Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Default Collision Damage Waivers

Virtually every time I have rented a car in the USA and have waived collision damage citing coverage by my own policy or credit card ... I worry about what "hassle" could ensue should a claim be necessary. Any actual experience with making a claim in the USA using either of the aforementioned coverages?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Don't know about the US but a friend of mine rented an SUV a few yrs back to go duck hunting, the thing was hit and run and he reported to Budget and Visa and it was all looked after. Do not recall him having any real issues with Visa or Budget.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:31 PM

I always pay for the rental with Visa and have a rental rider on my insurance. For the 27 bucks a year I'm covered by my own policy for any car I rent and get a rental included if I'm in a collision. I like being covered by both in case there are in unforeseen issues as the Visa coverage is free.

My bother in law got rear ended in the US and had to front the 5000 on visa until he got reimbursed some time later. If he had a rider then a phone call would have covered the cost.