Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Default fake deer encounter.

after being skunked on his mulie buck this year in the okanogan (zone 8?) my friends son was out looking for a moose on nov. 11 (mulies ended nov. 10). saw a monster 4 point mulie on the edge of a field close to the road. my friends son was very excited (and tempted) but he did the right thing and resisted the temptation to go with the "shot it the evening before" story. did get out of vehicle with his camera and approached the big mulie. thats when 2 conservation officers came out of the bush for standard talk and inspection. friends son say's that mulie was totally lifelike and head would turn now and then.
very good thing he did'nt fire at this "replica" or he'd have had a whole new thing to remember on nov.11.
heard a very similar story last year where a hunter was "stung" by hinton with a fake elk.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

I had a similar encounter on Manitoulan Island, ON back in the early '90's. A nice big WT buck out in a field. We stopped the truck and watched it for a minute. Although it looked very realistic its head movements seemed strange for some reason. When we drove off and around the corner there were the F&W Officers set up. I can definitely see where someone would get tricked if they saw it and jumped out of the truck to shoot it......and rightfully so for catching people like that.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Nothing like entrapment...would be way funny if some FNs blew them full of holes...
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Nothing like entrapment...would be way funny if some FNs blew them full of holes...
It wouldn't matter who did it, they could get charged with a variety of offences depending on when/where the decoy was. Shooting from a maintained roadway, trespassing, shooting too close to an occupied building, hunting before/after legal hunting hours...............
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
like throwing an 8 ball of crack on the sidewalk in the slums and hiding behind the dumpster? lol.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
like throwing an 8 ball of crack on the sidewalk in the slums and hiding behind the dumpster? lol.
Exactly. Aren't there enough people committing infractions without having to tempt people?? It's just a lazy way to write more tickets.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM

Its not entrapment.

Entrapment is "when a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit an offense that the person would have otherwise unlikely committed."
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Its not entrapment.

Entrapment is "when a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit an offense that the person would have otherwise unlikely committed."
Yup, if you'll blast away at a fake deer from the road, you'll blast away at real one.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 PM

As much as some would like to call it entrapment. I think its a great idea. How often does a F&W officer have a good chance to be right beside a live trophy when someone poaches it?

This is my third year hunting.I've put MILES on this year alone, 5 weeks straight of hunting.
Seen plenty of people driving up and down roads all day when there's private land on both sides.and some after hours field driving when I'm driving back to my residence.

Nice to know poachers are dumb enough to fall into their traps.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Its not entrapment.

Is that right? Then why do the fake deer/moose and elk all have trophy grade racks?? Perhaps to 'induce a person to commit an offense that the person would normally be unlikely to commit'??

Put a decoy spike buck out there and I'd go along with your take on it, otherwise they are deliberately entrapping people by putting temptation right in front of them.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Is that right? Then why do the fake deer/moose and elk all have trophy grade racks?? Perhaps to 'induce a person to commit an offense that the person would normally be unlikely to commit'??

Put a decoy spike buck out there and I'd go along with your take on it, otherwise they are deliberately entrapping people by putting temptation right in front of them.
I'd say it's right. If you're going to shoot at a fake trophy animal, you're going to try it on a real one. The real hunters out there that abide by the law while hunting will look at it with binos, take a picture, but not shoot. It is a good way to weed out some of the dumb@$$es out there that figure if they can drive fast enough it's ok to do it.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:

The whitetail one I saw, was no bigger than a 140-50 class buck. Hardly a " trophy " in that zone... and on private land.

You sound like your bitter, because you've been fooled by robo deer once or twice...lol

It's hardly entrapment, The CO's say they usually put them in place where people shouldn't be hunting any way. It's no more entrapment, than Banff national park animals....
Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

It's hardly entrapment, The CO's say they usually put them in place where people shouldn't be hunting any way. It's no more entrapment, than Banff national park animals....
Exactly
Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Maybe they should put a herd of them on Terry Raymonds road allowance?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Then why do the fake deer/moose and elk all have trophy grade racks??
The one that I saw had just a normal, everyday, regular sized rack.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The one that I shot had just a normal, everyday, regular sized rack.
were you charged?

joking.
seen one in the back of a c o truck.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Maybe they should put a herd of them on Terry Raymonds road allowance?
At least with a robo deer, there's zero chance to chase it across the fence.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:

give me a break. Theres temptation everywhere in society on daily basis. If you get duped into shooting an illegal deer regardless as to whether it was extremely tempting and so forth you deserve a flaming and charges. Not our faults if your a simple minded pylon that cant control his/her urges.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 PM

This is AWESOME!

