Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2021, 09:05 AM

Default 438 or 437 novemeber sheep

Anyone on here lucky enough to draw either 438 or 437 November sheep draws?
Old 07-15-2021, 10:40 AM

Negative again on 438 November sheep....
Old 07-15-2021, 09:27 PM

Apparently 209x50 got 438 again for the 11th time 😉
Old 07-15-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Apparently 209x50 got 438 again for the 11th time 😉
Darn super server again!
Old 07-15-2021, 10:53 PM

It’s sad that Probly 80% of the people who draw the 438 tags usually give up within 5 days or less. Such a waste of a tag many dream about.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:47 PM

Glad I didn’t get drawn. What has success rate been last 3 years? A couple seasons of everyone getting skunked I think even after hiring the “crew”.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Glad I didn’t get drawn. What has success rate been last 3 years? A couple seasons of everyone getting skunked I think even after hiring the “crew”.
The change in the last ten years has been pretty dramatic. Two lifelong friends got the late draw in 2010 and killed two crankers, another friend got the same draw a year or two later and also killed a great ram. Since then I think it has really started to decline in numbers. Nothing like it once was.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
It’s sad that Probly 80% of the people who draw the 438 tags usually give up within 5 days or less. Such a waste of a tag many dream about.
Its certainly not nearly the tag it used to be. When we hunted it, we only planned for the first 5 days of hunting and then a final day on the last day if needed. Using 5 or 6 days of a 10 day hunt doesnt make it any less valuable a hunt or experience to the hunters involved. Easy to see why some dont or cant last an entire hunt up there. A lot of variables.

Last edited by Rackmastr; 07-16-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Its certainly not nearly the tag it used to be. When we hunted it, we only planned for the first 5 days of hunting and then a final day on the last day if needed. Using 5 or 6 days of a 10 day hunt doesnt make it any less valuable a hunt or experience to the hunters involved. Easy to see why some dont or cant last an entire hunt up there. A lot of variables.
Oh I agree with the tons of variables and of course many can’t take 10 days off work or whatever the situation is.It’s the many that put in for it cause it’s another draw to put in for and then get awarded,do litl homework if anything,show up go for a hike an head back to the truck an go home.Like it’s no big deal.Amazing enough I was fortunate enough to draw the tag in nov 2018.I saw an heard of the lack of effort is all when there’s people who spend their lives dreaming of it like I did.Is what it is an that won’t change,it’s just my rant on it.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree with the tons of variables and of course many can’t take 10 days off work or whatever the situation is.It’s the many that put in for it cause it’s another draw to put in for and then get awarded,do litl homework if anything,show up go for a hike an head back to the truck an go home.Like it’s no big deal.Amazing enough I was fortunate enough to draw the tag in nov 2018.I saw an heard of the lack of effort is all when there’s people who spend their lives dreaming of it like I did.Is what it is an that won’t change,it’s just my rant on it.
Good points, I think a lot has to do with what type of weather you get for that hunt.
Did you fill your tag in 2018 and how many rams did you see during your hunt?
Any gooders?
Old 07-16-2021, 04:34 PM

Weather would have huge impact on how the hunt would go.We got very lucky an it was single digit minus temps with very litl snow.Insane wind though.I was very fortunate to take a ful curl ram on day 7 of the hunt.Saw many rams on the mine including some huge rams.And we did see several rams off the mine,some not legal and some legal but could get on em fast enough before they disappeared.Dream come true for me hands down. My ram scored 173 an change
Old 07-16-2021, 04:47 PM

While I understand that some people cant get the time off work, have family commitments, etc I truly believe that in order to do a tag justice with such low drawing odds and to really make it worthwhile/owe it to the hardcore people applying that you should be hunting the full 10 days. Its a draw that so many people put in for "just because" and really have 0 idea of what it is about and what they're getting in to that you owe it to the rest of the people who applied to hunt it hard and hunt the full 10 days. While it is not the tag it used to be, its still not a "bad" tag, besides if you havent been putting in for 408 or 410 or 437 priority draws for at least 10 years (likely more) then you will likely never draw those tags in your life so might as well play the lottery tag that is 438 and at least experience a november sheep hunt.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Who is the "crew" you are speaking of?
Old 07-16-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
While I understand that some people cant get the time off work, have family commitments, etc I truly believe that in order to do a tag justice with such low drawing odds and to really make it worthwhile/owe it to the hardcore people applying that you should be hunting the full 10 days. Its a draw that so many people put in for "just because" and really have 0 idea of what it is about and what they're getting in to that you owe it to the rest of the people who applied to hunt it hard and hunt the full 10 days. While it is not the tag it used to be, its still not a "bad" tag, besides if you havent been putting in for 408 or 410 or 437 priority draws for at least 10 years (likely more) then you will likely never draw those tags in your life so might as well play the lottery tag that is 438 and at least experience a november sheep hunt.
A person who draws the tag doesnt 'owe' anyone anything. I dont care if they're 'hardcore elite' hunters who 'deserve' it more or first time hunters. If they draw the tag and hunt it for as many days as they wish and get the experience out of it, then thats for them to decide. Whether or not they hunt 10 days or 5 is irrelevant. Course there are those that think that only the 'hardcore' deserve to draw.....lol

Do you feel the same about hunting 6 full days for every antelope tag a person draws, or hunting 2-3 weeks straight for high priority elk/moose hunts? Or do hunters who draw sheep tags only 'owe' the time they put into a hunt to others?
Old 07-16-2021, 06:31 PM

