Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Default bull moose in 510, big problemoo

Where do I find the bull moose in 510, been out a bunch of times and only seem to find 3 cow moose, and hints or pointers would be greatly appriciated!!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM

The reason you are not seeing any bulls is because of the abundance of tags given out in that zone. 300 bull tags and 300 calf tags. SRD did a fly over there 3 years ago through their infamous wisdom gave tags to guys with priority 2 instead of 4 like it use to be.. thank our biologists for opening this zone up and killing lots of moose . just my thoughts.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM

hope to not discourage you , but its pretty tough to find a Nov bull after the first week , lots of tags ......... if it gets real cold they may come out to the alfalfa fields. I live in 510 and we ate a bull tag last year cuz we couldn't find a bull for my daughter.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Default Unhorny

Seen them lay very low and deep for weeks recovering
Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM

I have seen piles of cows and calves this year as well but zero bulls best bet hit the thick crown.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM

Lots of native camps up their year round taking moose! I have bow hunted their in the past but do not any more cuz all I hear in the rut is gun shots from natives! Went past a camp once had over a dozon hanging!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 PM

Default same thing in 524

the exact same thing is happening in 524
this area use to be awesome, but between the early season and the late season, well over 700 tags per year for Bulls since the draw has been implemented (99)
and the zone is hunted out
Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 PM

pm me I saw one today.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Lots of native camps up their year round taking moose! I have bow hunted their in the past but do not any more cuz all I hear in the rut is gun shots from natives! Went past a camp once had over a dozon hanging!
No s**t

Where about?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=graymatter;2204878]the exact same thing is happening in 524
this area use to be awesome, but between the early season and the late season, well over 700 tags per year for Bulls since the draw has .

My bad wrong post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Same issue we used to have in 505, up around Flatbush/Hondo. They would set up with 48' Reffers and fill them up. Wouldn't be so bad if it was spread out, they'd just clean the area out of Elk and Moose.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Default Too many tags

Yes too many tags issued. But full of crap about the natives cleaning it out. get out of your truck.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
Yes too many tags issued. But full of crap about the natives cleaning it out. get out of your truck.
I do get out of the truck...errr car. Cover a great deal of ground in the bush and know people in the area. Also know of refrigeration trucks in native hunting camps and hunting with helicopters in the area. Not saying the helicopter was natives, but either way it was over-harvesting too (and unfortunately, only in this case illegal). With the number of game natives do take, something has got to give. Either they take less, or goodbye to reasonable game numbers.

Not trying to turn this into another one of those threads, but you sure seem easily offended by one person's observation. Did you read the thread about the fellow hunting in Saskatchewan and coming across the camp of native hunters? About 1000 animals taken. Wtf do people need that many animals for? That can feed like 4000 for the year. I don't care who it is, people being stupid about how much they harvest (especially in one concentrated area) is detrimental to all of us. We still don't have a cod fishery on the east coast. Our salmon populations on the west coast are struggling. Check out "The End of the Line" documentary. Pretty sure it is still on netflix. Our oceans are being ravaged beyond imagination and we are so far removed from the daily destruction. The difference there is we don't really see the ocean or the fish. Here we can see the big game and notice the difference. Used to be able to get 2 or 3 general tags for moose...I wonder why we need draws now??? Why have the walleye struggled in Alberta? Perhaps the recorded harvests from the 80s give us insight? Not going to search for it now, but some years there were about 1.5 million walleye taken in Alberta alone.
People need to quit getting offended and quit attacking groups of people. It has to be about a plan to restore and maintain populations. The way some people hunt (native or not) would make the natives who lived off this land roll over in their grave and cry themselves to a second death. If our approach to solving the problem is ignoring it or excusing those in the wrong because of rights or misuse of rights (native or not), we will ALL SUFFER!

It would be great if we could all enjoy hunting as much as we want, but it isn't about wants. I sure am concerned about how much change happened in one generation from my dad hunting and fishing to what I am experiencing. I'd love for it to be better for my kids, but I do not hold out hope when I look at how things are going.

Any plan carried out with selfishness and greed will not be successful.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
. Did you read the thread about the fellow hunting in Saskatchewan and coming across the camp of native hunters? About 1000 animals taken. Wtf do people need that many animals for? That can feed like 4000 for the year.
Our family of 4 (kidz 7 & 10) have no problem going through 2 moose and a mtn caribou a year. We would go through 3 or 4 caribou and a moose or two a year easily when we could hunt barrenground up here. We still buy bacon and chicken. A community of 250 would go through 1000 deer/caribou sized game no problem in a year.

