Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Are these guys serious? - Mayor, police chief want to cut supply of deadly weapons

Cheap knives big trouble
Mayor, police chief want to cut supply of deadly weapons

By RICHARD LIEBRECHT, SUN MEDIA

Edmontonians can buy big knives for the price of a burger and fries.

That has the city's mayor and police chief scratching their heads on how to cut the supply of the deadly weapons.

"It's ridiculous, the price and ease of availability," Mayor Stephen Mandel said yesterday.

Hunting knives are widely available at city retailers - including Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire - at quite low prices.

And one Edmonton wholesale outlet - Liquidation Station at 16137 132 Ave. - recently advertised a nearly nine-inch-long dagger for $9.99 on the front page of its flyer.

Mandel rolled his eyes when he saw the flyer.

OVERREACTED

Last month, Mandel called for regulations on knife sales in the city after a fatal stabbing. He later changed his mind, admitting he overreacted.

But Mandel said that he is still looking for ways to curb knife availability. He said a tax on knives is one possibility to consider.

Cheap knives, like the one in the Liquidation Station flyer, also had police Chief Mike Boyd shaking his head yesterday.

"A dagger like that, not a folding knife, clearly can be pulled out ... and be used to injure people," he said.

"People who carry these kinds of weapons are a threat to the safety of our city."

He said low prices may make the knives even more available to a wider variety of people.

"I think we need to look at where people are and if they should be in possession of a knife under those circumstances," said Boyd.

Coun. Amarjeet Sohi said he doesn't have anything against hunters who use knives - if they keep them locked up - but big knives on sale bother him.

"These are not kitchen knives," he said. "It's not a necessity."

KNIFE BAN

Mandel's knife ban was a good starting point for discussion, Sohi said, but he added that he, too, isn't sure about how to curb the problem.

The owner of the discount knife dealer laughed off the ban idea.

"No one took Mandel's idea seriously, did they?" said owner Eric Bischoff.

"There's no way to apply that law unless the city is willing to inspect all goods coming into the city."

He said he sees no ethical problem with selling knives at bargain prices because it's still a profitable product.

Bischoff said that there are no laws requiring him to judge his knife-buying customers, and he has never restricted sales to anyone 18 years of age or over.

"The problem lies in policing and societal problems, not a retailer selling a knife," he said.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Typical politician.... wanting to do something completely ineffective in order to appear to be doing something about a problem.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Those two belong in a home.

Ban knives.......

How about fixin' that pothole on 23 ave that I hit every day......and I only hit it because I forget its there, everyday. My memory is good, just short.

The chief has been nothing more than a "ribbon cutter" and a photo-op guy since he got here. If he was so great, why didn't Toronto keep him?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM

There are approximatey 100,000 Sikh's living in Alberta. The Supreme Court (Ontario) have ruled Sikh's there have the right to wear their Kirpan (ceremonial dagger) as part of thier religious beliefs. Not a big fan of that ruling but it is what it is.

Where the trouble comes is when the politicians consider changing the law for the majority while allowing the minority an exemption. This could be interesting if the govenment tries to limit the supply of knives to the general public while allowing certain religious sects to carry a 10" knife on their belt.

I believe that Canadian laws are Canadian laws and everybody or nobody is subject to them.

Last edited by ICE HOLE; 03-16-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE HOLE View Post

I believe that Canadian law is Canadian law and everybody or nobody is subject to them.
Amen to that man.

Long gun registry all over again, let's try punishing the people doing bad stuff instead of obviously ineffective bans or registries of perfectly legal items. What's next after knifes? Bats? Tire irons? Screwdrivers? Total waste of time and taxpayer money if you ask me.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Ban knives.......

How about fixin' that pothole on 23 ave that I hit every day......and I only hit it because I forget its there, everyday. My memory is good, just short.

The chief has been nothing more than a "ribbon cutter" and a photo-op guy since he got here. If he was so great, why didn't Toronto keep him?
You gotta wonder how much of a loser ya gotta be before even Toronto doesn't want you anymore. They still let the Leaf's play there for crying out loud!

