Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Milarm is the only gunshop left where you can pick up something used, and you can trade firearms. The first firearm I bought from there was almost 25 years ago, and it still is my 'go to' gunshop. As far as customer service goes, I have no problem with them. I would way rather deal there than with one of the owners of another nearby gunshop. As stated before, a lot of their customers are, well, difficult. I think even Mother Theresa would have a hard time being patient with some of them.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM

I purchased a brand new rifle and a case two years ago... Was a smooth, ordinary transaction. I was looking for a specific rifle and only they had it, no brainer...

Everytime I stop by Edmonton, I try to stop by and look around... It is nice to see so many brand new and used firearms in one place... They also have that antique smell in the store which takes me back to my childhood...

I hope they stay in business so my kids can take benefit when they are old enough to purchase firearm, I would suggest any firearm enthusiast to pay a visit...
Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Milarm is the only gunshop left where you can pick up something used, and you can trade firearms.
P&D will do this.

Quote:
I would way rather deal there than with one of the owners of another nearby gunshop.
I agree. Dianne is very difficult to deal with. I avoid the shop because of her.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
P&D will do this.

I agree. Dianne is very difficult to deal with. I avoid the shop because of her.
By far the easiest man I have ever dealt with on trades , etc, is Clay Smiley at Prohet River.
Outstanding and very easy going guy.
Pud at Bashaw SAports as well is good to deal with.
Cat
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear crossing View Post
My sugestion is go see for yourself.i've delt with the folks there for close to 30yrs. Every one from the owners right down to the janitor lady they used to have treated me very well any time i was there.i've bought new ,used or what have you.sometimes i would go there just to bs. So like i said check them out.
I second that
allways been good to me.
the website sucks though but then again dont a lot of them.
I find wolverine,marstar,TSE,and lever to be rude and short but I think it must be a pre requisite for a gun store...but I am the complete opposite.
I still shop at all the above places as I dont care about personalities I just want my stuff
Old 04-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
P&D will do this.

Let me rephrase: Milarm is the only place locally which you can buy used and trade fairly.

I agree with the above statements about Clay at Prophet River - he is an awesome guy to deal with.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM

I have dealt at Milarm for more years than I care to acknowledge. I would not keep going there if a lot of these posts were even close to the norm.

If you are getting what you think is bad service or rude response, perhaps you want to look at how you are approaching the staff. No matter where I go, I always find that if I am friendly, agreeable nd willing to listen, as well as clearly ask the staff to do the best they can to help me, I have almost never had staff that did not rise to the occasion.

If you are getting treated like ****e, look at how you are approaching things. Few people are looking to start a war, but quite a few won't back off if YOU start it or treat them like low class help.

I have been in the public service business for over 40 years. Most clients are great to deal with. There are a percentage that no money on earth makes them worth the trouble. If you are one of those, and you butt up against me, you WILL have legendary stories that you can post on websites. If people are dumb enough to believe that I treat the 99% of all people who are great to deal with, the same as I treated you, then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

The internet is a great tool, but it gives whiners and *****s far to much ability to spread their non-sense.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have dealt at Milarm for more years than I care to acknowledge. I would not keep going there if a lot of these posts were even close to the norm.

If you are getting what you think is bad service or rude response, perhaps you want to look at how you are approaching the staff. No matter where I go, I always find that if I am friendly, agreeable nd willing to listen, as well as clearly ask the staff to do the best they can to help me, I have almost never had staff that did not rise to the occasion.

If you are getting treated like ****e, look at how you are approaching things. Few people are looking to start a war, but quite a few won't back off if YOU start it or treat them like low class help.

I have been in the public service business for over 40 years. Most clients are great to deal with. There are a percentage that no money on earth makes them worth the trouble. If you are one of those, and you butt up against me, you WILL have legendary stories that you can post on websites. If people are dumb enough to believe that I treat the 99% of all people who are great to deal with, the same as I treated you, then they aren't as smart as I thought they were.

The internet is a great tool, but it gives whiners and *****s far to much ability to spread their non-sense.

Fantastic Response!!!!

I have never had a problem at Milarm
Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

I too am in the public service industry. My customers expect to be treated well regardless of what there attitudes are good or bad. Without them (even pains)I have NO business. As for being a whiner I guess that is your opinion. As for it being nonsense. I would have no problem meeting you in public face to face and telling you I had Bad service at Milarm.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Default No excuses

I think I have noticed a trend on this forum. Apparently it seems that if you have many years of experience Milarm may have some respect for you. However if you go in there as a newbie trying to enter the scene then prepare yourself for the cold shoulder.

I am a little tired of hearing people make excuses for the experiences of a significant number of consumers. Your experiences are valid however so are ours.

No disrespect intended for those with a good experience as I'm happy for you they have many very interesting items.