I do hear/feel your pain tho. It ain't fun to be witness to.....even harder to comprehend with all the hoops we have to jump through and adhere to.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM

That much meat begs to question how balanced the diet is. I eat meat daily (allergic to eggs), and maybe beyond recommended correct healthy proportion and still couldn't come close to that.
1 lb red meat per day (excessive) x 4 people x 365 days = 1460 lbs.
Offset that number with eggs, poultry, pork, fish, beans, nuts, whatever else.... I still say wtf do people need 1000 animals harvested for? Especially if it is concentrated in an area like that. If they can hunt all year, that area won't provide that much game for long whether that is the only hunt per year or not.

I am not asking you to feel my pain. Never said it was painful either...just saying people need to think and work together. No solution made by one "side" is going to the right one.

I am asking that people put their own selfishness aside. I pay taxes and live healthy. People who choose to smoke, drink excessively, eat sugar excessively, make whatever else decision that requires excessive medical bills at some point in life use money from those taxes. The number of people requiring that tax money is growing rapidly, especially as those (healthy or not) are aging. The tax base is not going to keep up.
Now factor in a specified group of people that also receive from this tax money. Their population is growing at a faster rate, they have elevated occurrences of issues (I neglect to name because what the issue is, is not the point), they are not receiving enough adequate/meaningful education (not their fault, but it is everyone's problem including their own)...and so on... They also happen to be a people group that has been mistreated and some people are prejudiced towards. They also happen to be a people group that some of them are prejudiced towards others....so long as we keep focusing on the prejudice/racist argument, the problems will not go away.

I have not complained about taxes here. They help me and my family too. I pay my taxes and live my life in a manner that I benefit from. I think others would benefit too but I don't try to make them. Who would want that? I wouldn't want to be coerced like that. I just think we need to look ahead at what is going to happen if things don't change. Hunting and fishing will not be what we all desire. The economy will not be what we all desire. Relations between people groups will not be benefitting all. Perhaps if we didn't have the word for racism we would just call it wrongful treatment of people and we wouldn't get defensive and we wouldn't make/sides....

Also, don't really care what "hoops" you jump through to harvest game like that. If it wasn't worth it, you wouldn't do it. I am sure I would "jump through bigger/more hoops" to have a similar hunting privilege. That isn't what I seek. I seek unselfish, responsible, and intelligent management by those who harvest and those that don't.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:22 PM

People pointing out they saw a hunting camp of First Nations people hauling out that many game in one concentrated area should be acknowledged as a part of what is going on. It seems to stir up dispute though. How does arguing it make this any better? Acknowledging it doesn't "make the white guy start winning the argument". What's with the peeing match/power struggle over all this? That makes us all unreasonable. I think people from both groups (FN and non-FN) are finally coming together to acknowledge the system is not working for everyone. Why not try to solve the problems together? Whether that is change, tweak, or replacement of the current system?
It would sure be nice if I could stop every white guy poaching or creating a bad name for hunters like me, but I am not seeking that reputation so it wouldn't even satisfy. It would only be one part of the puzzle. I am not seeking excessive hunting privilege. I hope that we could mange game so that we can all enjoy opportunity of reasonable hunting.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 PM

I always thought the reefer thing and the native hunting camps with either 1000 animals down or exact crazy numbers like 106 deer 56 elk and 31 moose were urban legends on par with "the fish cops released 12 breeding pairs of cougars in my area" and "if you flash your headlights it's a gang initiation"

I know some FN abuse their rights and a select few severely abuse their rights and it's not right. But I've always felt the reefer story and the carnage camp story were a bit of a stretch
Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 AM

I see 3 cougars often on my cams and less deer every year and there moveing east .hard winters ,to many doe tags ,wolves, lot less game left .Don't think people in charge have a clue
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
But I've always felt the reefer story and the carnage camp story were a bit of a stretch
Up here they fly em' back with Twin Otters cuz they can't get reefer trucks in there. You don't wanna know who pays for it.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM

I was up there yesterday and saw abull moose. just go west from perryvale about 6 miles there is a tree farm on the north side of the road. There was a bull and cow in there feeding yesterday morning around 930 on that tree farm. go get him