Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 12:22 PM

Default Pointing Dog Training Equipment

Hey everyone, I am looking at good places to buy dog training gear. Looking for bird launchers, starter pistol, and place boards (solid quality ones). I am aware of the big websites but was curious if there was any local Alberta stores or if anyone was looking to downsize their setup. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2021, 09:37 PM

Default Starter pistols

I don't use them, as I usually train alone, often with a young dog, thus I'm very close to her when I fire the gun. I just want a bang not a noise that will frighten the dog. I have found that $1.00 cap gun from the dollars store works just fine.

As far as bird launchers are concerned they are expensive and a lot of "fooling around" and only one shot. Try to get a friend to help you if you are training for long marks.

When I don't have help, I run her on "sight blinds" I put the dummy standing up in the snow so she can see them and send her for them.

Welcome to the hobby.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:18 PM

There was a fellow by Chestermere? that was selling training stuff - maybe someone knows who he is and whether he is still in the business.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:52 AM

https://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com/Default.asp

https://www.canadiangundogsupply.com/

The above two places are owned by dog enthusiasts that give back to the sport and provide personalized service. Don't hold it against them that they live in Ontario. They are good folks. Real good folks.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:45 PM

+1 for Dakota Creek and CGDS, I bought most of my stuff from both of them and have nothing but good to say. Neither is a big box store, they're just folks trying to make a living.

DC is big in the retriever trials out there and CGDS has always been top notch service. DC is also I think the only retailer I could find that carries all of Ruffland's products (water hole!)

CGDS' owner called me directly about an issue with an order and wanted nothing more than to make me happy, ended up downselling me to a cheaper but better fit product.

Only caveat is I bought my bumpers off Amazon because the Avery Hex's are by far the best that I've found, and they're significantly cheaper there if you watch for price drops. Not sure if pointers use bumpers though.

Far as I know there aren't any bird dog stores in Alberta.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:42 PM

Default Thanks

Awesome thank you guys for the responses i will check them out!!

Tags
dog, dog training, hunting dog, pointing dogs