Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Default Question for BC Members.

Looks like my Elk opener in the Kootenys next week will have to cancelled or postponed. We have some private property to hunt, but with all Crown land closed to access, it might not be feasable to make trip.
My brother is hunting in BC right now, and he has been hearing rumblings that proffesional outfitters and hunting guides are exempt from the closure. He has heard a lot of complaints about the fact that Americans and other non res aliens are allowed onto Crown land while BC residents are banned. News is sketchy and with govt. offices being closed for the long weekend, there is no one to call and inquire about this.
The whole situation with these closures is a bummer, but I can see why they did it. Thing is, if it's a total general closure for saftey reasons, then the same rules should apply to everyone.
Any BC members on here know anything more about this? PM if you want. Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Not a BC resident, but...

I'm not a BC resident, but might be able to offer insight;

In the spring of 2016, I booked a resident bear hunt in northern Alberta. If you remember, there was then (as now) a total fire ban, and a ban on atv's due to the extreme hot and dry conditions. I was concerned that this might make our hunt a waste of time.
The atv ban was NOT applicable to commercial activities. Which included the paid hunt that I was on - also seismic crews, forestry workers, etc.
Seems kinda stupid that if I had gone up there to hunt on my own, I would have had to leave the atv at home - but since I was paying some other guy to run baits, I could use the quad.
I would imagine the restriction in BC is the same thing... total recreational closure of the crown land, but open for commercial purposes... including outfitting
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Some of the stuff posted on line says that guide/outfitters are included in this ban if it turns out that they are not Im sure it will start quit a up roar.
Im guessing you are going on a accompanied permit so will be limited to 21 days unless those have been changed as well if not and no change in the weather the ban could be all of September. The long range forecast does show rain coming next week if you have any faith in there predictions.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:08 PM

I hear the fishing guides can use the elk river but not the residents.thats not good
Old 09-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Some of the stuff posted on line says that guide/outfitters are included in this ban if it turns out that they are not Im sure it will start quit a up roar.
Im guessing you are going on a accompanied permit so will be limited to 21 days unless those have been changed as well if not and no change in the weather the ban could be all of September. The long range forecast does show rain coming next week if you have any faith in there predictions.
Yeh, I'm on set time limit, and the paperwork has do be done at least a month ahead of time. I like our Hunter Host system much better. I can still hunt BC under the present conditions on private land, but a lot of residents in BC are going to be very upset if foriegners can hunt while they can't.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:33 PM

east kootenany is shut down. Know one is allowed in bush. Outfitters and residents alike. Land owners will be held responsible if fire starts on private land, so many of them will halt activity on their land.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfarmer View Post
east kootenany is shut down. Know one is allowed in bush. Outfitters and residents alike. Land owners will be held responsible if fire starts on private land, so many of them will halt activity on their land.
I agree with you that back country access is closed in the Rocky Mountain Forest District, which includes the Kootney's, but word is going around that guides are being exempted. That was my original question.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebuck View Post
I hear the fishing guides can use the elk river but not the residents.thats not good
Not hear say but right from the BC website dated Sept 2:

This Order does not apply to:

* Angling and river rafting on the Elk River between the town of Sparwood and Elko from boat launches accessed from highways only.

nothing about Guides vs residents...
Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 AM

You can call or e-mail to find out....
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/drm/
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Banned

ALL activities are shut down, guides included, as well as any bush work like logging. Complete ban on all gravel road acsess to lakes and rivers as well. Basically you can go anywhere you want, as long as you stay on the pavement. Fines start at $1150 per person. Your trip is history, sucks but so is my hunting too.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
ALL activities are shut down, guides included, as well as any bush work like logging. Complete ban on all gravel road acsess to lakes and rivers as well. Basically you can go anywhere you want, as long as you stay on the pavement. Fines start at $1150 per person. Your trip is history, sucks but so is my hunting too.
Well, we do have permission on private property that we could still access without breaking clousure rules, but darn thats a long trip for a small area to hunt. On the bright side, the land owner see's elk on his property regularly, but we all know how much they move around. Was also hoping to try Archery Turkey at same time.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
You can call or e-mail to find out....
https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/drm/
Exactly, why not actually contact the people in charge to learn the facts, rather than to ask for hearsay?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 AM

Went over the Grey Creek Pass 2 days before the ban. It was very dry all over. Hopefully the rain comes early but who knows.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, why not actually contact the people in charge to learn the facts, rather than to ask for hearsay?
X's3...
Thanks to the members who posted the link to the BC Government Web site so people can find out first hand.
Rob
Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeh, call a Govt. office on a holiday weekend. Your funny.
Thanks to poster with BC govt. linc. Local radio in Kootney's had announcements today to clarify closure rules. Guess it was a little more then heresay.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Actually some of those in charge can not answer the questions either, but they will give you another number to try, who gives you another number etc etc.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Yeh, call a Govt. office on a holiday weekend. Your funny.
Thanks to poster with BC govt. linc. Local radio in Kootney's had announcements today to clarify closure rules. Guess it was a little more then heresay.
So curious as to what they ended up telling you.
Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Actually some of those in charge can not answer the questions either, but they will give you another number to try, who gives you another number etc etc.
At least when you do reach a person that gives you an answer, it isn't hearsay, that may or may not be true. I would rather wait a few hours, or even one day to get an answer, from the people in charge, rather than make a decision based on hearsay.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
At least when you do reach a person that gives you an answer, it isn't hearsay, that may or may not be true. I would rather wait a few hours, or even one day to get an answer, from the people in charge, rather than make a decision based on hearsay.
You are too naive. Reach a person in charge? Please. Best you'll get is someone that will tell you all they know from what they have been told by thier bosses.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
So curious as to what they ended up telling you.
Thanks
Apparantly, some guides were inventing a "loophole" where as a commercial entity , with proffesional training, and even some firefighting training they were exempt from the closure. Sounds like the closure door was slammed hard on them.
Prehaps they should volunteer as forest fire assistants. Lots of jobs back at camp when the real forest fire fighters get a break.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:11 PM

I was in Invermere this weekend. It's crazy dry. No rain since June. 30+ degrees outside.
All activities in the backcountry are shut down. All campgrounds are closed. People are being evacuated and preparing for sudden evacuation from their homes around Cranbrook and Kimberly.
As much as it stinks to miss a season of hunting, far greater implications for those living there year round
Old 09-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
You are too naive. Reach a person in charge? Please. Best you'll get is someone that will tell you all they know from what they have been told by thier bosses.
So now it's naive to believe information from official sources rather than accepting hearsay as fact? Who is really being naive here?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
So now it's naive to believe information from official sources rather than accepting hearsay as fact? Who is really being naive here?
I was asking BC members what they knew about Guides trying to use a loophole to continue hunting in the closed area. Something you had and have no clue about. Turns out there were some problems but officials have made it clear there are no exemptions for guides.
Thanks for the PM's guys. really helped with my plans.
Elk, your fixation on trying to derail my threads and twist my posts is becoming unhealthy. Try to get out more.