Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2016, 01:25 PM

Default Enclosed Trailer Theft Defense

Anyone have any great ideas on ways to protect your enclosed trailer or trailers in general from being stolen (assuming storage is outdoors) ?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:32 PM

Take the wheels off, and lower it down so you need a jack to lift it up to put the wheels on, don't make it easy to haul away
nimrod
Old 02-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Our company vans have GPS and you can get a self contained GPS unit for your trailer, it may not stop it from being stolen but you will find it back.
they have their own batteries and I they are small enough to hide somewhere on trailer. Ours are from Certified Radio group.
there is a monthly fee for monitoring, but they work!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:57 PM

Try a trailer lock. Nothing is 100% but will deter the opertunistic thief.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Our company vans have GPS and you can get a self contained GPS unit for your trailer, it may not stop it from being stolen but you will find it back.
they have their own batteries and I they are small enough to hide somewhere on trailer. Ours are from Certified Radio group.
there is a monthly fee for monitoring, but they work!
I did a claim for a owner of a company and he showed me something similar that they put on their flat decks. He was notified it was on the move just after the theft happened and they got the trailer back real quick. Hidden real nice on the trailer too.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Take the wheels off, and lower it down so you need a jack to lift it up to put the wheels on, don't make it easy to haul away
nimrod
X2 - Take the wheel off, put in on blocks and and lock them inside. Build a lock bar to span between the two axles with flat bar and bolt the SOB on there with anti theft wheel nuts. Also lock up or remove the hitch. The more work they have to do to get it the quicker they will look elsewhere.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
X2 - Take the wheel off, put in on blocks and and lock them inside. Build a lock bar to span between the two axles with flat bar and bolt the SOB on there with anti theft wheel nuts. Also lock up or remove the hitch. The more work they have to do to get it the quicker they will look elsewhere.
This seems like an awful lot of work if you are going to actually use the trailer with any frequency.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Banned

A wheel boot.

Read your insurance fine print, for utility trailers they can deny theft coverage if your trailer does was not wearing one. Receiver locks are not good enough in the eyes of the insurance co's
Old 02-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Buried 6 ft concrete pillar with a 50 ft HD chain (painted black) attached to axles.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestique View Post
A wheel boot.

Read your insurance fine print, for utility trailers they can deny theft coverage if your trailer does was not wearing one. Receiver locks are not good enough in the eyes of the insurance co's
A semi, so a bit different, but my uncle had one one his trailer, forgot it was there, went to hook it up and bang. Walked back to see what happened, the lock was lying on the ground broke. He picked it up, threw it out, hooked up the trailer and carried on.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goater View Post
Buried 6 ft concrete pillar with a 50 ft HD chain (painted black) attached to axles.
No offense but this sounds like the most work of any of the options mentioned and the least secure. Takes less than a minute and a $25 hacksaw to thwart that security device.

Not to mention if they don't notice it they destroy your axel anyhow leaving you with an insurance claim.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Try a trailer lock. Nothing is 100% but will deter the opertunistic thief.

Those kind will break with a small hammer.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 PM

A couple of these strategically placed, with a thin trip wire that is fairly invisible in the dark (when the trailer is most likely to get lifted), and you've got yourself a sure fire mechanism to deter theft. Anything less than this and your trailer will probably be gone, most 'anti-theft' devices are like locks on your house. They keep honest people out, but the semi competent thief will laugh at most of the devices mentioned. But, they won't laugh at a claymore from my understanding......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-29-2016, 05:01 PM

Default M18 Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
A couple of these strategically placed, with a thin trip wire that is fairly invisible in the dark (when the trailer is most likely to get lifted), and you've got yourself a sure fire mechanism to deter theft. Anything less than this and your trailer will probably be gone, most 'anti-theft' devices are like locks on your house. They keep honest people out, but the semi competent thief will laugh at most of the devices mentioned. But, they won't laugh at a claymore from my understanding......

Best Theft deterrent ever.

" Claymore, making buckshot look like a cap gun since 1960"
Old 02-29-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic338 View Post
Best Theft deterrent ever.

" Claymore, making buckshot look like a cap gun since 1960"
The only problem with these, is when the family comes to identify the body and they can't.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-29-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestique View Post
A wheel boot.

Not sure where you are hearing this, since when has anyone had to lock it up for coverage? If so change companies, anyone else hear this?
Old 02-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Not sure where you are hearing this, since when has anyone had to lock it up for coverage? If so change companies, anyone else hear this?
Research it.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The only problem with these, is when the family comes to identify the body and they can't.
There's always the DNA bank, most criminals have membership!
A couple pieces is all that's needed
Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
This might be a buddy of the pinehust pike guy !! Lol Just kidding !
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
This might be a buddy of the pinehust pike guy !! Lol Just kidding !
Ha ha you bet I had thought about that what a laugher that story is. Maybe a distant brother. I had two buddies that had there trailer stolen, never had a problem collecting from insurance.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:01 PM

The roofing and siding guys park their zoom booms behind them, and put the boom over and in front of it, keeping it from going forwards or backwards.
Apparently now the thieves are just cutting through the side wall of the trailer, and emptying it.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM

Great ideas here. But a cordless grinDer solves most of them. I have 4 trailers and some never see the light of day from inside the shop.
I've always wondered why there isn't a cordless/wireless connection to a trailer from a password protected parent (authourized) vehicle. Unauthorized vehicles in front would flash continuously or brake sporadically.
there ain't much that can be done other than not have a trailer in the first place...I have four trailers so im not one to talk☺

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
This seems like an awful lot of work if you are going to actually use the trailer with any frequency.
Based on the OP stating for outdoor "storage" then yes. If it was me, yes, that's what I would do to store it. If I was using it all the time there wouldn't be much sense to that. Maybe just a Denver Boot is in order.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
That is about the best you can do...and keep it insured against theft, because if they really want it they usually get it.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:30 PM

Park the trailer in the yard, park a few big dogs in the yard, teach them to be wary of strangers.