Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 04:21 PM

Default Hanging Culvert Database

All the habitat discussion around the Central Trout Recovery Plan has got me wondering something:

Is anyone maintaining a database of hanging culverts?

Of all the issues plaguing trout habitat, this seems like the lowest hanging fruit. It costs money to fix, but doesn't limit any group’s ability to work or use the land. Certainly if such a list existed it could form the basis of a “to do” list for any future recovery plans.

With all the people using this forum and maybe a few other groups/associations, I would imagine a pretty comprehensive list could be made.

-Scott
Old 03-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Culverts

My thoughts on the matter are that the government levels do a better job than industry. As far as a database, good idea, likely an Alberta environment task.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:49 PM

Yes there are databases. But not available to everyone. But human footprint can be seen on ABMI (http://www.abmi.ca/home/maps?region=...onOpacity=0.75) where you could see road overlap and streams. Hope this helps start your project. I highly suggest making your database of culverts public for access.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:05 AM

Hey guys, I work in tech and am passionate about this issue. It wouldn't be difficult to set up - lots of free/open-source options out there. Let me know if you'd like any help setting this up.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Now we're talking fellas.

I think this would be an awesome idea if the anglers using watersheds compiled their own database and started bringing issues to the government.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Awesome!

Would a good way to send this information be to take geo-tagged pictures of the hanging culverts and send them in? That way you would have the evidence and location? That would be easy to do with a smartphone or modern action camera.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:13 PM

The AER inspects these on oil field roads, not sure if alberta environment does it for other disposition holders
Old 03-07-2018, 01:27 PM

This is a fantastic idea. Trouthype, is there any way that we could create a smartphone app of sorts? Using iform, or survey123? The app could ask a few simple questions (ie. height, water depth) and have a place for pictures. That data could be uploaded to a larger database. I know the data form apps can also automatically add location (utm, lat/long) and date.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM

Yes a database almost certainly exists as they have already surveyed over 8400 crossings.

Documenting these culverts and making them public information and sending information to these biologists in the hopes of applying public pressure to encourage fixing them may be more of a hindrance then help. The problem for the most part isn't knowing where the trouble spots are it is getting the permits and financing required to get the work done. Angler pressure could perhaps help speed that process up in some cases but it would also be a significant headache for the bios involved and could create more division and frustration then help.

As anglers we opposed their closures but going forward we need to make sure we are helping these biologists out not just make their jobs more difficult.

I would at least recommend getting in touch with some of the NCNT biologists and asking their view point as to whether or not this would actually be of any help. Perhaps offer to check out areas they haven't yet checked and report to them on those spots or something like that.

As per the biologists email response to anglers on the closures they recommended people joining trout unlimited's mailing list to receive updates on how to participate in reclamation projects.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a hanging culvert?
Old 03-07-2018, 04:52 PM

its a culvert that is above the natural grade of the water shed, there fore every time it flows the water cascades out and causes erosion, siltation etc...
Old 03-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
its a culvert that is above the natural grade of the water shed, there fore every time it flows the water cascades out and causes erosion, siltation etc...
And is a major migration barrier for spawning as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 PM

A great idea. Why not send these pictures to the biologists and the journalists, as well. Do a "Trump", shame the industry and the government into taking action.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
Thanks for the education.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
This is a fantastic idea. Trouthype, is there any way that we could create a smartphone app of sorts? Using iform, or survey123? The app could ask a few simple questions (ie. height, water depth) and have a place for pictures. That data could be uploaded to a larger database. I know the data form apps can also automatically add location (utm, lat/long) and date.
I checked these out but it looks like they are both fairly expensive? After a little research it looks like all open source mobile data collection apps are either too limited based on the amount of users allowed to contribute, dont have an iOS app/web interface, or require you to host the apps/servers/databases yourself.

I did find one - Epicollect5 (https://five.epicollect.net/) that is pretty good, but requires that a user be on-site to send the location data. It would be nice to be able to find known locations on a map and add them instead of having to travel to each one.

In the interest of simplicity, would a shareable google map not work? It allows for adding photos and a description where those details could be listed.

Here is an example: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W3...r9&usp=sharing
Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 PM

All

Thanks for all the support, ideas and opinions.

I would like to do a little research. Confirm 100% that TUC or the government have not actually done this already and made it public.

To speak to RavYak’s point I’ve lost a lot of faith in TUC and in the regional biologists over the NCNT. I believe anglers have a right to know what is being done to protect habitat and also what is NOT being done.

I also believe there is a lot of value in crowd sourcing this activity. It could be kept current, accurate and done so for basically free.

Assuming I don’t find anything equivalent I think the easiest way to approach this would be:

1) Get a basic google map added on a dedicated website where pins can be added. I see this has been done to track wild boars across Canada: http://wildboarcanada.ca/#sthash.hUjVlklF.dpbs

2) Add features:
• Tie pictures and database information to each pin
• Flexible and easy reporting process (Upload pictures, GPS coordinates, geo-tagged pictures, locations etc.)
• Detailed water body map like on FWIMT: https://maps.alberta.ca/FWIMT_Pub/?T...ewer=FWIMT_Pub
• Ability to submit updates on culverts
• Generate a database

3) Make it mobile friendly/make an app.

I am going to meet with a web designer friend in the next couple of days to try and get a feel for exactly how difficult this would be.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 PM

The ACA funded a road crossing assessment in Swan Hills perhaps 20 years ago. Perhaps a query to the ACA will get you the report.
While the survey will not be up to date, based on the Govt activity past, I suspect few have been repaired.

Don
Old 03-10-2018, 11:02 AM

Excellent idea... expand to include habitat degradation (stream crossings, etc...). Great ideas happen and this has been done and is being worked on by industry and government https://fscp.friresearch.ca/ So how do we support this - we need to apply pressure. The real simple way to get these problems into the public eye, right now - post a picture with google earth location on Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (BHA) Facebook page. BHA is primarily about volunteer driven advocacy and is not being steered by a need to maintain income to fund programs/staff. I've found this organization to be independent from outside influence; they put wilderness, hunting and angling first. We mostly just need to turn up the heat to see the work done and showcase the good work that is being done. I see industry and government along with TUC, AFGA and AOHVA as the primary groups to deliver the goods. Show what needs to be fixed; help fix it (join one or all of these organizations), praise good work, repeat. We will get there. Your idea is great... if you can think of ways to make it easier to get the message out, I'm all ears.