afternoon. Hoping someone blazes me a trail out there before 2. Hitting the lake before the dam winds fire up tomorrow. Good luck to all this weekend.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:26 PM

How did it go today Racker? I am planning to head out tomorrow for the afternoon / evening fish. I will give the Mulhurst area a go....
Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka Hunter View Post
How did it go today Racker? I am planning to head out tomorrow for the afternoon / evening fish. I will give the Mulhurst area a go....
Unreal this afternoon on wallys.I was by myself and caught 23.I even got to tag a C class fish!I started fishing at 3 and hooked up a northern on the jawjacker even before i was done setting up the tent.Walleye started to move in around 430 and it was good /great till I packed up around 745 due to the dam wind.They were biting hard in spurts but it was constant.Best day ive had out there this year.Now if only more small ones liked my hooks.Was fishing by the point at silver beach in about 10 fow.Got to meet a great forum member today as well.Best of luck to everyone heading out this weekend!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Sounds like you had a great day, thank you for sharing!!
Old 02-24-2019, 01:19 AM

Sounds like a good evening Racker, congrats! How was the access to get to Silver Beach, you got out there with a truck or quad/sled?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Sounds like a good evening Racker, congrats! How was the access to get to Silver Beach, you got out there with a truck or quad/sled?
I got on with a truck on Friday evening but there was a deep trail broke out to that area. With all the wind and snow Saturday it might be tough to get to that area from Mulhurst now. Someone has a stock trailer out there so I’d imagine they will keeping a path to access it. There are spots where the snow is hard packed and deep so it is hard to get through but some people love a challenge but I hate shoveling.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Hello

I am not much of a walleye fisher and need to get out to fill my pigeon tags for the year. What have you been using for a bait? minnow on a bare jig? About a 3" minnow? 1/4 oz jig head? Any colour working better?

I have 1/4 oz pink jigs and will grab minnows on the way. I usually target perch all winter. Thanks for any help in this.

TF
Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 PM

we were betwwen the pp and zeiner yesterday. My cousin filled a class c tag and we caught 2 small jacks. Day was very slow and very windy out...
Old 02-24-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I got on with a truck on Friday evening but there was a deep trail broke out to that area. With all the wind and snow Saturday it might be tough to get to that area from Mulhurst now. Someone has a stock trailer out there so I’d imagine they will keeping a path to access it. There are spots where the snow is hard packed and deep so it is hard to get through but some people love a challenge but I hate shoveling.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM

going to give it a try this wkd. was hoping for warmer weather but looks like its going to get chilly again for the wkd. I better bring some extra wood for the stove I guess.
Hope the fish are biting. Good luck to all.
Cheers,
SS
Old 02-27-2019, 11:22 AM

Is access still good at PP? Going to go out for the evening bite. Or how about mulhurst?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:38 AM

So to answer my own question access is good at Mulhurst. Definitely need 4x4 but it’s pretty easy going.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:06 AM

How was the fishing Rider? thanks for letting us know that Mulhurst is good. I will be going on at Grandview tonight... Hopefully. LOL