I was in the customer service industry doing roadside dispatching for 6 years. You want to talk about the crap that we had to put up with. Being told a dozen times a day I'm an ***** hole because you locked your keys in your car or ran out of gas and you have to wait because someone else did the same thing. Still, when I answered the next call I didn't automatically assume the next guy was an idiot.

For those making excuses for a bad attitude think of this... If you called me for help and I treated you with disrespect, would it be justified? If you don't want to deal with people find another job.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Default Relative newbie experience

I bought my first shotgun last year from Mil Arms. I had a good idea what I wanted, they had a good price for it. The staff weren't overly helpful, but not at all ignorant, either. I'd buy there again, but now that I have fired a few hundred rounds from a couple different guns, I don't taste my own firearm naiveity so I would be far more comfortable asking rookie questions.
When I want rudeness I go to Wanstalls in Maple Ridge.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM

They will order rifles in for you and you can definitely expect them to complete it. And they will meet competitor pricing. And I have never had the dumb blank look from Gord when asking for a specialty item. He will try to steer you right if your off course on some thinking.

Versus "our shipment from calgary blah blah blah" or "we don't know when we're getting it in, check back in a while"...4 months later..."what gun???" or "we're not in charge of ordering so we can't do anything for you" or "yep we'll put you on the list for reorder"...only to get the same.."what list or order????-never seen anything, no list".

I have purchased 6 guns there in the year or so and freinds and family have followed suit with at least 6 more. It was not the first place I shopped at, but it was the one that would commit to getting me the guns I wanted at a the best price.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM

Gord is super to deal with, I have been going there for 20+ years too. Phil (P&D) is the one I looked for all the time at Milarm when I was buying out of the back room.

I have to agree with a couple people, I used to love dealing with P&D when they came to Lloydminster, and I used to go to their house before the big store, but I won't go in there any more. Too bad success went to their heads.

I have no interest dealing with snotbags in a retail environment.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Too bad success went to their heads.

I have no interest dealing with snotbags in a retail environment.
Hear Hear!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Never had any issues dealing at Milarm
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM

milarm get rid of a bunch of staff or what?

Always been treated like a piece of meat there.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Recieved from Milarm today

Recieved this from Milarm today

5.11 Days! May 6th & 7th

HUGE Pre-Season Sale 20% off on all 5.11 Tactical product in store! May 6th and 7th ONLY.

10-15% off select Remington, Mossberg & other firearms!
BBQ Lunch! In Store Specials Prizes

Special Celebrity Guests Military Vehicle Display

Come take advantage of huge pre-summer savings at MilArm! 2 Days only! May 6th & 7th.

Find MilArm on Facebook for updates of new products and collections!
http://www.facebook.com/milarmguns

2011 Deliveries from Remington & Mossberg are hitting our doors on a weekly basis!

Stay tuned to find out about new stock, including the new Mossberg Blackwater series of shotguns!

The Blue Book of Gun Values 32nd Edition now in stock!
2,400 pages of Modern and Antique firearms and prices! Excellent reference material for any collector! $50

Our website it currently down and under complete overhaul. We appreciate the concerned emails and phone calls
and expect to see the site back up as soon as our brand new site is up and running. We expect this process to take about a month.
Until then feel free to give us a call with any questions regarding stock or prices. 780-424-5281

MilArm will be open Saturday April 23 and closed Good Friday and Easter Monday.

R. Gordon McGowan
MilArm Co. Ltd.
milarm@telus.net
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Have bought a few things from Milarm in the past, mostly knives and ammo. Never had a bad experience there. Find that they are direct and to the point, which is a good thing! Too bad they are downtown!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:17 PM

We are definitely still in business. Yes our website is shut down. We are in process of developing a brand new website. Once it launches, we will have full e-commerce and up to the minute inventory levels.

I appreciate hearing the feed back from everyone. The only thing I can say to the negative comments is that we know we have had issues with terrible staff in the past. I have removed those staff we feel were negatively impacting our company and I feel that the staff we have now are all amazing people.

If you have had bad experiences with us in the past, I truly hope to see you in the shop sometime in the future and hopefully we can change some minds.

Cheers,

Cody
Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
We are definitely still in business. Yes our website is shut down. We are in process of developing a brand new website. Once it launches, we will have full e-commerce and up to the minute inventory levels.

I appreciate hearing the feed back from everyone. The only thing I can say to the negative comments is that we know we have had issues with terrible staff in the past. I have removed those staff we feel were negatively impacting our company and I feel that the staff we have now are all amazing people.

If you have had bad experiences with us in the past, I truly hope to see you in the shop sometime in the future and hopefully we can change some minds.

