Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Default When is not asking for directions career limiting?

When you are a pilot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25715186
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Which is kind of strange because these planes pretty much fly themselves with little input from the pilot. He plugs in the destination and sits back and monitors systems. I was surprised when a WJ pilot told me that when sitting next to me and the wife between Calgary and TO. I got to play 100 questions.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Watch these guys. Hope I found the right video, but basically they're just along for the ride.

http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding/

Grizz
Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Cool video.
There is not even much pilot input during the landing either.

I saw an A380 in Houston last spring. When we took off the plane overflow the field and you could see it next to a 747. That plane is huge.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Banned

Common sense?Not so common.
You would think they would notice that it ain`t a big airport like the one they were aiming for.Jees,ground them and take away their drivers license too.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Which is kind of strange because these planes pretty much fly themselves with little input from the pilot. He plugs in the destination and sits back and monitors systems. I was surprised when a WJ pilot told me that when sitting next to me and the wife between Calgary and TO. I got to play 100 questions.
I think, the WJ Jock (or Jocket) was being a little cavalier with the explanation, just a little bit more than that to it.........
Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM

So I was wondering last week what a commercial pilot would earn in a year.
Could be passenger or parcel.
Any ideas?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Watch these guys. Hope I found the right video, but basically they're just along for the ride.

Grizz
Not quite Griz, Garbage in, garbage out can still get you killed. Could you tell how many communication mistakes were made between the A/C and ATC ? Obviously a senior crew (newbies dont get to fly the big ones for a while) along with a check pilot/cruise pilot in the jump seat interjecting info and there was still some crap going on. I did not watch the whole thing so I'm not sure if they did an ils, b/c ils or a visual approach but if they did do the visual, the pilots were landing the aircraft not the aircraft doing it via buttons. RWM or Doe Tracks could probably do a good critique. Interesting video!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
So I was wondering last week what a commercial pilot would earn in a year.
Could be passenger or parcel.
Any ideas?
Depends what your flying and who your flying for. Some guys make hundreds of thousands flying 747's for air china.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Depends what your flying and who your flying for. Some guys make hundreds of thousands flying 747's for air china.
no actual experience necessary !! just say you have XXXXXX hours experience logged on................... Microsoft flight simulator
Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Banned

Most large commercial aircraft have an FMS system installed. This Flight Management System is a computer that the crew enter the flight information into. This will be the start destination, the final destination, and often the waypoints in between. It will also include the amount of fuel, passenger loads, and cargo. The crews get this from their flight plan. If this is incorrectly entered, or is wrong to begin with, then they end up at the wrong airport.

The FMS is like a GPS, but is also tied to the other aircraft systems used for navigation, autopilot, auto throttle, auto brake, and radio altimeter. Most aircraft have 2 of each computers for each system, and all must work for the system to function, as they compare the inputs from each computer to ensure that there are no discrepancies.

The FMS has a database installed from the manufacturer that has all the data of the aircraft, and every month a new navigation data base is installed. If the aircraft is modified with different engines or equipment, then the database must also be updated. This computer is able to compute the best flight path for the aircraft given the conditions to ensure best economy, based on the loads of the aircraft. The system will not arm until certain parameters are met first, such as 30kts forward airspeed, flaps set, trim set, and aircraft lined up on the runway. The aircraft gets this information from the airport navigation equipment and from the aircraft instruments. If the system is armed, and the parameters met, then the aircraft will advance the throttles to the proper level for take off, then it will rotate the aircraft to proper climb angle and fly the aircraft. The crew will then need to retract the flaps and landing gear, and the aircraft continues to fly the aircraft by reducing power to climb and then cruise power. It will fly the set route, and then start decent. The crew then need configure the aircraft to land by setting the flaps and landing gear, and the aircraft will take the aircraft down to land. It will control the aircraft by lowering power, setting the aircraft into a flair, and then applying the brakes and spoilers to slow down the aircraft to a speed where the crew then takes over again and taxis back to the gate to offload the passengers.

Not all airports are capable to communicate with the aircraft for autoland, and not all companies use this feature all the time. It is used often for poor weather conditions. The main instruments used are ILS (instrument landing system)and Glideslope, as well as marker beacons and DME (distance measuring equipment).

Airports are rated depending on navigation equipment installed. The more equipment the higher the level of automation and the worse the conditions aircraft can land in. They are designated as CAT I, CAT II, and CAT III, meaning how close to the runway they can bring the aircraft in for landing or decision height. Most large airports are either CAT II or CAT III standard now. CAT I will take an aircraft down to 200ft above the runway, CAT II to 100ft, and CAT III is further divided into 3 levels of A,B, and C. C will take you down to the runway.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Not quite Griz, Garbage in, garbage out can still get you killed. Could you tell how many communication mistakes were made between the A/C and ATC ? Obviously a senior crew (newbies dont get to fly the big ones for a while) along with a check pilot/cruise pilot in the jump seat interjecting info and there was still some crap going on. I did not watch the whole thing so I'm not sure if they did an ils, b/c ils or a visual approach but if they did do the visual, the pilots were landing the aircraft not the aircraft doing it via buttons. RWM or Doe Tracks could probably do a good critique. Interesting video!
They were switched from VFR on 28L to IFR on 28R.