Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-03-2017, 10:14 PM

Default Argo Track Tuners??

Is anyone running track tuners on their HDI? I'm thinking of ordering a set but wondering if there is anyone already running them and if they are having any issues?

A Track Tuner™ reduces chain wind-up by up to 90%, freeing horsepower and extending chain, bearing and sprocket wear. A 1" difference in tire diameter on a 25" tire is a difference of 31 complete revolutions in a mile. This is the source of damaging chain wind-up. That larger tire is trying to make 31 less revolutions in a mile while inside a high friction environment such as rubber tracks.

Track Tuners eliminate this by allowing the center axles to free-wheel and not transfer this delta into the chain sub-system.

The track tuner™ is placed on the two mid axles (or single mid on a 6x6) on both sides of the vehicle. A 6x6 requires 2 tuners and an 8x8 requires 4 tuners to work properly.

I'm worried about track slippage with just the front and rear wheels pulling? Any input from users would be great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (20.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 AM

It's all in the setup. I have them and ran them with the rubber tracks as well. If you don't have your track tension spot on your tires will slip in the rubber tracks. That's an easy fix, just add air to your tires and/or pull the metal track extension out. People having issues aren't using them properly, or being lazy to set their tire pressures optimum to keep the track tight. I see too many Argo's running loose tracks to the point they slap the tub body when riding.

Right now I'm running Escargo metal tracks so even when loose they are practically impossible to slip in. The tires act like sprockets to the tracks no matter wet or dry.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM

I ran them with good success. Makes running rubber tracks much easier.
Call Adair ( I want to say Tim, but it's been a few years) and chat with them, they are very helpful.
An another note if I was to run tracks again I would get either Adair or escargo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm running rubber tracks and was wondering if the pro's of using Track Tuners out way the cons. It seems it does.

Running track tuners sounds like its much easier on your chains and bearings.

Sparx - I always wondered if there are issues with sticks going through or getting caught between the metal on Escargo metal tracks?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Track tuners do need to be maintained as well. They take grease and after about 100hrs they seem to need to be tightened up after the initial break in. I find it's all part of my pre-fall or spring maintenance routine. The worse with an Argo is the first couple hundred hours for maintenance then it slows down significantly on tightening the bearing housings and greasing.

The Escargo tracks with the Argo tires are very reliable. Sticks or anything seem to get mulched up without issue. I used to get sidewall flats with my rubber tracks and ended up tubing 4 of my 8 tires with that unit. I haven't had a flat and climbed over everything possible with the Escargo tracks. They are pretty much indestructible tracks, nothing has come loose and they swim great too.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Track Tuners

I run them on my '07 Avenger with Argo rubber tracks and have had good luck. Like said previously, proper tire pressure is key. Call Tim at Adair Argo and he'll get you setup. Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Do they match up with the '07 bolt pattern? Nothing to modify? Just need the spacing offset and go from there?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Do they match up with the '07 bolt pattern? Nothing to modify? Just need the spacing offset and go from there?
No change in bolt pattern, all the same. 2.5" spacing for Rubber tracks and 3" spacing for the Escargo tracks. Just pop the ends off to grease before initial use and the metal ends off like a typical axle hub to remove a cotter pin and turn in the axle nut to snug up the bearings after set in.
While ordering might as well get 4 steel wheel spacers for the other wheels instead of using the aluminum factory one's with stud spacers. They all come with the extra wheel studs as well. Less chance of failure from them coming loose that way.