Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 02:03 PM

Default What Bow Would You Buy??

Looking to buy my first bow. Money aside what would you guys get? What's the best place in Edmonton to pick one up and fit it for me?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:20 PM

If money is not an issue I would shoot as many flagship bows as you can

Bowtech Reign 6 and 7
Hoyt Pro and Carbon Defiant
Mathews Halon 32
Prime Centergy or Rize
PSE Carbon Air
Obsession (not up on this year's models)
Elite
Darton Maverick II (if you can find one)

I am sure there is others I missed. If you live near Edmonton, a visit to Accurate Archery and Jimbows will cover alot of these. If near Calgary, Jimbows, Calgary Archery Center and OK Archery in Airdrie will get you fairly covered in most brands.

No one can tell you what will feel good for you, you got to get out and shoot them all or as many as possible.

Good Luck
Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM

APA 34 TF with the new RDS cam
Old 01-01-2017, 04:00 PM

For the Edmonton area I think APA can be shot at T and T Archery in Sherwood Park
Old 01-01-2017, 04:02 PM

I shoot an Elite Impulse 31 and an Elite Synergy. I love Elite bows. I have owned Hoyts, Mathews, and Prime and Elite just does it for me. Very smooth draw, solid back wall and just very comfortable all around. JMO. As stated above shoot as many bows as you can as everybody has different likes when it comes to archery.

Good Luck,

Matt
Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM

If you're in Edmonton, go to Jimbow's; Sherwood Park has T & T Archery. Trophy Book Archery is in Spruce Grove and Accurate Archery is in Alberta Beach. Try ALL the bows you can. You'll know which one is right for you.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:11 PM

Like previously stated , goto jimbos talk with Carson and Dave and try every bow they have , don't get caught up in brand names or what your buddy shoots . All bows now a days are all equal and each bow fits everyone different so don't go choose a bow , let the bow choose you .

Mamba
Old 01-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Like previously stated , goto jimbos talk with Carson and Dave and try every bow they have , don't get caught up in brand names or what your buddy shoots . All bows now a days are all equal and each bow fits everyone different so don't go choose a bow , let the bow choose you .

Mamba
Exactly, shoot them all and you will find something that speaks to you.

LC
Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Exactly, shoot them all and you will find something that speaks to you.

LC

But if your in a hurry start with Hoyt and you'll save yourself time shooting the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
But if your in a hurry start with Hoyt and you'll save yourself time shooting the rest.

....But then all your Xmas money will be gone and you'll have to get a loan to get a bare bow

LC
Old 01-02-2017, 08:26 AM

I am in same position -- initially I was all in on Hoyts, then I started reading about Bears, PSE, Bowtech, Mathews, Prime, Elite, etc etc.

Next week just going to test a bunch out and not concentrate on brand.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
....But then all your Xmas money will be gone and you'll have to get a loan to get a bare bow

LC
But he said money aside, no need to even work about the Xmas money, not in this thread anyway.

I would buy either a new Carbon defiant Turbo or a Prevail 37 with SVX cams. I'm still un-decided......
Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 PM

What's wrong with saving as much as possible and going with a very decent, versatile bow like the infinite edge or the Cruzer?

Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post
What's wrong with saving as much as possible and going with a very decent, versatile bow like the infinite edge or the Cruzer?

I totally agree. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a capable bow. I picked up an infinite edge last spring. I practiced a lot. Ended up with a nice young 30" bull moose and a 170 gross whitetail buck. I have no doubt that I can harvest any Alberta big game animal with the bow. I will be using it again next year. That being said I would like to upgrade my sight from the 3 pin to a 5 pin, and arrow rest it was a little loud for my liking.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bluZebec View Post

There is nothing wrong with it, but the OP said money wasn't an issue. It would be like me asking "What sports car should I buy?" and you respond " a Toyota Tercel!" Fine automobile and very reliable but not quite what the OP was asking for.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM

^^^^thislol
Old 01-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
There is nothing wrong with it, but the OP said money wasn't an issue. It would be like me asking "What sports car should I buy?" and you respond " a Toyota Tercel!" Fine automobile and very reliable but not quite what the OP was asking for.
Hahahaha, exactly.

I would still buy a Bowtech something. Love em. Nice cheap sportscar, like a corvette. Not a Lambo but feels as cool when in your hands

But if you got loads of cash grab a Matthews Monster Safari, Macpherson series, bare bow is around $2600 Canadian.

I want one but too pricey.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:19 PM

If money was no problem, I would have a couple different bows in various brands. Set up for different applications. One for 3-d shoots, one for stand hunting, one for spot and stalk hunting, and maybe one for late season hunting (ie:carbon riser). But it'd probably just be one for 3-d and one for hunting. I'm partial to Hoyt's, but I checked out a few dartons online last night. Looked pretty nice, but they're still sporting the old school cable slides.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM

I would definitely check if the big sale is still on at wholesale sports. They had Bowtech carbon icons on for almost 50% off, about $500 and in store they came with a dozen free arrows! Easily the best deal I've seen/heard of in recent years!!
Old 01-04-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post
I would definitely check if the big sale is still on at wholesale sports. They had Bowtech carbon icons on for almost 50% off, about $500 and in store they came with a dozen free arrows! Easily the best deal I've seen/heard of in recent years!!
Wow thats cheap -- checked online...out of stock online and in my local stores but not on sale?

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...ackage/p/80342
Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon View Post
Wow thats cheap -- checked online...out of stock online and in my local stores but not on sale?

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...ackage/p/80342
Yeah, very cheap for sure. Maybe the sale is over now? I know they were out of stock online for a while but the wholesale sports on the north end of Edmonton had some left. I managed to snag a black one just before Christmas. They had no camo left.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post
Yeah, very cheap for sure. Maybe the sale is over now? I know they were out of stock online for a while but the wholesale sports on the north end of Edmonton had some left. I managed to snag a black one just before Christmas. They had no camo left.
Nice, I will take a look thanks.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb985 View Post
I shoot an Elite Impulse 31 and an Elite Synergy. I love Elite bows. I have owned Hoyts, Mathews, and Prime and Elite just does it for me. Very smooth draw, solid back wall and just very comfortable all around. JMO. As stated above shoot as many bows as you can as everybody has different likes when it comes to archery.

Good Luck,

Matt

X2 regarding Elite. The 2015 Synergy is my fourth and finest compound bow.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Hahahaha, exactly.

I would still buy a Bowtech something. Love em. Nice cheap sportscar, like a corvette. Not a Lambo but feels as cool when in your hands

But if you got loads of cash grab a Matthews Monster Safari, Macpherson series, bare bow is around $2600 Canadian.

I want one but too pricey.

I owned a Mathews Outback and it was a great rig, no complaints. Unfortunately
I once had the cable of a Matthews Monster demo break at the peak of the draw cycle right where the Y cable fastens to that ring. It happened at an indoor range. The arrow hit the floor and ended up behind the till. luckily nobody was hurt.