^ Stop making sense!
Old 07-16-2021, 06:33 PM

Make it 50$ to enter trophy sure draws, problem solved. Now people who aren’t serious about the tag won’t even apply.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Make it 50$ to enter trophy sure draws, problem solved. Now people who aren’t serious about the tag won’t even apply.
Hell, apparently buying the tag isnt the problem or hunting it. Its not hunting it for a full 10 days because you owe it to others.....lol
Old 07-16-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Hell, apparently buying the tag isnt the problem or hunting it. Its not hunting it for a full 10 days because you owe it to others.....lol
I can see how it would be frustrating for some but tough ****, the other people payed the prices and if they choose to hunt it for 1 or for 10 days that’s their prerogative. Only way to weed out people who aren’t super serious about a tag is to price them out, as sucky as that is that’s the truth. I know lots of guys who couldn’t act less about sheep hunting but apply for 438 every year because it costs nothing.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I can see how it would be frustrating for some but tough ****, the other people payed the prices and if they choose to hunt it for 1 or for 10 days that’s their prerogative. Only way to weed out people who aren’t super serious about a tag is to price them out, as sucky as that is that’s the truth. I know lots of guys who couldn’t act less about sheep hunting but apply for 438 every year because it costs nothing.
Yep, always those out there.

I know several people who snubbed their nose when my wife drew. Had never hunted sheep and drew the tag. She 'deserved' it as much anyone else who drew and hunted it how she wanted to hunt it, not how others expected her to.

I've since passed on more info to people who have drawn this tag and actively seek out those who drew to try and give them some things we learned along the way when we hunted it. Just funny to see how some respond to other hunters drawing certain tags is all.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:49 AM

Is there a good guide out there that can be used if a person gets this draw? Is there many different places to wait for sheep there? I think if I were to get it I might want to get a guide to get my best chance of getting a sheep. I think it would be pretty hard for some who never seen the place to find a good place to hunt for the draw. Even if you scout it out before the draw begins.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Why stop there?
Make it $5,000 and then only a few will apply.

Money should not be a restricting agent used by our draw system.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Weather would have huge impact on how the hunt would go.We got very lucky an it was single digit minus temps with very litl snow.Insane wind though.I was very fortunate to take a ful curl ram on day 7 of the hunt.Saw many rams on the mine including some huge rams.And we did see several rams off the mine,some not legal and some legal but could get on em fast enough before they disappeared.Dream come true for me hands down. My ram scored 173 an change
Glad to hear you closed your tag, congrats!
It’s good to hear there’s still some good rams wandering on the mine.
I pulled my non-trophy tag for there last year just so I’d get some intel on the area if I’m ever lucky enough to draw the tag. Didn’t see any good rams off the mine but I also saw some good ones on the mine site. Filled my non-trophy tag the 2nd day too which was a bonus…..
Old 07-18-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Why stop there?

Money is a restricting agent. That’s what it does. It restricts me from owning a new truck, ocean front property, etc. That’s life.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2021, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
money is a restricting agent. That’s what it does. It restricts me from owning a new truck, ocean front property, etc. That’s life.
100%
Old 07-18-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Money is a restricting agent. That’s what it does. It restricts me from owning a new truck, ocean front property, etc. That’s life.
Thanks. I know it is.
I said it shouldn't be used as one for restricting draws.
You may think it should be. To each their own.
I don't think income and disposable cash should qualify someone for animals that belong to everyone.
Brand new Denali's don't belong to the general public. Sheep do.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I know it is.
I said it shouldn't be used as one for restricting draws.
You may think it should be. To each their own.
I don't think income and disposable cash should qualify someone for animals that belong to everyone.
Brand new Denali's don't belong to the general public. Sheep do.
And I don’t think disposable cash should restrict who ski’s or golfs. But it sure does. Or doesn’t based on a persons priorities.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
And I don’t think disposable cash should restrict who ski’s or golfs. But it sure does. Or doesn’t based on a persons priorities.
Exactly.

$500 refundable entry fees for any draws would be nice. Something has to be done. Or everyone can get used to waiting 10-100 years for a tag. A draw tag should be worth a couple tanks of fuel.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Why stop there?

Exaggerate much, $50 is less than a tank of fuel if that’s a restricting agent for putting in for sheep draws re-evaluate your priorities and budgeting
Old 07-18-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Exaggerate much, $50 is less than a tank of fuel if that’s a restricting agent for putting in for sheep draws re-evaluate your priorities and budgeting
Not an exaggeration at all, I'm serious.
If we can get those draws up to $5k, and the tag cost up to the $250k mark, then guys could pretty well get drawn every few years.

Or are you and some other posters suggesting that we only increase the cost to where YOU GUYS can still afford to apply, but others get eliminated due to their annual income?

And I do know someone who would gladly pay $250k to hunt sheep every few years.

If you guys want to treat wildlife as a commodity, something to be sold to the highest bidder, why are you bothering with public draws?
I'm sure for 10-15k Dunham's will gladly put you onto an awesome sheep of some sort.
And it's guaranteed!
Why waste your time and money amongst the commoners?

The funny thing is that some of the usual posters that advocate higher pricing be used to eliminate tags for other people, can't stand the fact that leaseholders treat leased land like their own.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:27 PM

To the OP,
I've only ever personally known one person to get drawn and she shot a 175" on the second day. She could have hunted longer and harder, but it was her first sheep and she wanted that one. The weather for her was great apparently, but that's the only time I've heard that.
Wind, snow, wind, cold, and more wind are the norm from what I've heard.
Good luck to whoever has a tag this year.