Seriously though. When is the next municipal election coming. We can't get rid of these morons soon enough. Mike Nichol was the last voice of reason that sat on city council and he got voted out last election. Are smart people not voting anymore?? Makes me wonder what the hell is going on when it comes to voting.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM

I got a better Idea , Lets ban the idiots . ALL IN FAVOR ?????????????

Judgement , Granted ,
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post

Judgement , Granted ,
x2
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Stupid

These guys are in charge???

"People who carry these kinds of weapons are a threat to the safety of our city."

This from a top cop. Here's a solution.... Arrest them. Unbelievable!!!

"He said low prices may make the knives even more available to a wider variety of people."

So add a tax and then only the affluent criminals will be stabbing people. Problem solved. How can these people be so stupid and still dress themselves every day.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM

"But Mandel said that he is still looking for ways to curb knife availability. He said a tax on knives is one possibility to consider."

The politicians answer for everything......add another tax.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckay View Post
"But Mandel said that he is still looking for ways to curb knife availability. He said a tax on knives is one possibility to consider."

The politicians answer for everything......add another tax.
Typical politician. If in doubt, tax it Ban knives? An old hacksaw blade, a grinder and in 20 minutes I'll have a deadlier knife, than you can buy in a store.
Grizz
Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Angry Pepole kill pepole

F@#king Idots guns and knifes dont kill pepole its idtoes holding them last i look kitchen knifes kill to so we may as well ban them to how retared are they put them in straight jackets and lock them up as far as iam conserned we dont or are comeing very close to not live in freedoom like the politichons claim WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Just let us all carry handguns.....knife problem over

tm
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post

Judgement , Granted ,
I'd be banninated ferever!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Ban knives.......

As a civic employee, you should see the BS that we have to deal with from council and the mayor.It would blow your mind for sure!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
As a civic employee, you should see the BS that we have to deal with from council and the mayor.It would blow your mind for sure!
Oh I believe it , can't make a flippin move with the OK of the clown patrol.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE HOLE View Post
There are approximatey 100,000 Sikh's living in Alberta. The Supreme Court (Ontario) have ruled Sikh's there have the right to wear their Kirpan (ceremonial dagger) as part of thier religious beliefs.

This could be interesting if the govenment tries to limit the supply of knives to the general public while allowing certain religious sects to carry a 10" knife on their belt.

I believe that Canadian laws are Canadian laws and everybody or nobody is subject to them.

I altered your Quote Ice hole because it is a good one.

So what we as "canadian outdoors people" need to do is have "our" religious belief "outdoors enjoyiers" have a ruling pass by the goverment to also have the right to carry our hunting knives strapped to our belts. The ruling should state that knives can only be strapped on to belt in the months from January until December 31 of each year. as well all knives must be of a MINIMUM of 6' to a max of 2 ". And must have a razor sharpe edge.

Time for us to stand up and say we want to be heard!!!

AL
Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 AM

What would you rather be stabbed with a 6 inch hunting knife or a12 inch kitchen knife? If somone wants to stab you the bar probably has steak knives around for the thursday steak special. Stop giving the repeat offenders (which is who were talking about ) walks on their numerous assault beefs and ill bet the problem improves.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholal View Post
So what we as "canadian outdoors people" need to do is have "our" religious belief "outdoors enjoyiers" have a ruling pass by the goverment to also have the right to carry our hunting knives strapped to our belts.
I'm first in line if you're looking for Disciples Nicholal! First Order of Bush-Ape-Ionites, line up for your daily Jerky

I'm going to use an old quote I once saw:

Blaming knives (or guns) for killing people, is like blaming spoons for Rosie ODonnell being fat.

If we just enforce the current laws and punishments we have already, we wouldn't need new laws and taxes, and any other random stupidity our goverment comes up with. Someone commits a crime, they get the maximum sentence. PERIOD!!!!!