Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM

I put a couple of extras into my SKS, even if the rifle goes, just put the parts on another rifle!!!

217169_10150230826925412_680580411_8962621_3277080_n.jpg
208511_10150230826960412_680580411_8962622_2188889_n.jpg
Old 06-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophez View Post
I put a couple of extras into my SKS, even if the rifle goes, just put the parts on another rifle!!!

Attachment 36239
Attachment 36240
Take a saw and file and get rid of that lump that's behind the dust cover on that stock, makes take down and care a lot easier. Never cared for the look of those units, but if it works for you (same as the Tapco and other ATI units) no reason not to use it.
Personaly I like the factory laminated ones, but I like laminated anyway.
Cheers
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=bukwild;964139]Does anyone here personally have experience with a barrel or action that has been damaged by corrosive ammunition? every site or post that deals with the russian type surplus rifles brings it up (with varying arguments) but none that I have read actually post a picture or real life experience with the problem. There are millions of these rifles shooting this ammunition all over the world every day for years on end and they all seem to do what they were intended to do. Also, I doubt that some guy who carries and shoots his AK on a daily basis in Nigera has the products or inclination to clean his rifle the way that we might and I'll bet his rifle will be passed down to his son (or the his enemies son) when he is done with it.[/QUO

The damage done by neglect+corrosive ammo is real. We fired 400 or so rounds out of a relative's 858 one afternoon. He took it home, threw it in the closet.6 months later we were chatting and the rifle came up. He forgot all about it. So I ended up pulling it apart. This type of corrosion is no joke. Very heavy pitting/scarring in bore.Lovely rusty red patches for quite a while.A lot of scrubbing on the bore, it will never ever be easy to clean again.I don't know if it reduced accuracy, I haven't re- range tested it yet. I have seen older pitted barrels on other rifles that are darned accurate. Just a real pain to clean.

The gas system is badly corroded, should in theory be still operable.Bolt pitted, internals surface rusted. Nothing totally seized up, but nothing in good shape either. What a waste- however I intend to learn from this mistake.My SKS will never look like that, though they are now probably worth around the same money.Ruined a nice rifle.While it may go bang, it's not the nice rifle it was.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, who ****ed in your corn flakes today?

Grizz
He's always like that, but yah, once in a while there is a bad problem in the actions. Usually cause of lacking maintenance.

PS
Those supposedly "chromed" guns are not at all chromed, just the rifle bore is. The bayonet and bolt are polished only.

Last edited by Trakker262; 06-23-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Smile Best buy for $200.!

I couldn't hit a door with the iron sights! Just one of the other things that stop working with age! Battle river sports sold and installed a scope for $75 and now I'm very dangerous out to 200M.

I can still use the strips to losd it, all good. What is not to like. It was used to defeat the master race. That should be enough right there!

I can pick up the hulls with a magnet before the lawn mower finds them!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I couldn't hit a door with the iron sights! Just one of the other things that stop working with age! Battle river sports sold and installed a scope for $75 and now I'm very dangerous out to 200M.

I can still use the strips to losd it, all good. What is not to like. It was used to defeat the master race. That should be enough right there!

I can pick up the hulls with a magnet before the lawn mower finds them!
It wasn't fielded in WW2, sorry. Unless you mean the USA in Vietnam.
cheers
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
It wasn't fielded in WW2, sorry. Unless you mean the USA in Vietnam.
cheers
From wikipedia..

Quote:
The Soviet Union type qualified a new intermediate round in 1943. A small number of SKS rifles were tested on the front line in early 1945 against the Germans in World War II.[2]
Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
From wikipedia..
I realy don't consider that a valid source for anything, as for being tested in small numbers I won't dispute the chance it was. However it did not go into full production until 1949 and in order to be fielded a firearm must have actual production status, no?
Cheers
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Smile SKS shooting results

Before it started raining to-day I got it to goup to about 1/2 inch at 100M, I have one of those rests that Cat uses and it works very well, thanks Cat.

Light recoil and always goes bang.

If the rain stops I'll be using FMJ's on gophers tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone had the chance to grab any of the SKS from WSS this weekend. I tried both locations but they were sold out. I saw they are still available online. Has anyone bought one of these online before? I am a little leery as I think I would like to have a look at the condition before I order it, or are they all pretty similar quality?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post

Also, don't listen to people who crap on the SKS because it's 'overly cheap' etc. Mine has accounted for a goodly number of deer and the best thing is, I'm not afraid to bang it around a bit in the bush.

Cheers.
I don't bash them because they are cheap, on the contrary , I don't even mention them in conversation!
They are not my kind of action, my type of hunting fire arm, not are they my type of MILSURP fire arm, so I have no opinion on them except I do n ot like them!
Cat
Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't bash them because they are cheap, on the contrary , I don't even mention them in conversation!
They are not my kind of action, my type of hunting fire arm, not are they my type of MILSURP fire arm, so I have no opinion on them except I do n ot like them!
Cat
Exactly, I would rather hunt with a Trapdoor Springfield, at least it has a lot of clout and class at the same time.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Cat
No one said you had to like them but to some folks they are fun to shoot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J-VViRyiNQ
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
No one said you had to like them but to some folks they are fun to shoot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J-VViRyiNQ
I realize that , and many folks like the 10.22 as well.
They are both in the same category for me.......
Cat
Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I realize that , and many folks like the 10.22 as well.
They are both in the same category for me.......
Cat
Yeah...why in the heck would anyone buy a 10/22?

Because they are not catnthehat....lol..

Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 PM

Caroline Supply has Tulas for $209.00
Refurb of course.

Bang bang, fun fun!

