Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 PM

Question First Bow

i am wanting to get into bow hunting/archery. my draw length is 30'' and i am looking for 55 pounds of draw. what is a good starter bow kit that will not cost over $600.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 PM

tough call for 600bucks starter kit... what comes to mind would be bear instinct, element, PSE deer Hunter maybe a bowtec tomcat ... If you can spend and extra 150, i would suggest going to a dimond rapture, fully set up with 6 carbon arrows. Of course you can find some good deals from online stores aswell but i had a buddy that did that away and well ended taking the bow to a bow shop locally to get it properrly tuned and to his spesifications. Aswell as new arrows cut properly to his drawn length.

It also helps to find a store that will allow you to test shoot some bows, such as calgary archery center, lane archery (lethbridge), maybe jimbows (calgary)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM

i was considering either the PSE Nova SU or the PSE Stinger NI. how would those bows be?
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 PM

I brought the Diamond "Rock". from Lane archery this October. Came with everything, I only had to buy a release on top, plus their prices include GST. It was my first bow and I believe it was less than $600.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChallenger View Post
i was considering either the PSE Nova SU or the PSE Stinger NI. how would those bows be?
they were decent bows when they came out with them years ago but I believe that they are probably out dated somewhat My brother was selling diamond bows kitted out for under 500 dollars at his shop. unfort If i were you I would get a bow asap before the shops add the increase for this years prices. some of the bows that were selling for 800 bucks are now over 1000 dealer prices have went up 100-200 dollars depending on which bow make and model
Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 PM

I bought a Bowtech Polar Ice kit from the Calgary archery shop (off Peigan, I forget the name right now). The original kit was about $500 or so, but I upgraded the release and sights. This is my first bow, and so far I'm happy with it. It also came with a full quiver, (only four arrows). They also set me proper measurements and gave me a few pointers at their range. When I was good to go, they let me shoot until my arm was to sore to pull the release anymore! In my experience they have also had great customer service as well.

I tried out the PSE's in that price range as well, but I preferred the Bowtec.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:58 PM

Hmmm...its definatley not good to shoot until your that sore...messes with your form and accuracy.

Coyotechallenger, Maybe you should look for a decent used bow package, that way your not buying a package deal, which in my experience come with accesories that are second rate to say the least(especially with your set price range).

I have looked around and found a few decent ones, even in the buy/sell section here. I have a bow for sale (whole premium package) but its way off from your given specs.

But getting a used premium bow is a better way to go. But since your new to the sport dont take anyones info to heart! ask them if you can take it to a shop and have it looked over. Cracked limbs, ruined strings, other defects...they might not even know about...

In doing things this way you get a better grade product, your not sacrificing quality for money...

Good Luck
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.