Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2023, 09:19 AM

Default farm real estate contract

sold a acreage last year through real estate on a alberta re contract form for a farm, went ok

have been approached by a serious guy wanting to buy a property from me,

anybody have success with a law firm doing up the exact copy of the alberta real estate board contract for a farm?

wonder how much the real estate guy would charge for a contract or to. prepare one if the parties agree on terms

don’t want the sour pleasure of dealing with INCOMPETENT real estate people or lawyers who meddle on the terms

(kind of like the couple who agree then lawyers wreck the settlement unless it was really unjust)

might phone around early next week cause the guy wants a deal next week

thoughts

could just retool the form I have from the last sale but my fingers are ever so slow

Jeff
Old 06-25-2023, 10:38 AM

Just get a blank contract/offer of purchase form from Staples etc. Most of the Real Estate contracts are written to protect the Realtors commission$$. I have bought expensive property just using blank sheet of paper.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just get a blank contract/offer of purchase form from Staples etc. Most of the Real Estate contracts are written to protect the Realtors commission$$. I have bought expensive property just using blank sheet of paper.
exactly. Realtors are a joke and waste of money.
Old 06-25-2023, 04:30 PM

No farm experience, but for residential I use a board form with all the Realtor stuff stripped out. It’s more for the lawyers who might get involved. Keep it simple for them and there should be less surprises.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:00 AM

Not sure here you are located but in Calgary Brought a few properties private with Taylor law. Tom has farm experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2023, 02:42 PM

Depending where the farmland is located, there are other things to worry about on farm land transactions than just the surface.

Some time ago the Government were very concerned about groundwater use and irrigation water entitlement. Farmers had to declare their water usage and the basis for the water usage. Subsurface water and irrigation rights then become an issue on sale.

Don't want to meddle in the deal though, but depending where the land is, what it is used for, and what tags along with it, you might want to think about these issues when you go to address the terms on the Contract.

Sometimes there even are mineral rights that can be sold with the land, or excluded and held by the Vendor for the future.

Most law firms that handle the transaction will provide a form of Contract as part of the service.

Drewski