Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Portable Meat Cooler

My hunting buddies and I are trying to come up with some ideas for a cooler we can take with us when we go hunt early season elk. We are planning on using a window shaker AC unit with a cool bot. We might use a enclosed trailer or we may build the cooler to fit on a trailer. If any of you guys have such a set up and were willing to share some picture that would be appreciated. Any tips are welcome. Happy hunting!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:40 AM

Window AC unit cools down to about 68degees F. Meat should be kept at about 40F. So I've been curious as to how well these homemade coolers function. Is 68F cool enough to keep meat from spoiling???
Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Did you try going on the coolbot site.They have helpful suggestions for building stationery and portable coolers.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Window AC unit cools down to about 68degees F. Meat should be kept at about 40F. So I've been curious as to how well these homemade coolers function. Is 68F cool enough to keep meat from spoiling???
The cool bot is a controller that will allow the AC unit to run at 36'F with out freezing up.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM

We put a deep freeze on a trailer and ran it with a generator. Have to let it cool by hanging in a tree the first night or else you will get nothing but moisture I'm the freezer
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_maclean99 View Post
My hunting buddies and I are trying to come up with some ideas for a cooler we can take with us when we go hunt early season elk. We are planning on using a window shaker AC unit with a cool bot. We might use a enclosed trailer or we may build the cooler to fit on a trailer. If any of you guys have such a set up and were willing to share some picture that would be appreciated. Any tips are welcome. Happy hunting!
Check out Alberta surplus sales. There is a couple of buildings in your area for sale that might work nicely. A real cooler compressor will run you about $1500.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Check out Alberta surplus sales. There is a couple of buildings in your area for sale that might work nicely. A real cooler compressor will run you about $1500.
I was lucky and found a slightly used unit for $600, it's run perfectly for the 7+ falls we have had it.

LC
Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I was lucky and found a slightly used unit for $600, it's run perfectly for the 7+ falls we have had it.

LC
That's a good deal. I was told cooler compressor out of a pop cooler works well.
If anyone has a need for a 3 ph cooler compressor pm me
Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM

WSS EDM South Common has a couple that I have not seen b4 ... price is 3700cdn ... one is running and would meat (pun intended) the criteria from everyone above ...
Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
bacteria danger zone is 40-140F so you ideally want to get the meat out of that temperature range as quickly as possible.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM

We did this last fall. Took two deep freezers up north with us in an enclosed. Plugged them in to get them cooled. We got a moose the first evening and did the gutless method on it and put the 1/4's in the freezer. We just maintained the temp by turning the freezer on and off. Worked awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
We put a deep freeze on a trailer and ran it with a generator. Have to let it cool by hanging in a tree the first night or else you will get nothing but moisture I'm the freezer
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Has anyone tried or seen the Koolabuck portable coolers I saw advertised on TV
Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM

You could also use one of these in a deepfreeze if you run it off the generator. If memory serves me correctly you plug the freezer into this, and then you plug this unit in, and set the temp. It will regulate the compressor on the freezer to keep it at the temp you set it at.
We used it to convert an old deepfreeze into a kegerator, worked great.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Johnson-C...AaAobJEALw_wcB
Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 AM

That looks perfect.... So you can plug a regular deep freeze and set the temp to say 35 and it will hold that temp and not harm the motor on the deep freeze??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
You could also use one of these in a deepfreeze if you run it off the generator. If memory serves me correctly you plug the freezer into this, and then you plug this unit in, and set the temp. It will regulate the compressor on the freezer to keep it at the temp you set it at.
We used it to convert an old deepfreeze into a kegerator, worked great.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Johnson-C...AaAobJEALw_wcB
Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 AM

Go to any appliance repair shop that sells supplies and get a thermal switch which is used on all industrial or commercial fridges and freezers and an anti freeze switch which goes on your compressor line just above the condenser ,
By replacing the main controller on the window shaker with the thermal it will allow you to set the temp below 40 which will actually freeze your system solid ,but by adding the anti freezing switch on the condenser line ,your system will start to freeze and thaw before the cooling lines freeze solid .
Hundreds cheaper and allows me to keep an 8X8 room at 38 degree ?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
That looks perfect.... So you can plug a regular deep freeze and set the temp to say 35 and it will hold that temp and not harm the motor on the deep freeze??
Yes .... this is the perfect way to go .... i used a chest freezer and this temp regulator ... add a small fan into the bottom to circulate air slowly, a few industrial absorbant pads to soak up blood, custom build a top out of insulated garage door panels and add in a custom made meat hanging rack ... works great ... we can put an entire elk into it!!!! transport on truck or trailer and run off your generator and you have a mobile meat cooler ... when you don't need it for cooling just remove the custom top and replace the lid with 8 screws and you're back to a freezer
Old 08-27-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
2x...
Old 08-27-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Portable Meat Cooler

Runs on a gene and can cool down to a degree. For sale for the right price lol. 16' enclosed trailer. Have fit up to 7 deer in it at a time and still could have put more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post
Has anyone tried or seen the Koolabuck portable coolers I saw advertised on TV

Wss south common has them on display I do belive you have to order them I tho
Old 08-27-2017, 08:27 PM

Default Cooler

The cool it works great.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
If you google "kegerator from chest freezer" you can see how simple the control systems are to install in a freezer/how they work
Old 09-02-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Runs on a gene and can cool down to a degree. For sale for the right price lol. 16' enclosed trailer. Have fit up to 7 deer in it at a time and still could have put more.

What are the rails that you used in the third picture and where did you get them?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:42 AM

Just a reg old freezer on a old fridge will work also. Just leave the freezer door open. The whole trailer will just cool down like its the freezer.
Know some old timers that built a cool in there garage doing this .
They did strip the the fridge down so they just used the guts.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak12 View Post
What are the rails that you used in the third picture and where did you get them?

It's called e trac. My hunting partner pulled them out of an old reefer van at work. We now have loop clips that can be installed anywhere along the tracking to add straps with ease.