Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
If 10 stores sell a chocolate bar for $1, and your store sells that same chocolate bar for $2, that’s overpriced. It matters not that the naive walk into your store and purchases that chocolate bar.
And Dollarama sells the same chocolate bar for .82 Guess where I buy ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-12-2021, 01:53 PM

I have personally seen people get caught up in the auction buzz, completely oblivious of what the price of an item should be, one that comes to mind was a farm auction a number of years ago, a 10 year old Suzuki 250 quad with something like 5,000 km on it went for $4500 which at the time was almost $1,000 more than brand new price, I was looking for one for the grandkids and thought maybe $1,200 or so, the thing started at $1,500 and went to $4,500 in about 6 bids of $500 increments, unreal.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
If you can sell something for double, good for you. Speaking as a buyer, I wouldn’t buy from you. If your buying gas for $1.40 and there is gas 10 minutes away for $1.25, there must be a reason. The first reason that comes to mind is you don’t know about the $1.25 gas.
All auto fuels are not the same.. as in Costo , Fas Gas etc. Shell , Esso and Petro Can refine most of the fuels for all those undependant gas retailers and thier brands are definately of better Quality.. If you see a fas Gas acros the road from a Shell, thier prices will certainly be different. That alone doesn't change the fact that they are all priced too high. The refiners are the ones dictating the price as they are one of the largest combines in Canada.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:07 PM

I seen a lakefield 22 model 64 auto sell for $250 plus the 15 % buyers fee and cabelas sells them for $250 new .
I wish I could get Even get $200 for mine .
Old 12-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
All auto fuels are not the same.. as in Costo , Fas Gas etc. Shell , Esso and Petro Can refine most of the fuels for all those undependant gas retailers and thier brands are definately of better Quality.. If you see a fas Gas acros the road from a Shell, thier prices will certainly be different. That alone doesn't change the fact that they are all priced too high. The refiners are the ones dictating the price as they are one of the largest combines in Canada.
So you’re actually talking apples and oranges. All guns are not the same. Sako, Remington, savage, Winchester etc.
I’m suggesting an 870 wingmaster might be listed on one of the exchange forums that I mentioned for $400. That same gun could be in an auction 2 weeks later and go for $700.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:27 PM
Banned

If wards ever put their prices up, I encourage everyone to compare what they sold for and search here or cgn for the same gun.
Then I won’t have to explain.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
So you’re actually talking apples and oranges. All guns are not the same. Sako, Remington, savage, Winchester etc.
I’m suggesting an 870 wingmaster might be listed on one of the exchange forums that I mentioned for $400. That same gun could be in an auction 2 weeks later and go for $700.
I suppose that happens, but from what I've seen, it's not the norm/ I have seen some guns sell for less than 1/2 of thier real value at auctions as well, but that to is not the norm.
I think the key to auctions is to know what you want, set your price and stick to it. Avoid the 'auction mentality" and let the crazies have the item. A lot of folks feel there is some shame in losing a bidding war. That's why the big $$ are generated. The auctioneers love that mindset.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:29 AM

I went to the auction, bought one gun, paid much more than I wanted, it is mint and super rare, but I had to have it.
The Win Model 71 and Rem 24 in 25-20 went very high, nice guns, both were reblued, auction catalogue did not state this. Sold to on-line buyers.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:38 AM

I had to have it.

That's what drives auction prices.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Last year we had to send my FIL's Colt and Winchester collection to Wards. I can definitely say that some pieces went for higher than he had paid and some went for much less! Probably due to selling 600+ pieces in the same auction pythons started selling for much less than normal values.
Our total take for the auction I figured was about 55% of the value he had paid (most had been bought in the previous 5 years and I had invoices)

Generally you can see the winning bids and buyers username on icollector within minutes of the lot selling, they were updating on the item listings (not the live aucton) but they seem to be gone now. A few of the SKS's went for $600-900 which blew my mind.

I ended up buying the Zastava M70 in .458wm for $750. (Anyone have brass? I need some)
Old 12-15-2021, 10:45 PM

Well just got a pound of powder from a down east auction Bought the powder for $40. figured OK add 35% = $54 bucks little higher then I would like to spend BUT it was something I needed...... WELL now I got the bill for the powder today ............................... Wait for it $83.95

Can par soaked me over $43 bucks in shipping. So as of now I am officially not doing auctions, the shippers are robbing people blind. So consider yourselves warned. I have dealt with three different auction houses from Ontario this month and all were 100% plus the actual price I paid for product.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Well just got a pound of powder from a down east auction Bought the powder for $40. figured OK add 35% = $54 bucks little higher then I would like to spend BUT it was something I needed...... WELL now I got the bill for the powder today ............................... Wait for it $83.95

Can par soaked me over $43 bucks in shipping. So as of now I am officially not doing auctions, the shippers are robbing people blind. So consider yourselves warned. I have dealt with three different auction houses from Ontario this month and all were 100% plus the actual price I paid for product.
It sounds like your surprised. Been like that for a few years now.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
If wards ever put their prices up, I encourage everyone to compare what they sold for and search here or cgn for the same gun.
Then I won’t have to explain.
I've been at auctions before and then checked CGN later and found some of the same guns. I remembered roughly what they went for at auction and saw the huge mark up on CGN. But when you call the user out they don't like that haha.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
I've been at auctions before and then checked CGN later and found some of the same guns. I remembered roughly what they went for at auction and saw the huge mark up on CGN. But when you call the user out they don't like that haha.
There are exceptions to everything. So someone got a good deal on a gun at an auction. That is an anomaly. But, once he buys that gun he can do anything he wants with it. Like sell it for more than he bought it for. That’s the name of the gun dealing game isn’t it. Or do you think every gun purchase is for personal use?
Old 12-16-2021, 02:38 AM

Quote:
There are exceptions to everything. So someone got a good deal on a gun at an auction. That is an anomaly. But, once he buys that gun he can do anything he wants with it. Like sell it for more than he bought it for. That’s the name of the gun dealing game isn’t it. Or do you think every gun purchase is for personal use?
Not at all, but it was fun to let the guy know his $400 purchase wasn't worth the $800