Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2021, 04:56 PM

Default How far from road to shoot ducks?

this is what I have found,
It is unlawful to:

8. discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.

9. discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway,
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.

So, based off this information, does this mean if I am on a backroad, and am passing a field I have permission on that has ducks/geese on a pond within shooting range from the roadway, can I hop out of my truck, load my shotgun, and engage the birds from the dirt road? I know that I’m going to get people asking why I would want to do that as it’s not real hunting, I’m just wanting to know the legal aspect of it. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-17-2021, 04:58 PM

Very good Question !
Old 09-17-2021, 05:35 PM

Yes, assuming you are legal with everything else. You may be challenged on retrieval if shot on a pond with no method of recovery. Back road ditches often make excellent cover.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Yes, assuming you are legal with everything else. You may be challenged on retrieval if shot on a pond with no method of recovery. Back road ditches often make excellent cover.
Sweet, yeah I have my upland and migratory bird, and the pal of course, being 18,working full time to support myself, I can’t afford to throw money at stuff decoys and blinds and what not as it’s not 1st priority. Although I love the hunt, I end up just jump shooting birds, usually not super successful haha, after a couple tries I’ve got enough for a nice dinner. I’d love to get into owning a setup, but for now I have to use the resources I have. Being able to shoot from the ditch or gravel road will make my life a lot easier then trying to park on the opposite side of a field and trying to crawl across stubble. So I appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
And my recovery method is pretty technical. A fishing rod and a 5 of diamonds spoon usually does the trick haha, very complicated I know
Old 09-17-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
And my recovery method is pretty technical. A fishing rod and a 5 of diamonds spoon usually does the trick haha, very complicated I know
I found a floating plug works better.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I found a floating plug works better.
Never would have though of that… might have to throw one in the glove box and give it a shot
Old 09-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
this is what I have found,
It is unlawful to:

8. discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.

9. discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway,
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.

So, based off this information, does this mean if I am on a backroad, and am passing a field I have permission on that has ducks/geese on a pond within shooting range from the roadway, can I hop out of my truck, load my shotgun, and engage the birds from the dirt road? I know that I’m going to get people asking why I would want to do that as it’s not real hunting, I’m just wanting to know the legal aspect of it. Thank you in advance!
I believe you have to be in the ditch, not actually still on the road. But as long as you are shooting away from the road and not along it, you are good to go. lots of people walk the ditches looking for grouse or partridge and pheasant. One thing I am not sure about is how far from your vehicle you must be. I believe that is a federal firearms requirement and not in the hunting regulations. Something worth looking up.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I believe you have to be in the ditch, not actually still on the road. But as long as you are shooting away from the road and not along it, you are good to go. lots of people walk the ditches looking for grouse or partridge and pheasant. One thing I am not sure about is how far from your vehicle you must be. I believe that is a federal firearms requirement and not in the hunting regulations. Something worth looking up.
Did some quick searching,the only thing I can find is that you cannot be touching the truck, unless hunting antelope , when hunting antelope you must be 50 yards away.
“not discharging a firearm while in or on any motorized land vehicle or
trailer" is another line I found. So by the looks of things as long as I’m not touching the truck I will be okay. I’ll make sure to make my way into the ditch before I begin shooting just incase I can’t be on the gravel road. Better safe then sorry I guess.

Tags
bird, duck, geese, pond, shotgun