Cheers,

Cody
Well now, there ya go!
That's as positive a response as one could ever hope for, so maybe all the guys that had negative experiences there might want to drop in a see what's what!
Me, I'm still from Ft. McMurray, and still......
Cat
Old 04-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

Cody
Cody, I have had some negitive experiences in the past. And have not been to the store in some time. I will tell you that after reading your post I will be going out of my way to vist the shop again. Thank you for your post. We'll see you soon.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

Cody
Thanks for the reply Cody I will visit again and check it out. Hope to do business with you.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:14 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:

Cheers,

Cody
I know I'll be back at your shop for a visit
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM

Default Much respect for Madball

I have to say I am impressed with the way Madball handles positive and negative feedback. I will definitely give Milarm another shot based on his response. Yet another reason I love this site.

Kudos to Milarm for acknowledging our concerns, and responding commendably
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

Cody
It is very nice to hear from the owner, committing to better the customer satisfaction experience.

Wish all the best...
Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 AM

Default Poor treatment, sometimes par for the course

I am told it is not easy dealing with the public and sometimes the staff who find themselves making a living while in that role develop an attitude. I know I do not impress very well when it comes to appearances and fear I was being prejudged while in one of the establishments already mentioned in this thread. Fact is, I was being laughed at by one whole department of that store. This happened three times before I decided I had enough.
More out of spite than anything else I finally marched over to the counter of that department and purchased one of their spotting scopes. They did not laugh at my money.
To their credit, the people from that department began treating me very well after that. In fact, there was such a turn-a-round from the staff in the whole store I do not wish to name them here. Not judging a book by its cover is a lesson we are supposed to learn in childhood but somehow the sales staff there had to hear it from their sales manager.
I will not hold that experience against the whole store. By the same token though, I will not suggest that we all solve our differences with those who are jockeying for our money by spending more on them. A maneuver like that could only result in more abusive behavior.

Last edited by Rem - P14; 04-25-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT View Post
Recieved this from Milarm today

5.11 Days! May 6th & 7th

HUGE Pre-Season Sale 20% off on all 5.11 Tactical product in store! May 6th and 7th ONLY.

10-15% off select Remington, Mossberg & other firearms!
BBQ Lunch! In Store Specials Prizes

Special Celebrity Guests Military Vehicle Display

Come take advantage of huge pre-summer savings at MilArm! 2 Days only! May 6th & 7th.

Find MilArm on Facebook for updates of new products and collections!
http://www.facebook.com/milarmguns

2011 Deliveries from Remington & Mossberg are hitting our doors on a weekly basis!

Stay tuned to find out about new stock, including the new Mossberg Blackwater series of shotguns!

The Blue Book of Gun Values 32nd Edition now in stock!
2,400 pages of Modern and Antique firearms and prices! Excellent reference material for any collector! $50

Our website it currently down and under complete overhaul. We appreciate the concerned emails and phone calls
and expect to see the site back up as soon as our brand new site is up and running. We expect this process to take about a month.
Until then feel free to give us a call with any questions regarding stock or prices. 780-424-5281

MilArm will be open Saturday April 23 and closed Good Friday and Easter Monday.

R. Gordon McGowan
MilArm Co. Ltd.
milarm@telus.net
Anybody looking for boots should check out that sale. The safety boots I got there are the comfiest I have ever worn. The hikers would be even better I'm betting. I don't know how long they will last, but my feet will be happy as long as the do.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Cheers,

Cody
Good to hear. I believe in giving people second chances. No thirds, but I will be in to see if the changes actually happen.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

An individual who will remain nameless likes to sell himself as a military commando type. In fact, he has no military experiance at all and that makes him look like a fool. The rest of the staff can and have been arrogant and rude. It does not matter if they deal with idiots all day it's called learning to deal with the public, if you can't deal with the public in a respectable fashion get out of the business. There is no reason to act like a ******* with the next fellow that comes in the door.. That will kill a stores reputation faster than lightening, don't make excuses for bad PR. If they are gone, good riddence. I hope that "individual" learns from the way he treats people. I wouldn't hire him in my store.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
An individual who will remain nameless likes to sell himself as a military commando type. In fact, he has no military experiance at all and that makes him look like a fool. The rest of the staff can and have been arrogant and rude. It does not matter if they deal with idiots all day it's called learning to deal with the public, if you can't deal with the public in a respectable fashion get out of the business. There is no reason to act like a ******* with the next fellow that comes in the door.. That will kill a stores reputation faster than lightening, don't make excuses for bad PR. If they are gone, good riddence. I hope that "individual" learns from the way he treats people. I wouldn't hire him in my store.
Well said trooper:
I have often been accused of giving credit (or the benefit of the doubt) where it is not due. I just hate to see people's families suffer because "daddy" meesed up. You are right though. Some lessons need to be learned before anyone can hope to move on with their careers.
Closed Thread