Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
Now that's funny.

As for the OP. I may be misreading this but it sounds like your "ex" isn't an "ex" yet. You are still going through the proceedings. Does that mean her name is still on the title? If you haven't settled the divorce yet could it be the police have no reason to consider this stealing?

The possesion without a PAL is still aproblem. I would have thought that once the police were aware of illegal possesion they would be all too happy to go in and take the guns. However it may be a long time before you get them back.

Yes and No. Remember the question about her knowing the combination and having access?

So if this is a civil matter still before the courts, the police are not going to get involved or charge in relation to the taking or destroying of any common law property ie. house, cars, items from inside the house. So in this case maybe she is claiming that the safes and guns are part of the civil dispute.

Now the OP say she doesn't have the combination. How many of us here have wives without PAL's? Everytime you leave the house is your wife now in illegal possession of those guns?

The "public interest" comment probably refers to her criminal history or lack there of, and the likelihood of her using the firearms in a criminal offence which would endanger herself or the public. If there is no immediate risk present then the decision is probably to allow the civil proceedings to run their course before the courts without interference.

In no way am I agreeing with the "evil wife", just offering a rational as why the Police and Criminal Crown are reluctant to get involved.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 03-19-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Banned

i had the opposite. i had my safes in a mostly empty house and i still had to pay her money.

good luck we're all in this together. dont worry it gets better
Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 AM

I would be making a big fuss with my MP and my MLA, and with the media.The fact that the RCMP won't get involved doesn't surprise me. I have a friend whose wife actually sold his restricted firearms, without involving the CFC, or even keeping any records of who she sold them to, and the RCMP told him that they would not get involved because it was a civil manner. Since when is illegal firearms trafficking a civil manner?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-19-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:43 AM

What ever you do, keep a level head. Don't want the police thinking that you are unstable and them revoking your PAL.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 AM

Just be glad your PAL isn't up for renewal...or maybe it is, that's the point when they can really hose you because they "have a say" in whether you are fit to own firearms or not.

LC
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 AM

I'm curious.. how did she manage to carry out 3 safes loaded with guns? And how would she have loaded them? That seems like an awfully heavy load for a woman by herself....
Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Just be glad your PAL isn't up for renewal...or maybe it is, that's the point when they can really hose you because they "have a say" in whether you are fit to own firearms or not.

LC
Good point. Fighting with the ex.... Hmmmm this guy shouldn't have guns right now.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrupka View Post
I'm curious.. how did she manage to carry out 3 safes loaded with guns? And how would she have loaded them? That seems like an awfully heavy load for a woman by herself....
Who said by herself?

Default A couple of little details...

She must have proven residence to get the locksmith to open your door.
How in the heck did she get two loaded gun safes out of your house with out help and tools.
Are you leaving out some details?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Who said by herself?
I think we're just missing some details -- the way it was worded it sounded like it was her and the locksmith, and then after that the neighbor went over to check things out and the guns were all gone (which would be a massive undertaking being 3 full safes..) There was no mention of trucks pulling up, the neighbor watching people unload all the gear, etc.

I'm not saying he's a liar, I'm just trying to piece it all together in my head here.. seems like a very weird (and crappy) situation.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Banned

Report it to the media immediately telling them the RCMP said they didn't care about an unlicenced person having 40 guns to sell to anyone she wants.

You'll get attention.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM
Banned

Sounds like a cut and dried case of theft to me. And someone without a PAL, oh boy, I'd have a field day with that. I wouldn't bring public attention using the media with that...you know how they can twist a story. If the cops don't find interest, I'd speak with my MLA and maybe get the NFA involved.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Locksmith can't facilitate entry into premises without documented authorization from the owner. Might pursue it on that basis.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 03-19-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:09 AM

Some people are assuming that the OP is not telling the whole story because he mentioned "safes".The word "safe" can be misleading. The cheap light duty safes that some places sell are not heavy, and can easily be moved by one or two people.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhead View Post
Soooooo yesterday i get a call from my neighbour that my ex is at the house (she's been gone for a year and a half) with a locksmith. The neighbour sends me a pic so I phone the locksmith and tell him to leave and that I'm working out of town. After that I had the neighbour go over and check things out. Well she finds the lock has been cut off the garage and my three gun safes are gone ( one is the biggest Browning safe made). So I call the RCMP and report it with all the details that I have. They contact my ex and at first she denies taking any guns but then admits to it. So now the RCMP tell me that even though she doesn't have a PAL they can't charge her because the Crown Prosecuter says its not in the "public interest". 40 guns in the hands of someone without a licence and nothing they can do unless I can prove she has the combination. Simply fn amazing. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/image...s/sign0176.gif
But , she has a locksmith.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:13 AM

What she told the police is that she had a moving company come to move them. I know her boyfriend and that he is as lazy as a cut dog so it for sure wasn't him that moved them. Sure there's details missing as i'm 7 hours away from home but hopefully will be there this weekend.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 AM

A couple things the Police might consider or should be asking.

