Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Default Ariel Sharon Dies

He's really been dead for the past 8 years - anyways - I'm sure he's now living in a much warmer place instead of being connected up to the cold life support machines.
RIP brave soldier.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 PM

Everybody who said good riddance to Nelson Mandela now say the same about Ariel Sharon?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Everybody who said good riddance to Nelson Mandela now say the same about Ariel Sharon?
Little more sympathy for Sharon, you've got to have an iron fist to survive in that part of the world, if you're Jewish and a democracy, but for all intents he did die 8 years ago. Betting it was just his status that kept them from pulling the plug.

Grizz
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Little more sympathy for Sharon, you've got to have an iron fist to survive in that part of the world, if you're Jewish and a democracy, but for all intents he did die 8 years ago. Betting it was just his status that kept them from pulling the plug.

Grizz
Yup, one wonders if the lefties would change their tune if Canadian towns were rocketed on a regular basis.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:22 PM

1 00 % agree
Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
Yup, one wonders if the lefties would change their tune if Canadian towns were rocketed on a regular basis.
Or if they were only allowed to hold certain jobs and be in certain parts of town.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 PM

Like him or not, Sharon had quite the life ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Sharon

Mac
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that sharon massacerd people in a refugee camp.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM

Hero or Tyrant .........? ......depends on who is writing the obituary.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Hero or Tyrant .........? ......depends on who is writing the obituary.
Actually, I haven't read about anyone calling him a hero or tyrant.
He was a major figure in the history of the region and even his enemies held a certain amount of respect for him.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 AM

He was a hell of a tank commander in the 1967 war ...

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
He was a hell of a tank commander in the 1967 war ...
You beat me to it......

One heck of a little army.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

So American taxpayers kept him alive for 8 years? Lol, funny how history changes depending on who writes it down.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Or if they were only allowed to hold certain jobs and be in certain parts of town.
Or had their homes occupied.

Or had 100% retaliation for an act defiance.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 marlin View Post
What I read about it was that he stood by and let another group carry out the massacre.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Banned

Oh Oh:

Maybe this guy was not so good.

I better go sit on the fence on this one.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Banned

Not sure I would group Sharon with some of the other Israeli leadership who systematically keep the Palestinians downtrodden.

He may have done things that he may need to answer for, but I don't think he was an evil man.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 marlin View Post
That's nothin! I heard he ate little babies for breakfast
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Sabra and Shatila massacre

In 1983, a UN commission chaired by Sean MacBride concluded that Israel bore responsibility for the violence because they failed to prevent it. In 1983, the Israeli Kahan Commission, appointed to investigate the incident, found that Israeli military personnel, aware that a massacre was in progress, had failed to take serious steps to stop it. Thus Israel was indirectly responsible, while Ariel Sharon, then Defense Minister, bore personal responsibility "for ignoring the danger of bloodshed and revenge", forcing him to resign.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
That's nothin! I heard he ate little babies for breakfast
Really, did he cook them or eat them raw?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
In 1983, a UN commission chaired by Sean MacBride concluded that Israel bore responsibility for the violence because they failed to prevent it. In 1983, the Israeli Kahan Commission, appointed to investigate the incident, found that Israeli military personnel, aware that a massacre was in progress, had failed to take serious steps to stop it. Thus Israel was indirectly responsible, while Ariel Sharon, then Defense Minister, bore personal responsibility "for ignoring the danger of bloodshed and revenge", forcing him to resign.
Ah, the UN. Not an overly objective organization. More of a moribund joke in this day and age. Personally, I would not take any UN finding as the objective truth.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ah, the UN. Not an overly objective organization. More of a moribund joke in this day and age. Personally, I would not take any UN finding as the objective truth.
Not all of the UN is incompetent and full of crap. Trust me, I work for them, and can assure you that there are many good people working unpleasant jobs.

I will agree that the top end of the UN is all smoke and mirrors.

Before you go and dismiss the report, you may want to read more about it.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Not all of the UN is incompetent and full of crap. Trust me, I work for them, and can assure you that there are many good people working unpleasant jobs.

I will agree that the top end of the UN is all smoke and mirrors.

Before you go and dismiss the report, you may want to read more about it.
When the battle is an existential one, the only unforgivable sin is defeat. Most Canadians of this day and age don't possess the frame of reference needed to judge the Israelis in an objective and fair way. Instead they are bombarded with biased bs from the MSM and the UN.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
When the battle is an existential one, the only unforgivable sin is defeat. Most Canadians of this day and age don't possess the frame of reference needed to judge the Israelis in an objective and fair way. Instead they are bombarded with biased bs from the MSM and the UN.
Perhaps that is your opinion. I see little in the way of the MSN trying to hold Israel accountable for their actions against the average Palestinians. And this is in direct contravention of the many UN resolutions on the rights of the Palestinians, as well as open condemnation from more UN resolutions and many EU nations for the occupation of Palestinian lands.

Israel has systematically removed rights and prevented the Palestinians a right to live in their home lands. They have been subjected to arrest for nothing other than being Palestinian, and they have had their homes occupied without compensation. And now they are being surrounded by a wall which is akin to w ghetto. Sounds pretty much like what the Nazis did to the Jews in the 1930s.

I do have sympathy for those innocent people on both sides who have been killed in this ongoing war. However I think you need to do some more reading on the subject before you speak about bias.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
When you're on the winning team - you become a national hero to some.
If you're on the losing team - you're automatically a war criminal.
Many Israelis with an "objective frame of reference" don't consider Sharon as as one of the good guys.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
What I read about it was that he stood by and let another group carry out the massacre.
I thought I heard about him doing that,The whole bunch of those guys at one time were terrorists.what was the guy with the eye patch?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Perhaps that is your opinion. I see little in the way of the MSN trying to hold Israel accountable for their actions against the average Palestinians. And this is in direct contravention of the many UN resolutions on the rights of the Palestinians, as well as open condemnation from more UN resolutions and many EU nations for the occupation of Palestinian lands.

Israel has systematically removed rights and prevented the Palestinians a right to live in their home lands. They have been subjected to arrest for nothing other than being Palestinian, and they have had their homes occupied without compensation. And now they are being surrounded by a wall which is akin to w ghetto. Sounds pretty much like what the Nazis did to the Jews in the 1930s.

I do have sympathy for those innocent people on both sides who have been killed in this ongoing war. However I think you need to do some more reading on the subject before you speak about bias.
If a, "marginalized" group in Canada started a significant terror campaign against civilians, how long do you think it would be till the gloves came off? I'm thinking it would not be too damned long. Didn't take Trudeau long to say, "just watch me", did it?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
If a, "marginalized" group in Canada started a significant terror campaign against civilians, how long do you think it would be till the gloves came off? I'm thinking it would not be too damned long. Didn't take Trudeau long to say, "just watch me", did it?
We are not talking about Canada here, and there is no comparison to the plight of the Palestinians and to the FLQ.

It seems you have a very limited understanding of the conflict.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
We are not talking about Canada here, and there is no comparison to the plight of the Palestinians and to the FLQ.

It seems you have a very limited understanding of the conflict.
In your opinion maybe.

The simple fact is, that if getting on a city bus, or going out for pizza, brings significant risk of violent death to civilians, the government ( any government ) will be compelled to take serious action against the threat.

If you choose to ignore this fact, then enjoy your ignorant bliss.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I think unless you live in these countries or at least actually spend some time on the ground there, the Canadian opinion is shaped by the media. and the shape it takes depends on who controls the media.

I spent a month in South Africa and found that what I thought was the reality was not even close. I'm by no means an expert, but I do know what I saw.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand