Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 PM

Default "The point"

Every lake that's where everybody piles up during ice season. Just curious as to what makes the points at lakes so productive?

And are the weirdos fishing 100' off shore in the bay in 5 FOW on to something that everyone else doesn't seem to know?
Old 01-30-2021, 09:55 PM

Points generally mean some type of structure and a lot of lakes in this province don't have a whole pile of it so they tend to be the easiest way to spot an area that will concentrate fish. The old "10% of the lake holds 90% of the fish" idea. That's where hydrographic charts come in so handy if your aim is to get away from the crowds as sometimes there are no shoreline features that point to structure [drop offs, humps, fingers etc].

Bays can be productive but it helps to find a change of some sort like a weed line. That might be what people you see out there are fishing.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Every lake that's where everybody piles up during ice season. Just curious as to what makes the points at lakes so productive.
Half the time, that's just where the first few people out dropped their shacks. Two guys place their shacks. Third guy out has to be nearby and lines up with them. Pretty soon it looks like there is a drop or some structure, and people just keep propagating it. Joussard on Slave is classic for that. I've mapped the area that supposedly has the "drop" all those shacks are parked on.

Icefishermen tend to be lemmings, especially the inexperienced ones. Always remember that and all will become clear.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
And are the weirdos fishing 100' off shore in the bay in 5 FOW on to something that everyone else doesn't seem to know?
Go find out. That's the joy of not being tethered to an iced in shack.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Half the time, that's just where the first few people out dropped their shacks. Two guys place their shacks. Third guy out has to be nearby and lines up with them. Pretty soon it looks like there is a drop or some structure, and people just keep propagating it. Joussard on Slave is classic for that. I've mapped the area that supposedly has the "drop" all those shacks are parked on.

Icefishermen tend to be lemmings, especially the inexperienced ones. Always remember that and all will become clear.
yup...fishing blind I say....they must know something I don't so set up and give it a go...well the first bloke set up on nothing....hmmm....I say be active and move around, study maps, read about your targeted species and see what they do and prefer etc and go off a hunch...explore.....if your marking them then now find out what they are preferring for a presentation....change it up until they start hitting.

was out yesterday and a fella showed up on a sled and said he was hunkered in with the little village that popped up and asked me why I was way the heck out here...I said catching fish

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-31-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Every lake that's where everybody piles up during ice season. Just curious as to what makes the points at lakes so productive?

I'm one of those weirdos. One of the very few opportunities to fish with my oldest son last week, 26 pike landed , 7 in 12 feet of water 19 in 4 feet of water. I love being weird. Also 2 lost in the 30 pound range, in shallow. Havent figured out why people have to drill holes next to someone else I guess they prefer visiting to catching fish? Plus seeing big toothy fish show up 2 feet below you is just as much fun as catching them sometimes especially if it's not something you get to do regularly. Then again I'm spoiled I'm 20 minutes from a great, big fish lake

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-31-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I find those "congregations" to be closer to acces points. Some people don't really like to do the leg work, found that in hunting as well.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:01 PM

Ice fishing is funny I swear most just look for other fisherman/shacks/trucks and go “hey that is wear the fish are”.

Myself I prefer to look at depth charts and pick my spots if I am new to a lake. I have done much better away from others
Old 02-03-2021, 09:48 PM

Hi, a lot of lakes in SE Alberta are Reservoirs. They will have a inlet and a outlet and have a dam. Best place and deepest place is there and best place to fish. There is also where the current flows so be care full the ice will be thinner. Hope that helps.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:

I must have looked pretty funny from the road. I was 10’ off shore in 2’ of water and caught whitefish. Must have been a dumb fish. Was only one I caught haha
Old 02-03-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ice fishing is funny I swear most just look for other fisherman/shacks/trucks and go “hey that is wear the fish are”.

Myself I prefer to look at depth charts and pick my spots if I am new to a lake. I have done much better away from others
Where do you find a depth chart?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:

3-5 feet of water is where I find the best Walleye fishing. It doesn't have to be close to shore though, a random shallow rock bed is a good place to look around.

RD
Old 02-03-2021, 10:26 PM

Not the best image, but there are at least 5 fish visible on the Panoptic Screen in this pic. 3 on the bottom and 2 smaller ones at about 4'

RD
Old 02-03-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Anglers Atlas

https://www.anglersatlas.com/place/101848/cold-lake
Old 02-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
Not the best image, but there are at least 5 fish visible on the Panoptic Screen in this pic. 3 on the bottom and 2 smaller ones at about 4'

RD
What kind of battery are you running on your LiveScope that gives 15.8v?
Old 02-04-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Google depth chart of “X lake Alberta” and you will have multiple options pop up.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Sometimes they do, other times they dont. I tend to fish far shallower than most, and often do at least as well. The trick in my experience is to go real shallow, random depths on the flats rarely produce well for me, find where those flats start to rise up to meet the shore, where the waves and ice have carved banks and rock bars in the shallows.

The summer before last, while the Slave Lake Walleye Tournament was on, I was fishing from my canoe in 4-8' of water, all the boats that ventured out as far as 9 mile/ Widewater were fishing way out on the drop. The the weights I was catching right against shore that weekend were far better than what ended up winning that year.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:33 PM

Fished the point for a bit today. Caught nothing. Had a muskrat come up the hole though, he took a peek and went back down. I thought he could possibly be scaring the fish away. I left.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Its my brothers setup, he replaced the stock battery with a 48ah Lithium battery that will run the Panoptix for about 26hrs on a charge.
I sent him a message to forward the details to me, I will post when he gets back to me.

RD
Old 02-06-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
This one:

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collection...c-with-charger

RD
Old 02-07-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
That's a sweet battery. Thanks for the link...I'll have to pick one up for next season.

I fish an 18Ah Dakota Lithium battery and get a full day of dawn 'til dusk fishing from it and then some. The battery you linked should last me all weekend. lol.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:43 PM

The Point is over rated .... if your a weirdo like me & others here who find some decent structure like a hump or sunken island with break to deeper water and a weed bed near by and you'll enjoy a fun day of successful fishin.

D.