Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What lake you you most want to fish?
Rainbow trout only 7 6.73%
Brook trout only 7 6.73%
Brown trout only 7 6.73%
Tiger trout only 9 8.65%
Rainbow, brook and brown trout 42 40.38%
Tigers and rainbows 24 23.08%
Brook and brown trout 14 13.46%
Rainbows and brown trout 11 10.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Default What trout fishing species fishery interests you the most?

If you were planning a trout fishing trip does the trout species matter?

When it comes to stocked species what is your preference?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2018, 07:20 PM

I fish several lakes that have multi species. Fisheremen get a real kick outta something different that rainbows.
I listened to a guy whooping it up who caught s 12” tiger on Beaver this fall. He had come to Beaver for a chance to catch a Tiger.

I have meet anumber of people who go to Mitchell to catch browns and could care less about the tiny rainbows.

Don
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 AM

All of the above

Actually I do not need another rainbow fishery so anything but that. As for the rest of the species I'm actively searching for fisheries for all of them. You should add cutthroat and the other char species to the list as well. Some of them I've satisfied a bit this year but looking for another good brookie fishery as well as others on the list.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 AM

I travel east for 2 reasons species & SIZE.Now that AB. has Tigers ,i may not have to go that far east.It really is tragic the the govt.,couldn't have got there ducks in a row.To protect them.Browns are also high on my list,as are brook trout.But the latter definitely needs regs & tripoloided fish to it least reach some sizes>12".
Old 11-12-2018, 06:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cut throats pan size.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2018, 07:07 AM
Banned

Browns and tigers, but you don’t have it listed
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Browns & bulls the other species of trout/char just seem to fall short

I have not caught tigers so can’t judge them yet

Last edited by Smoky buck; 11-12-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM

I fish a lot of different streams and creeks. If I catch a Brook, or a Brown or a Cutthroat, or a Rainbow it doesn't really matter.

I have lake fished for trout or any species in the summer for many years, that will change next spring and summer, as I plan to target a few of the stocked fisheries.

I have quit fishing for food, not that I care if someone eats a fish or three, its a personal choice.

BW
Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM

Love browns ! Have a hard time fishing for anything else lol. Don't mind catching nice rainbows too
Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I travel east for 2 reasons species & SIZE.Now that AB. has Tigers ,i may not have to go that far east.It really is tragic the the govt.,couldn't have got there ducks in a row.To protect them.Browns are also high on my list,as are brook trout.But the latter definitely needs regs & tripoloided fish to it least reach some sizes>12".
Those days are over. They have varied limits now. Much like anywhere else.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:30 PM

Default Yes.

Not sure I make sense of the poll. Why no cutthroat? They're in lakes as well...

To your question in your post; yes, species does matter when I am planning a trip. I like to fit in a variety of species during the season, from arctic grayling to cutts to stocked rainbows.

As for stocked species, I like them all. I end up fishing for rainbows because that's the most common fish stocked. So I do enjoy fishing for other species in stillwaters like brookies, browns, and tigers. Nice to see AEP stocking more browns and tigers recently.

Bottom line; I like variety. More often than not, species is a function of location, and that is a function of whether I am doing a day trip from Edmonton or going overnight.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:05 PM

Not all on that list are true Trout!!

And no Golden’s on the list either!!

-Confucius
Old 11-13-2018, 07:02 PM

There’s a private lake that has Arctic char in them. I’d like to see more of everything in pothole lakes... minus dumb rainbows
Old 11-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
There’s a private lake that has Arctic char in them. I’d like to see more of everything in pothole lakes... minus dumb rainbows
X2. In totally landlocked small reservoirs and lakes it would be nice to see some crappies, pumpkinseed and other panfish. Alberta does allow private stockings of freshwater prawns so it might be doable.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
X2. In totally landlocked small reservoirs and lakes it would be nice to see some crappies, pumpkinseed and other panfish. Alberta does allow private stockings of freshwater prawns so it might be doable.
The fact they can reproduce in contained waters they could maintain a population without heavy restalking

Pumpkinseed would be a poor choice do to their small size and habit of stunting. Crappie and some of the other panfish are better options

But I am not a fan of stocking fish that cannot reproduce do to the on going cost of restalking. Stalking fish in waters that they can thrive just seems more productive long term
Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

lol. Oh good grief Peter, colloquialism, colloquialism!! They're all..."trout"
(Even the ones that are slightly "chary" in appearance...)

Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
...Stalking fish in waters...
I personally love stalking fish in waters...

Sorry, in a smart-alec mood tonight. Must be cause the Oil beat the Habs!
Old 11-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Ain't gonna analyze the thread (as everyone and their dog beat me to it) brooks browns and rainbow, variety is good.
Where I fly fish for walleye, I can catch walleye, pike and browns on the same fly in the same hole, I like that, it is good!
Old 11-14-2018, 01:26 PM

I'm not even in Alberta, but saw the thread title and poked my nose in.