1. Does the ex now live with someone now that has a valid PAL or has she arranged for someone with a PAL to take possession of the firearms or buy them.

2. Was there any restricted firearms? Can't prove ownership but there are requirements on where the firearm must be stored. Also all restricted firearms would be associated to the OP's PAL and only he can request a storage location change or transfer/sale.

The OP stated that the "Crown" made the final decision on no charges. This means that the RCMP believed there was enough there to warrant a decision from Crown prior to charges being laid. The RCMP probably felt what was happening was wrong, but knew the "civl matter" screwed everything up investigation wise.

You are not going to find any group with more sympathy towards divorce situations and seperations..... look at the Police divorce rate and you will see alot of them have been through it several times.

If it was me I would be following up with Crown as in the end they have the final decision with regards to criminal matters before the courts, and the Police will take their direction from them

Good Luck
Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Sounds like a crappy situation... I would keep be emailing and calling up a storm to the RCMP.. that's ridiculous.

Wish you all the best.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM

Even if she had someone with a PAL she can't legally buy, sell or transfer a firearm. I have to say that the RC that i have been dealing with has been great but as others have said here she has property rights as the big D is not finalized just no right to have a gun.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM

Ya know we should start a crazy ex thread and the crazy things they do. Might inspire a few guys to make the effort to insure their marriage stays solid. LOL

Might be a good laugh as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhead View Post
Even if she had someone with a PAL she can't legally buy, sell or transfer a firearm. I have to say that the RC that i have been dealing with has been great but as others have said here she has property rights as the big D is not finalized just no right to have a gun.
Can't you request that a third party store the guns until the bid D is finalized?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
A couple things the Police might consider or should be asking.

1. Does the ex now live with someone now that has a valid PAL or has she arranged for someone with a PAL to take possession of the firearms or buy them.

2. Was there any restricted firearms? Can't prove ownership but there are requirements on where the firearm must be stored. Also all restricted firearms would be associated to the OP's PAL and only he can request a storage location change or transfer/sale.

The OP stated that the "Crown" made the final decision on no charges. This means that the RCMP believed there was enough there to warrant a decision from Crown prior to charges being laid. The RCMP probably felt what was happening was wrong, but knew the "civl matter" screwed everything up investigation wise.

You are not going to find any group with more sympathy towards divorce situations and seperations..... look at the Police divorce rate and you will see alot of them have been through it several times.

If it was me I would be following up with Crown as in the end they have the final decision with regards to criminal matters before the courts, and the Police will take their direction from them

Good Luck
The prosecutor makes his decision on what information is provided to him by the RCMP , so the RCMP can influence the prosectors decision.As well, unless you actually talk to the prosector, it may be a case of the RCMP telling you that it is his choice not to pursue charges, when it might be a case of the RCMP simply not wanting to deal with the situation. In some cases, the prosecutor my not even be aware of the situation, let alone all of the details. Reading the OP's original post, he stated that the RCMP told him that the prosecutor would not pursue charges.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 AM

I'll bet if you went and took them back, the Feds would get involved....

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM

Definitely a possibility so he should still talk to Crown to get it directly from them.

But my point was that because the RCMP involved or forwarded the file to Crown for a decision on charges, they must of felt something was potential illegal and wanted Crown to decide whether they moved forward. Now if the Police lied to Crown or the OP about the facts or investigation then that's a different story, but I don't know what causng you to assume that.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
So someone broke into your home and stole 3 safes full of guns and the RCMP won't get involved?
Ya there is more to this story....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I'll bet if you went and took them back, the Feds would get involved....
Yes, if the OP enters the ex's new residence that has nothing to do with the 'civil dispute' or prior relationsip, then yes the OP could be facing break and enter charges.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM

basically everything brendan's dad said.....all other ideas are for not
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM

You can lay private information in the prosecutor's office. You might also want to put in a call to the Ministry of Public Safety, telling them that there's a safety risk, and the RCMP is doing nothing about it. Phone the CFC complaining that someone without a PAL/RPAL removed guns from your home without your permission. If the RCMP talked to the Prosecutor, there are things that can be done as well...

Is the wife's name still on the house??
Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Definitely a possibility so he should still talk to Crown to get it directly from them.

But my point was that because the RCMP involved or forwarded the file to Crown for a decision on charges, they must of felt something was potential illegal and wanted Crown to decide whether they moved forward. Now if the Police lied to Crown or the OP about the facts or investigation then that's a different story, but I don't know what causng you to assume that.
If the RCMP didn't want to get involved, they mat not have even sent a report to the prosecutor. As to them lying, I can think of a recent case where an officer was convicted of perjury, so the RCMP certainly isn't above lying.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
Wouldn't that be break and enter and theft over $5000 or whatever the amount is now?just because she lived there 1 1/2 years ago shouldn't make it OK.
Forget the guns for a second, theft is theft. The Rcmp should be going over and getting your stuff back.

Last edited by Sooner; 03-19-2015 at 10:26 AM.