Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
So again I'm new to this whole baitcaster thing. What is the difference between the big round baitcaster, and the low profile ones. Are there different uses for them, or is it just a different style? I always thought the big round style was for trolling not really for casting.
I find the low profile much easier to cast, as most have a thumb bar in the middle of the reel, making it easier to cast. If you are trolling a lot with it the flipping switch is also a nice feature available on quite a few of the baitcast. My main baitcast reel for trolling is a Shimano Castaic which has the "flipping" feature right on the thumb bar.
When first starting to cast, cast your lure up and away, this pulls the line of the reel and then when the momentum of the lure stops pulling line it just falls into the water, virtually eliminates any bird nests.
Keep your drum brake a bit on the tight side to start, it reduces your casting distance but cuts way down on birds nest until you get the feel of it, then slowly loosen the drum brake off a bit more for more distance. When setting your drum brake, tie on you lure and push the thumb bar. The lure should drop slowly, adjust the drum brake tighter or looser until this happens, this is usually a good starting drum brake drag.
Drum brake sets reel for when thumb bar is dressed (casting), "star" or actual reel drag is for fighting fish when thumb bar is not engaged (retrieving).