For me, the species comes first..then the nicest (=place I like the most) spot to get them. Here in Ontario, you don't always get to choose, meaning if you want a specific species and don't want to drive all day to get there, you may only have 1 or 2 options. Lots of things factor into that, especially in Southern Ontario where I am. With that said, we're surrounded by great lakes (Ontario, Huron, Superior) and the runs of great lakes steelhead/salmon can be quite remarkable. Allot of my own fishing centers around that in recent years, driving up to Lake Superior (7 hours) in the fall to fish for whatever is moving into the rivers on a given day. It's not impossible (in a 3-4 days of fishing) to catch brook trout (likely small), steelhead, chinoook salmon, coho salmon and pink salmon, smallmouth bass~all within a few miles of river. Would I trade that for the ability to fish for cutthroat using dry flies? Probably.

In the south here, we have a couple of small/healthy streams beating the odds...and producing some sizable wild browns. One of them has a naturally sustained brook trout population too. 2 hours from my house I can carefully approach the Niagara River and try to winch some sizable lake trout and steelhead from the very intimidating amount of water swirling around down there. I've done this on a few occasions, mostly caught steelhead..and have seen the odd chinook/laker. I've caught lakers from the Niagara, but from a boat.

If after something exotic, I believe Ontario has the only population of Aurora Trout, limited to 2 lakes if I'm not mistaken. I think your ability to fish those is on alternate years to protect them. Remote location, so I haven't taken that one on. We have the Nipigon in the north, and if you like brook trout...it's where the largest one caught came from. In terms of distance~if I drive that many hours south instead of north~I'd be in Florida. lol
Old 11-14-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post

I was going to say goldens too, or even cutties, since I love some of the higher lakes we have in the province.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
I personally love stalking fish in waters...

Sorry, in a smart-alec mood tonight. Must be cause the Oil beat the Habs!
All good as long as you’re a good sport when the tables turn
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 AM
AO Sponsor

GIVE US SPLAKE!!!!!

WE WANT SPLAKE!!!

(give it to us raw and wrigglin')
Old 11-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Not sure I make sense of the poll. Why no cutthroat? They're in lakes as well...

To your question in your post; yes, species does matter when I am planning a trip. I like to fit in a variety of species during the season, from arctic grayling to cutts to stocked rainbows.

As for stocked species, I like them all. I end up fishing for rainbows because that's the most common fish stocked. So I do enjoy fishing for other species in stillwaters like brookies, browns, and tigers. Nice to see AEP stocking more browns and tigers recently.

Bottom line; I like variety. More often than not, species is a function of location, and that is a function of whether I am doing a day trip from Edmonton or going overnight.
No cutthroats because list is stocked non natives only. Rainbows basically non natives stocking yet natives are coming.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-17-2018, 09:45 AM

What i get chuckle outta is the few votes for rainbows although that is been the traditional trout stocked.
This poll very much demonstrates how far outta step tbe Fisheries Biologists are with the client base.

Don
Old 11-17-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
No cutthroats because list is stocked non natives only. Rainbows basically non natives stocking yet natives are coming.
Where are the JLJL Job Lake cutthroat from? I'm not sure...thought it was a Marvel strain originally....make them native, no?

Anyways, I was a little confused about the intent of the poll because you're asking 2 separate questions:
1) What trout fishing species fishery interests you the most?
2) What's your preference when it comes to stocked species?

Related, but different questions.

Anyways, I think I answered if you're trying to get a handle on what people like.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
GIVE US SPLAKE!!!!!

WE WANT SPLAKE!!!

(give it to us raw and wrigglin')
You might be 60 or 70 years late. There still might be a few splake in some of the lakes stocked in the national parks.

Lakes in Banff National Park that were stocked in the 1950's. : Agnes, First Block, Second Block, Boulder, Hector, Herbert, Louise, Minnewanka, Moraine, Mosquito, Turquoise, Two Jacks. The Sunwapta lake on the Bow river drainage. Also,the North Saskatchewan drainage. In Jasper I think Pyramid lake was stocked. The populations in Minnewanka, Hector and Turquoise lakes were thought to be naturally reproducing in the 1970's. Might be a few splake left somewhere.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-18-2018, 08:02 AM
AO Sponsor

I don't want them 100 years ago, I want them now! Not on the poll obviously, but surely someone could whip up a concoction of brook trout and laker goodies in Alberta at some undisclosed hatchery even in this disturbed millennial age that we have found ourselves in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aafWtqT9hbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRaSIExltg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf2A6d327J4

Last edited by Marty S; 11-18-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Personally I haven't fished a "pothole" stocked trout fishery in over 20 years,,, just doesn't turn my crank anymore (as my username suggests otherwise!!!)

But I fully support an expanded stocked trout fishery with several species of trout from exotics like tigers and splake to "run of the mill" rainbows in a variety of fisheries ranging from trophy quality to high harvest put and take opportunities.

The demand for recreational fisheries n Alberta is far higher than our wild and natural fisheries can sustain. Encouraging anglers to spend more time fishing stocked fisheries instead of wild fisheries (particularly for "exotic species" and harvest opportunities) will take pressure off our wild self sustaining fisheries.

So bring on the tigers and expand the hatchery truck fleet,,,,, and build more affordable golf courses too!!!! I always give a little prayer of thanks for golf whenever I drive by a crowded golf course on my way to lake , cuz I know every golfer is one less fisherman at the boat launch!!!
Old 11-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Short poll however the results strongly point to Albertans NOT wanting monoculture fisheries when it comes to stocked trout.

I expected and / or hoped for that. So maybe times will change and multi species stocking will become the norm.