Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 11:45 AM

Default Shoot out in Canmore

Looks like the Mounties could use a little time at the range, but I thank them all the same. Woke up to the sound of a chopper last night.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...man-in-canmore
Old 02-25-2023, 12:43 PM

Bad guy in custody and went to hospital with serious injuries. Given that handguns are NOT the most efficient or effective tool to kill humans, why does the officer need more time at the range? You know facts on the case the general public doesn't?? Distances involved, cover, concealment, nature of injury, rounds fired, weapons used etc...?
Old 02-25-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Bad guy in custody and went to hospital with serious injuries. Given that handguns are NOT the most efficient or effective tool to kill humans, why does the officer need more time at the range? You know facts on the case the general public doesn't?? Distances involved, cover, concealment, nature of injury, rounds fired, weapons used etc...?
How do you spell HUMOR in your language?
Old 02-25-2023, 01:14 PM

I am surprised that anyone in Canmore has a firearm, other than a biathlon rifle.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:33 PM

Sounds to me like the bad guy was probably a freelance pharmacist. Glad the officer is OK, running gun battles can't be that fun.
Old 02-25-2023, 01:40 PM

I think the rcmp in Canmore are a bit less prepared for a shootout than the ones from Vancouver or Toronto would be. I would assume small town officers react a lot differently when the chit goes down.

Range time and simulations consisting of more than just shooting caribou off of the hood of your cruiser should be required even for small town officers.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am surprised that anyone in Canmore has a firearm, other than a biathlon rifle.
Actually we have upwards of 400 members at our local range and about 8 law enforcement agencies that qualify there.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
How do you spell HUMOR in your language?
HUMOUR - in this country .... !
Old 02-25-2023, 05:06 PM

Earlier this month, CPS Chief Mark Neufeld said police discharging their firearms during an incident is uncommon.

A lot more common than it used to be, no way around that.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-25-2023, 05:31 PM

I have always thought they are supposed to go for the big target part of the body if they need to discharge their weapon. With a hand held gun it's not that easy when under stress. I also think they are under gunned in most altercations. Not a gun owner myself. So no expert at all. Been lots of killings by LEO's. What would I do in certain situations? Don't know
Old 02-25-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think the rcmp in Canmore are a bit less prepared for a shootout than the ones from Vancouver or Toronto would be. I would assume small town officers react a lot differently when the chit goes down.

Range time and simulations consisting of more than just shooting caribou off of the hood of your cruiser should be required even for small town officers.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Pure gold!!!
Old 02-25-2023, 07:34 PM

Nope, I think just about the last thing we need is a more lethal, armed, corrupt state entity that believes it is above the law and enforces ottawas communist policies on us.

Should be issued 40 lb trigger springs, and 2.4 practice rounds per decade. No point wasting tax dollars on barrels.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I have always thought they are supposed to go for the big target part of the body if they need to discharge their weapon. With a hand held gun it's not that easy when under stress. I also think they are under gunned in most altercations. Not a gun owner myself. So no expert at all. Been lots of killings by LEO's. What would I do in certain situations? Don't know
Yup, center of mass, tap, tap.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-25-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
HUMOUR - in this country .... !
exactly what I was going to say
Old 02-25-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Good post
Makes sense to me
Nothing to do with humor
Old 02-25-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Earlier this month, CPS Chief Mark Neufeld said police discharging their firearms during an incident is uncommon.

A lot more common than it used to be, no way around that.

Grizz

About 2 weeks back CPS had to ventilate & neutralize a junkie that attacked an officer who responded to the B&E they were committing, the junkie expired. It was at a vacant commercial office building near Marlborough Home Depot, I'm currently quoting some work in the place. I had to return post-incident for extra measurements & the property manager was funny on the phone, suggesting I check the building perimeter for signs of forced entrance before entering. I joked that I could go home & grab a handgun if it would make him feel better, which amused him.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Center mass offers the largest target area on a human. When tunnel vision, auditory exclusion stress and everything else comes into play during a life or death encounter, it’s most likely the only thing that you can hit reliably. Even then when you look at rounds sent vs hits the ratio is fairly low. Which is ironic because a lot of people who criticize and think they could do better have never been in a situation like that so of course on a nice safe range you are more likely to get good solid hits. In High stress situations it’s all about gross motor skills as your fine motor skills will disappear 99% of the time unless you practice practice practice and are exposed to multiple situations(spec ops/swat type stuff).
Old 02-25-2023, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Nope, I think just about the last thing we need is a more lethal, armed, corrupt state entity that believes it is above the law and enforces ottawas communist policies on us.

Should be issued 40 lb trigger springs, and 2.4 practice rounds per decade. No point wasting tax dollars on barrels.
I read stuff like this and before I reply I think, why bother?
Old 02-26-2023, 01:29 AM

Irony
Old 02-26-2023, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Exactly

Quote:
Center mass offers the largest target area on a human. When tunnel vision, auditory exclusion stress and everything else comes into play during a life or death encounter, it’s most likely the only thing that you can hit reliably. Even then when you look at rounds sent vs hits the ratio is fairly low. Which is ironic because a lot of people who criticize and think they could do better have never been in a situation like that so of course on a nice safe range you are more likely to get good solid hits. In High stress situations it’s all about gross motor skills as your fine motor skills will disappear 99% of the time unless you practice practice practice and are exposed to multiple situations(spec ops/swat type stuff).
Well articulated, but some will still not get...
Old 02-26-2023, 07:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
Sometimes it’s best to take the high road.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-26-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Mike in canmore was always a reliable buyer of now banned firearms.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:11 AM

Apologies to those offended by my atrocious spelling.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Potato gun, $18.99 @ gift shop.

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 02-26-2023, 11:14 AM

The bad guy had a gun, and was willing to use it. Cop has every right to defend himself.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-26-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
The bad guy had a gun, and was willing to use it. Cop has every right to defend himself.
No argument there, it's just too bad that he didn't kill the bad guy, and rid society of the garbage.