Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Gun Auction

Wards gun auction happening today in Edmonton on line . Hard to believe people are paying such high prices on used guns.
Old 12-11-2021, 12:44 PM

The shotgun i had my eye on went over budget yesterday.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:16 PM

I was watching a couple of guns that were the same as the ones I had brought to the Ed GS to sell.

The ones at auction went for $100-200 more than what I had put on them.

I did see a SVT40 for $1500+hammer, taxes etc. Not sure what made it worth that much as not my thing
Old 12-11-2021, 03:28 PM

The shotgun i was looking at says "winning bid undisclosed"
Do you guys know if they publish the sell prices later on, or does it stay a secret?
Old 12-11-2021, 04:05 PM
Banned

Auctions are the worst place to buy a gun. Overpriced and no guarantee they work.
Buy them here, cgn, townpost or gunpost.
Ive quit watching auctions. The only surprises are how much overpriced they will go for.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Auctions are the worst place to buy a gun. Overpriced and no guarantee they work.
Ive quit watching auctions. The only surprises are how much overpriced they will go for.
I have bought 2 at auction, 1 was 20 to much but it was a 150 dollar gun I wanted, next was market value and I wanted it. I farm and spent my lifetime at auctions, pay attention and there is always another one. But yes prices are crazy, I have a beautiful. cz 527 7.62 I cant sell privately but I am sure auction would be way more.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:47 PM

They generally put up a prices realized list at some point.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
They generally put up a prices realized list at some point.
Depending on the company no they dont.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:56 PM

I looked a couple days ago as there was a couple shotguns that I was interested in but they were already more than I felt would be a reasonable price, then add another 15% buyers fee, 5% GST and 3% Credit card fee on top of that, people are actually paying more than new price for used guns that they have not even physically looked at, no thanks, but to each their own.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
I have bought 2 at auction, 1 was 20 to much but it was a 150 dollar gun I wanted, next was market value and I wanted it. I farm and spent my lifetime at auctions, pay attention and there is always another one. But yes prices are crazy, I have a beautiful. cz 527 7.62 I cant sell privately but I am sure auction would be way more.
I can’t tell if your proving me right, or wrong???
Old 12-11-2021, 06:25 PM

Sellers fee...ok. Buyers fee...pound sand.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
The shotgun i was looking at says "winning bid undisclosed"
Do you guys know if they publish the sell prices later on, or does it stay a secret?
Wards do publish their sold prices, you just need to check their site every so often to see when they put it up
Old 12-11-2021, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Sellers fee...ok. Buyers fee...pound sand.
Make sure you read the rules before you bid. Many auctions have a buyers fee.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:49 PM

Yep wanted some of the 20 gauge and an a5 browning but when it went live they went past my original bid.
Won two 10/22’s and one 77/22 recently and waiting on a model 63 Winchester in 22, hope the Winchester is not too high.

They do get some dumb buyers, I put up a bid and usually sit on it.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, Yes, and absolutely. .worst place to buy and even worse these days.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:57 AM

Blaming an auction for price makes me laugh
It’s not the auction house that sets the price.
You have a choice to bid or not to bid simple
Old 12-12-2021, 09:16 AM

https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.c.../auction-items
I like this outfit, auction keeps cycling. If nothing else keeps me up on values.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:32 AM

My old rule of thumb was expect to pay 35% above sell price, worked for years. ( I have been doing auctions for a long time).

I bought a few non related firearms products from 2 sites in Ontario. By the time I paid for shipping fees, taxes (federal and provincial) Delivery fees, buyer fees, packaging fees....etc.

These 2 items from 2 different auction houses ran .... WAIT for it, over 100% plus, of the actual selling price

UPS will not deliver ammo etc. to Medhat because our 4 outlets are not "real" outlets. Canada post, Canpar etc. no longer do deliveries and the auction houses will not try to find a way to deliver you your product ...SOO. what they do is turn around and charge you 25% to resell the items you won
I loved the auctions. I use to get some smoking good deals but I am done. To many people with no clue what items true value are, and way too many buyers fees, shipping hassles etc. to bother with.

The feds could not get us with registrations so, now all the new federal shipping rules are killing a once great source of shooting equipment and supplies. Welcome to the New Normal.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.c.../auction-items
I like this outfit, auction keeps cycling. If nothing else keeps me up on values.