This is exactly what SRD should be doing with resources. I'd absolutely love to give them more money to do this as much as possible. Would absolutely solve a TON of problems. Game management problems, land access issue problems, social image of hunter problems. Just brilliant, get all those *******s out of the field, and we'll all benefit from it.

Applause to SRD.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Wow. Lot of poachers in here, or at least a lot of sympathy for poachers in here.

Actually, reading it... just one... posting a lot of times.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:43 PM

About a week before thanksgiving my wife and I where on our way back home from a after noon of hunting trying to find her a moose to fill her draw tag and about 2km before we got to the hwy she let out a yell that there was a giant bull moose standing at the back of a borrow pit along the road .so I backed up and sure as **** there was a large bull standing along the bush line in the shade .so she got out and loaded her rifle and worked her way to the bush line and took aim and fired as I was just getting my binos up to see where she hit it did not wiggle and then I could tell that she had just shot a decoy . I shouted at her not to shoot again and if looks could kill hers would have then we bursted out laughing as all hell broke loose lights flash and dust two f&w officers got out and checked the rifle and asked what we had done I said not me my wife just shot your decoy they must have thought we where nuts we where laughing so hard I said she shot not me and that she was off of the road right of way they said we know who shot and from where .they then took us down to the next road crossing and checked out our licence and gave the rifle back and our papers and wished my wife luck in finding her bull moose .I like to mention the f&w officers treated us very well from the start to finish .and about a week latter my wife shot her self a nice 40 inche plus bull .
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM

So hers's some food for thought. What if someone shot at it or any fake deer for that matter and they told the officers they knew it was fake. I've seen some of those old Game Warden videos where a guys shoots like 10 rounds at a mechanical deer and its still standing and the shooter is floored as to why its not going down. If the Co's showed up right away wouldn't you figure it out? Now personally I would never shoot at anything I wasn't supposed because I value my hunting privileges very highly and might as well die if I couldn't do it but it always struck my as odd that they (the dumb asses) wouldn't figure it out that it was fake. I guess if they are dumb enough to take the risk they get what they deserve, entrapment or not.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM

I think this is perfect and wish it was done more often!!!
As discussed in another thread of mine to be charged someone needs to be caught red handed by a CO and the two hardest to enforce and most common doing is shooting from the road or vehicle.
Most of the time the CO will have video surveillance. No way to fight that!!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 PM

It does give the co's the right to stop and search you with reasonable cause with out having to ask if your hunting. Even if the decoy is placed in an area that is totally legal hunting and you have valid tags.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
So hers's some food for thought. What if someone shot at it or any fake deer for that matter and they told the officers they knew it was fake. I've seen some of those old Game Warden videos where a guys shoots like 10 rounds at a mechanical deer and its still standing and the shooter is floored as to why its not going down. If the Co's showed up right away wouldn't you figure it out? Now personally I would never shoot at anything I wasn't supposed because I value my hunting privileges very highly and might as well die if I couldn't do it but it always struck my as odd that they (the dumb asses) wouldn't figure it out that it was fake. I guess if they are dumb enough to take the risk they get what they deserve, entrapment or not.

This defense will not work.

From the Wildlife Act.

"(6) Where

(a) a person has the intent to hunt, and believes or appears to believe that the person is hunting,

(b) what the person is purporting to hunt is actually a representation of a wildlife animal that has been set out by a wildlife officer or wildlife guardian, and

(c) having regard to the time when, the location where and any other relevant circumstances under which the activity takes place, the activity would, if that representation were a real wildlife animal of the kind represented, constitute an act of hunting that would be an offence against a hunting provision of this Act,

then the person is deemed for the purposes of this Act to be hunting such a wildlife animal and is guilty of an offence against that provision."
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM

I've seen a F&W decoy up close. It was basically home made by the officers. It was the ugliest thing. But amazingly full of holes from itchy trigger fingers.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Il have to buy the next srd officer i meet a coffee ////
Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Doesn't matter if it's a spike buck or a 190 class! poaching is poaching no matter how much the temptation, so if they get fooled and caught GOOD
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
Wow. Lot of poachers in here, or at least a lot of sympathy for poachers in here.

Actually, reading it... just one... posting a lot of times.
Lol well said
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Saw a fake doe a few years ago, anyone with half a brain would be able to tell the difference. But I guess poachers are no different than criminals, lazy and stupid!