Go4it!

It's never been about the Earth. It's always been about power. Limit the resources, decree that limited resources must be state controlled - power.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah...why in the heck would anyone buy a 10/22?

Because they are not catnthehat....lol..

Yeah, I can't explain it at all, the semis never did appeal to me, even in a shotgun.
Cat
Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishen View Post
Just wondering if anyone had the chance to grab any of the SKS from WSS this weekend. I tried both locations but they were sold out. I saw they are still available online. Has anyone bought one of these online before? I am a little leery as I think I would like to have a look at the condition before I order it, or are they all pretty similar quality?
Didn't get one myself, but while waiting for service at the gun desk at WSS Calgary today, I saw two of them sold. There was at least one left when I left (the display model), and probably many more in the back. The few I saw looked to be in pretty good shape, but I'm no SKS expert. I would have bought one, but I just got a Norinco M14 clone a couple weeks ago.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner72 View Post
My buddy's and I bought some a couple years ago and there fun to shoot but ya i don't think that I would use it for hunting alltough I sure would have thought it was able to kill a deer at 60 yards? Wow that sucks! They shoot fairly close to a 30-30.
not even close 30-30 has more power. 30-30 is classed as a 200yard gun max. this is becuase of the rainbow trajectory as its 20 inches low at 300 yards but still more than enough to kill a 200 pound deer at 300yard. 7.65 x39 is designed to wound 160 lb. man.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Banned

Kind of junky to be honest..
Reliable, tough, cheap, fun to shoot but pretty rough and about as accurate as smooth bore musket.

It isn't every day that a shooter realizes he is actually more capable than the rifle he is holding but if you want to experience it... buy an SKS.
Mine was the most inaccurate rifled firearm I've ever owned or for that matter... ever shot. Once the novelty of rapidly shooting off a bunch of cheap ammo wore off... there wasn't anything left to hold my interest so I got rid of it.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 12-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
not even close 30-30 has more power. 30-30 is classed as a 200yard gun max. this is becuase of the rainbow trajectory as its 20 inches low at 300 yards but still more than enough to kill a 200 pound deer at 300yard. 7.65 x39 is designed to wound 160 lb. man.
wound? lol

I don't think you would want to get hit by one of these even at 300 yards..

Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
wound? lol

I don't think you would want to get hit by one of these even at 300 yards..

yes the sks was designed to wound. a dead soldier has no cost a wounded one Tye's up man power and a lot of other resources and that's how you win a war. that's also why they use full metal jackets. and your right I would not want to get shot with one but better that, than a bullet from 30-30 look at the ballistics of both and speed and foot lbs at 100yards 200yards and 300yards.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM

I thought the military had to use FMJ because of the Geneva Convention. Expert? Someone with a source?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
yes the sks was designed to wound. a dead soldier has no cost a wounded one Tye's up man power and a lot of other resources and that's how you win a war. that's also why they use full metal jackets. and your right I would not want to get shot with one but better that, than a bullet from 30-30 look at the ballistics of both and speed and foot lbs at 100yards 200yards and 300yards.
Designed to wound? Was the Ak-47 designed to wound it runs the same ammo no gun is designed to wound . It has nothing to do with the cartridge itself but the FMJ's they use as stated ( like used in all military rifles ). The cartridge itself kills well if you do your part.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpining View Post
I thought the military had to use FMJ because of the Geneva Convention. Expert? Someone with a source?
and why do you think its in the Geneva Convention, even the countrys that are not under the Geneva Convention use FMJ as they no that the more resources of the enemy that can be tyed up the better off they will be.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 PM

I'm thinking that if you put a 123 gr softpoint @2500fps (muzzle) into the boiler maker of a deer at 100-150 yards he's going down.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Designed to wound? Was the Ak-47 designed to wound it runs the same ammo no gun is designed to wound . It has nothing to do with the cartridge itself but the FMJ's they use as stated ( like used in all military rifles ). The cartridge itself kills well if you do your part.
it may kill if you do your part but then so does a lot of small cartridges. but the argument was that the 7.65x 39 was on a par with 30-30.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
and why do you think its in the Geneva Convention, even the countrys that are not under the Geneva Convention use FMJ as they no that the more resources of the enemy that can be tyed up the better off they will be.

Correction: The Hague Convention. I read it on the internet.

My half-arsed guess is that it was a time when war was more gentlemanly, and we couldn't justify killing when wounding would suffice. 'Wounding' as a tactic would have been unacceptable.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking that if you put a 123 gr softpoint @2500fps (muzzle) into the boiler maker of a deer at 100-150 yards he's going down.
if your shot placement is good it should work just fine but a 123gr bullet is a lot lighter than a 150 or one 170 gr witch is about 2500fps (muzzle) and will flatten a moose if you hit the boiler maker 100-150 yards you got to take into account that your using a bigger bullet and way lighter bullet to get roughly the same muzzle speed after that things change. but the point was that the 7.65x39 is not ballistically the same as the 30-30
Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
if your shot placement is good it should work just fine but a 123gr bullet is a lot lighter than a 150 or one 170 gr witch is about 2500fps (muzzle) and will flatten a moose if you hit the boiler maker 100-150 yards you got to take into account that your using a bigger bullet and way lighter bullet to get roughly the same muzzle speed after that things change. but the point was that the 7.65x39 is not ballistically the same as the 30-30
I won't argue 30-30 vs 7.62x39 but like you said...shot placement is the key.

Think I might take my old SKS up the treestand next fall just for giggles..

Mind you my shots would be no more than say 40-50 yards.

Crap,now I can't wait till next hunting season..