CGN, AO, etc are far better sources. I've followed this one for almost 3 years and there are very few deals to be had. Bidders either tend to get fixated on one product, buying on emotion, or havent been in a gun shop taking note of retail pricing lately. Either that or they just don't have a clue what they're buying and that never works out well.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post

Nobody is blaming the auction houses. Just bidders out of touch with reality on firearm values.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:20 AM

There are deals to be had at gun auctions.
Just usually not on what you're after...
Old 12-12-2021, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don’t see one post that anyone has put the blame on an auction house. But, I would put the blame on bidders with either no knowledge, or too much money.
In the past I have chosen to bid within reason. There is no reasonable bidding available anymore, so I don’t waste my time.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:58 AM

Because someone pays more then you want to pay it’s over priced?
What’s overpriced?
Because I put a value on an item does not mean it’s right and if someone pays more it also doesn’t mean it’s over priced.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Yes, Yes, and absolutely. .worst place to buy and even worse these days.
Go in with your eyes open and decide what it's worth to you, not a penny more.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-12-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
What’s overpriced?
Because I put a value on an item does not mean it’s right and if someone pays more it also doesn’t mean it’s over priced.

What's overpriced? Retail or higher for used on everyday items. Or 20% over what you can buy for on credible websites day in and day out. If one only visits the shops and websites twice a year and really has no idea of values that's a recipe for disaster. Then add in taxes, buyer/seller fees, etc and you've got a grand cluster in the making.

But, if you enjoy paying hugely inflated prices, have at er.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:56 AM

My only comment about Auctions is, anyone who goes to auctions that charge both a seller and buyer premium is really happy getting done without lube. These are the same auctions that charge you a percentage to NOT sell an item if you set a reserve. I will happily sell stuff for 25% less than what it goes for all in at an auction, just so the purchaser and I aren't getting massively screwed.

The prices are whatever stuff sells for but the terms and conditions and fees attached to a sale at most auction houses have become usurious. The fact so many still sell and buy that way is what truly amazes me.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:05 PM

Wards will never post realized prices on the icollector website. But they will eventually put prices on their own website (https://www.wardsauctions.com/auctions/ )
And yeah I’d say people get caught up in the auction purchase. You need to factor in 17% buyers premium + 5% tax + shipping. And most of the time you can get the same firearm from townpost, gunpost or here for same price or close. And if I can talk to owner they can tell me any issues. A firearm could be at an auction for a reason and I always take that into consideration.
I don’t consider CGN a good resource either. I find the other places I listed earlier cheaper 99% of the time.
Auctions only seem good if you find a deal on a firearm you can locate other places. Only thing I’ve bought was a Winchester Model 1910 for about half I see them at (because nobody wants to deal with dies and reloading for that thing).
Old 12-12-2021, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
What’s overpriced?
If 10 stores sell a chocolate bar for $1, and your store sells that same chocolate bar for $2, that’s overpriced. It matters not that the naive walk into your store and purchases that chocolate bar.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
If 10 stores sell a chocolate bar for $1, and your store sells that same chocolate bar for $2, that’s overpriced. It matters not that the naive walk into your store and purchases that chocolate bar.
Kind of a bad example. You see gas stations across the street from each other, with clearly posted prices that are 10 cents a litre apart, so over 4.00 bucks on an average fill. There will be a station not far away that is 15 cents a litre cheaper yet. There are still people buying gas at the higher priced station. Obviously there is something these people value more than just the price, or it could just be that many are oblivious. In any event, if I can sell something for double, why wouldn't I.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Kind of a bad example. You see gas stations across the street from each other, with clearly posted prices that are 10 cents a litre apart, so over 4.00 bucks on an average fill. There will be a station not far away that is 15 cents a litre cheaper yet. There are still people buying gas at the higher priced station. Obviously there is something these people value more than just the price, or it could just be that many are oblivious. In any event, if I can sell something for double, why wouldn't I.
If you can sell something for double, good for you. Speaking as a buyer, I wouldn’t buy from you. If your buying gas for $1.40 and there is gas 10 minutes away for $1.25, there must be a reason. The first reason that comes to mind is you don’t know about the $1.25 gas.