Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Anyone using mechanicals for Elk or moose?

Looking to buy some new Broadhead. I've been using g5 montec but have not been overly impressed with blood tattoos. I am considering going to a mechanical, like the wax em 3 blade mechanical... I keep reading that fixed is the way to go with Elk but wanted to see if anyone is using mechanicals and what ones?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Grim Reaper 100gr Razor Tip, killed 4 elk 4 years in a row now and a couple of mule deer too. 40 yard pass through on an elk works for me.

Between myself and two friends we are around 30+ animals with no failures, watch most of the animals drop. Deer, moose and elk.

Results speak for themselves.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 AM

Thank you.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 AM

The key is to make sure you have 60-65KE MINIMUM as that's what is required to have these open reliably, if you are lower than that KE value you should stay with fixed blades.

LC
Old 06-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Banned

I shoot the GrimReapaers chisel tips and have seen the job they do. I have no problems recommending them to anyone.

This year I'm going to try out the GraveDigger hybrid mechanical/fixed blade in chisel tip. They have great reviews and I like the idea of the fixed in case of the unlikely event, given the mechanicals I have now, fail to open.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I shoot the GrimReapaers chisel tips and have seen the job they do. I have no problems recommending them to anyone.

This year I'm going to try out the GraveDigger hybrid mechanical/fixed blade in chisel tip. They have great reviews and I like the idea of the fixed in case of the unlikely event, given the mechanicals I have now, fail to open.
Grim Reaper has a Hybrid head as well.

LC
Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The key is to make sure you have 60-65KE MINIMUM as that's what is required to have these open reliably, if you are lower than that KE value you should stay with fixed blades.

LC
Not to stir the pot or anything but you know as I do that people fling arrows at some far distances, what is the energy out at 50 plus yards? Enough to operate the mechanical mechanism etc?

My choice has and will be fixed not that I go out past 30 yards.

I watched a show the other day where a mechanical opened during flight and it change the arrows trajectory...that really sucked too

If you add more variables to possibly fail...it may catch up sooner than later...180" gagger...gone

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not to stir the pot or anything but you know as I do that people fling arrows at some far distances, what is the energy out at 50 plus yards? Enough to operate the mechanical mechanism etc?

My choice has and will be fixed not that I go out past 30 yards.

I watched a show the other day where a mechanical opened during flight and it change the arrows trajectory...that really sucked too

If you add more variables to possibly fail...it may catch up sooner than later...180" gagger...gone
My setup has around 77-79KE, and it punched the arrow diagonally through a bull elk at 40 yards. I know it has enough ommpff at distance to do the job. I also don't like to take shots past 40 while hunting, unless I already have a hole in the animal.

LC
Old 06-29-2017, 01:21 PM

See my opinions below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not to stir the pot or anything but you know as I do that people fling arrows at some far distances, what is the energy out at 50 plus yards? Enough to operate the mechanical mechanism etc? Yep, enough to blow through a 185" Mule Buck last fall

My choice has and will be fixed not that I go out past 30 yards. Sometimes you have no other choice

I watched a show the other day where a mechanical opened during flight and it change the arrows trajectory...that really sucked too Lots of evidence of fixed blades not hitting the spot each and every time

If you add more variables to possibly fail...it may catch up sooner than later...180" gagger...gone Hasn't caught up to me in 20+ years of using mechanicals. Haven't hit an animal every one of the 20+ years (my own fault) but has never bit me yet
Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Again, those highlighted in red are my OPINIONS and may not reflect everyone else's thoughts..... read my signature.

J.