Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I had a similar experience. The difference in this case was I had an antlerless mule deer tag and ended up shooting an antlered mule deer with horns hidden by the ears.

I had a brand new hunter with me. 14 years old. I made the decision to turn myself in. I got a $150 fine but was able to keep my antlerless tag and continue hunting with the novice. My deer was confiscated. I shot another one later. This one legal.

The important point was that my novice hunter ultimately did get his deer that day despite me screwing up. He learned some valuable lessons about honesty and conservation.

I experienced a penalty – as I should have – but admitting to the mistake lessened the penalty and did not jeopardize my hunting privileges.

I honestly don't know if I would've made the same decision had I been alone.
Good on you for what you did.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
so what you are saying it is ok to break the law? That is a antlered wt not a antlerless animal. you are crazy for posting that on here. I bet your phone rings from the fish cops in the near future.
sorry your so offended 69. i never said that is ok to break the law. was only sharing an expieriance that occured and trying to illustrate how a hunter could screw up without meaning to. perhaps another hunter who reads this might look harder before pulling the trigger, though in this case you could have looked a long time and still fired.

On the other hand i suppose your right and the smart thing to do was never post this so others might not learn from my mistake and perhaps make the same mistake themselfs.

or maybe i made it all up and this is just a dream within a dream.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
sorry your so offended 69. i never said that is ok to break the law. was only sharing an expieriance that occured and trying to illustrate how a hunter could screw up without meaning to. perhaps another hunter who reads this might look harder before pulling the trigger, though in this case you could have looked a long time and still fired.

On the other hand i suppose your right and the smart thing to do was never post this so others might not learn from my mistake and perhaps make the same mistake themselfs.

Good try. You poach a deer and admit it. Now you want to lie about it. Good luck with the co.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
I thought you had to use your general first before your supplemental. This is what I was told from a F&W and that is the reason why they are called supplemental. I dont buy the tags as I only need 1 anyways but he also said supplementals had to be used in different zones as well. This was a couple years ago, maybe things changed or he has it wrong?
This what I always thought too!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I think he did the hunting community more service by sharing the lesson in his mistake, than by keeping it quiet and not posting.

I could see this HONEST MISTAKE being made by most of us, and its a great reminder to be careful.
Well said. A good plan might be to hunt for does first that way if this ever happens again, you have your antlered tag available to use....although this might further confused the OP's question.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post

People make mistakes. That looks like an honest one for sure. I wish posters would get off the backs of those brave enough to share true stories in hopes it may help another fellow hunter.

You likely did that deer a favour...lol