Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Really what are those
I guess it didn't freaking work or it wasn't freaking hooked up snap out of it time to go for a walk

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2020, 07:44 PM

Headed back up to the baits to hook up the spypoint cellular booster and it was worth the $100 purchase!!

We went from having shoty signal with no pics coming to getting a steady signal and photos flowing in!! Having these cellular cams on the bait is A game changer. Not only does it keep a guy entertained seeing the different small creatures coming in but it also taking away the guessing game on if the baits been hit.

Brought my 5 year old son up for the adventure this time. Being his first time experiencing a bear bait he was full of questions and excitement haha

The boy has been sleeping in tents with me spot and stalk bear hunting since he was 3!! Not sure if I am ready fo have him sit in a tree stand yet tho haha I don’t think he can sit still long enough haha.

Here is some pics from the cam!

Heading up to work now for two weeks. Baits are locked and loaded!! Hopefully don’t run dry and when we get back the actions is heating up!

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2020, 02:49 AM

Tracked quad, New Territory, Google earth. exploring a new area. All these preparations will pay off in SPADES. with the actions leading up to the harvest.
Nudge I have to take my hat of you. I know a guys quite similar to yourself that is on a break but he follows your threads & guaranteed it will light of fire under his bum which may just be the jolt he needs to putt him over the for getting back out there & mixing I up angainl

Looking forward to moor of the journey Nuge... It's the funest part Thanks for this thread much appreciated PAL !!
Old 04-23-2020, 06:45 AM

Awesome topic Hugenuge !

Been meaning for years to get cameras....I'll be looking into these.
Do they take night shots ?
Old 04-23-2020, 01:49 PM

Just saw my first black bear of the season today. Mature boar along the banks of the Athabasca River.

Good luck Nuge!

Old 04-24-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Awesome topic Hugenuge !

Been meaning for years to get cameras....I'll be looking into these.
Do they take night shots ?

Hi Reeves1 you bet they do! Pretty decent quality to! See the two little visitors I had so far this year! They cleaned up my beaver pretty good haha. Beaver is in a cage now haha

Old 04-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Check out the visitor I had the other day. In all my years baiting I have never seen another big game predator on my baits until now. Pretty barn cool! The cougar is landing towards the ground from left to right. Left side is his paws about to impact and right is his hine legs tucked up. Can also see his tail there!! First pic is of bait as normal second pic is of the cougar left side of the grey barrel.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:37 PM

Default Thank You

Thanks for posting this thread Nudge. For all of us guys that
can't make it out this SEASON we will be living vicoursly though you (no pressure... lol) your style is right up my alley btw. Google Earth, Tradked quad. Getting in there early when it's much easier going, Beavers, VANILLA EXTRACT . Everything but the kitchen sink.W'll be watching this Thread like a hawk. You know what burns my behind. Not being able to participate. except for words on this forum. go get em NUGE ... Can't wait to see the result. I"m Pulling for ya Big Time. & Once again I like your Style !!
Old 04-27-2020, 05:42 AM

I have to say this spypoint camera is worth its weight in gold! To be up at work and have this intel is priceless. I have been getting 1-3 pics daily of a raven, cougar, Martin so when I woke up today and saw the cam sent me 9 photos my heart started racing with excitement hoping the added activity was bears!

One of my favourite parts of bear baiting is that anticipation of what bear, how many bears, what Color and when will they hit!!

This year starting baits in a new area the added question to all that anticipation is will they hit? Well THEY HAVE!!!

Looks like I got a sow and her second year cub checking things out!

Old 04-27-2020, 06:51 AM

It starts

Guess I should buy a tag soon
Old 04-27-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Coverage required?

Dude, forgive my ignorance but do you need cell coverage to get this to work? I ask because my baits are 700 km from where I live and there is NO coverage at bear camp LTE/3G or otherwise.

Thx
Old 04-27-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
Dude, forgive my ignorance but do you need cell coverage to get this to work? I ask because my baits are 700 km from where I live and there is NO coverage at bear camp LTE/3G or otherwise.

Thx
Yes you absolutely need cell coverage. And typically decent coverage to boot...
From my experience with the Uway(Ridgetech) cams anyways...
Old 04-27-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Thx
Cacty, You need cell coverage and even with cell coverage sometimes you need the additional cell booster antenna as high as you can get it in the tree to get reliable communications.
Cheers
Old 04-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Thx

Here is what u can do tho. Yes you need cell reception but your probably not getting it because your below the trees and a good ways from the nearest tower. However there is solutions for this. You can buy a Yaggi antenna with 60’ of cable and an adapter to your cam. You stick the Antenna at the top of a tree making side antenna is above the trees, run the cable down to the cam and very good chances you get a signal. I have also heard of guys buying the camera like I have and the spypoint booster and going from no bars to bars which is all u need. You can always pick them up at Cabela’s and of the booster doesn’t get u want u want return it. Cabela’s has the spypoint micro on sale right now to!!

Old 04-27-2020, 04:52 PM

Fun pics Huge...
I get Lynx and bobcats on my baits a lot, early morning or late evening they perch very near waiting for mice and squirrels. Marten are frequent visitors as well.
While sitting over baits over the years I've been surprised at how many wolves have shown up considering I do not use meat. Fisher are most common along with bears.

Osky
Old 04-27-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
Thanks for posting this thread Nudge. For all of us guys that
can't make it out this SEASON we will be living vicoursly though you (no pressure... lol) your style is right up my alley btw. Google Earth, Tradked quad. Getting in there early when it's much easier going, Beavers, VANILLA EXTRACT . Everything but the kitchen sink.W'll be watching this Thread like a hawk. You know what burns my behind. Not being able to participate. except for words on this forum. go get em NUGE ... Can't wait to see the result. I"m Pulling for ya Big Time. & Once again I like your Style !!

Thanks for your encouragement Popcan! Glad I can bring some enjoyment to you! I know your threads in the past brought me some!! Stay tuned

Old 04-28-2020, 05:43 AM

Thx gents.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:04 AM

The action is heating up! Got 3 bears hitting the bait now! Can’t wait to get home from work and get after it!! One more week to go!!

Old 05-02-2020, 05:52 AM

Heck yes! That’s awesome, glad the work paid off, and paid off fast. Good luck hunting!
Old 05-02-2020, 08:42 PM

I love following your hunting adventures. Im excited for you. All the best to you when you get time to get out there, I hope you connect with a bear of a lifetime.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:03 AM

Awesome, good luck!

I've set my bait Saturday and will see how it goes. I picked up one of those Micro-Link and love it so far. I was worried about cell coverage but so far I'm between 2 to 3 out 5 for service and am getting pics of two lucky trash pandas. I've seen plenty of scats when I went out so it's a matter of days before they hit. The temps have been ****ty so hopefully it changes quick!
Old 05-04-2020, 11:04 AM

That bruiser in picture 1, 2 &3 looks like a tank!

BW
Old 05-04-2020, 08:20 PM

Had another visitor today! Smaller bear but fun to to see. That’s 4 bears on the bait now. The big bore came in that one day and yet to return!?? Basically been a mom and cub show every day. I wonder where the bore went? Back to his den? Kicked off by momma? Ah well I’m sure he will be back! 4 more days till I can get up there!! Baits running’s low! Praying it holds them.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:28 AM

3 days until the hunt is on!!!

Old 05-06-2020, 06:34 AM

Just a thought, when I was hunting bears, a sow with cubs was the king of the bait, she would always run other bears out, so I set up another bait, only 3 or 400 yards down from the 1st bait, let her eat in peace, hunted to other bait, shot 1 bear off that one 2 days after setting up, seems you have a few barrels you could move.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Choot'em hugenuge....choot'em!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-07-2020, 07:04 AM

This thread has been an awesome follow and read. Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date. Can't wait to see how it works out.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:26 AM

On the bus now from working up north of fort Mac! Heading to the aerodrome to board a plane to come home!! Going to gather up all the bait I need to replenish the site! Mix between pigs, oats, popcorn, grease and beaver!

Friday need to spend some much needed time with my wife and kids but then say morning it’s go time!!

My bait will have ran dry by then but that’s the breaks with working a newly adjusted 14-14 shift due to the covid response but I’m sure if we don’t have anything on the bait we will find something spot and stalk and it will just be a matter of time before the fresh buffet has the bears coming again!!

Stay tuned! EXCITED !!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:29 AM

I am very thankful for this community because after my latest post it was brought to my attention that pigs cannot be used for bait. Never seen that in the regs before but now I do. We were going to try pigs this go around instead of beaver but not now! I’ll stick with the beaver hahaha

Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Pigs

[QUOTE=Hugenuge;4165411]I am very thankful for this community because after my latest post it was brought to my attention that pigs cannot be used for bait. Never seen that in the regs before but now I do. We were going to try pigs this go around instead of beaver but not now! I’ll stick with the beaver hahaha

I’d make a phone call because people have been using pork scraps to bait forever in Alberta. If piggy is whole just chop him up.