Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 AM

Default calling black bear

I have an unused bear tag that I wanted to fill this fall, but I've never hunted black bear this time of year. I'm likely only going to get one weekend to go out so I was thinking of trying predator calls rather than baiting. Any thoughts or suggestions on this or what calls to use would be welcome.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 AM

I hear calls that mimic the sound of a doughnut work very well.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Rabbit in distress call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 AM

I wouldn't bother making that my focus. Instead concentrate on putting in the miles on the lease roads. Spot and stalk will serve you best this time of year. If you have access to an oat field on private land especially north and west of Edmonton a couple hundred clicks and further, this will be a quick event for you.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedes13 View Post
Rabbit in distress call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This...watched a little bear respond from a couple hundred yards...now when I call yotes I keep an eye out because not all bears den up completely during the winter...sick, hungry winter bear would not be what I would want to call in...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I wouldn't bother making that my focus. Instead concentrate on putting in the miles on the lease roads. Spot and stalk will serve you best this time of year. If you have access to an oat field on private land especially north and west of Edmonton a couple hundred clicks and further, this will be a quick event for you.
X2. calls only work if bears can hear them. Evening is a good time.

Grizz
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM

I called in a mature black bear once with a cow elk call. It was in October and the bear came crashing in to about 30 yards before stopping to look around.

I have also called hundreds of times in areas which I know are covered up in bears and never had a response. It's possible that you'll get a bear, but likely that you'll go home empty handed.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-02-2017, 10:05 AM

Spot and Stalk around the oat field fringes is always a good bet in the fall.

If you want to try a distress call of any type, have a partner watching your six... lots of Cats around.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Where are you hunting?

I've called lots of bears. Late afternoon or evening is best, but I have called them in mid day as well.

Fawn bawl or fawn or cub distress works.
Call loud and long .
I look for sign of course scat tracks rubs etc,
There has to be bears in the area for calling to work, Seems simple eh?

If you call they will keep coming in and when you stop they stop. Their attention span is short. a few minutes of no calling will mean they move on.

Sometimes they come in with a purpose and sometimes they are just taking their time.

Calling in an ag area with crops is a waste of time, unless you have a canola in distress call.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Best spot for fall bear is oats, bee hives and canola. Most farmers will be more than happy to let you shoot bears in their oats, Yogi makes a hell of a mess of an oat field. Oat field along rivers and streams will be REAL hot choices for bear.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Calling black bear

Redfrog...
I was planning on the land around synthia. I was told it's crawling with bear

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 09-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
Redfrog...
I was planning on the land around synthia. I was told it's crawling with bear

Thanks for the replies guys
Cynthia is not crawling with bear. There used to be a good population and bears still roam there. However having baited it recently, might wanna rethink your strategy....
Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Cynthia is not crawling with bear. There used to be a good population and bears still roam there. However having baited it recently, might wanna rethink your strategy....
Alright. New strategy then...anyone have info on public land good for fall black bear that they wouldn't mind sharing? Not trying to snipe anyone's prize spot, just looking for general info.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:35 PM

Bacon burn

Save your old bacon grease in a tin can, heat it up on a single Colman burner
Add some syrup if you want. Smell Carries quite well and is portable. Worked for me once. That morning I actually had breakfast over looking a cutblock, ate the bacon, kept the heat on and added syrup. Made a greyish smoke that moved down the valley. Bear came out about 45 min after starting the burner
Propane burners should be exempt from a fire ban.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I hear calls that mimic the sound of a doughnut work very well.

Bahahahahahaha
Old 09-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
Alright. New strategy then...anyone have info on public land good for fall black bear that they wouldn't mind sharing? Not trying to snipe anyone's prize spot, just looking for general info.
The problem with everyone looking for a spot is this: they are never looking for a prime area but they would like a spot that holds animals. To me they are one in the same. The general area that holds a prime spot will never be given. Or at least shouldn't be on an online forum....
I'll give you this. Try northern Alberta.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Where are you hunting?

I've called lots of bears. Late afternoon or evening is best, but I have called them in mid day as well.

Fawn bawl or fawn or cub distress works.
Call loud and long .
I look for sign of course scat tracks rubs etc,
There has to be bears in the area for calling to work, Seems simple eh?

If you call they will keep coming in and when you stop they stop. Their attention span is short. a few minutes of no calling will mean they move on.

Sometimes they come in with a purpose and sometimes they are just taking their time.

Calling in an ag area with crops is a waste of time, unless you have a canola in distress call.
This ^^^^ .. calls work well but be careful what you are asking for .
Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Bacon burn

Save your old bacon grease in a tin can, heat it up on a single Colman burner
Add some syrup if you want. Smell Carries quite well and is portable. Worked for me once. That morning I actually had breakfast over looking a cutblock, ate the bacon, kept the heat on and added syrup. Made a greyish smoke that moved down the valley. Bear came out about 45 min after starting the burner
Propane burners should be exempt from a fire ban.
Add a dash of oil of anise { licorice } .. works wonders
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM

i've had limited success using the screaming cottontail...i've only tried it on bears that i could see. here's my 2 cents...

worked like magic on a sow and 3 cubs one fall a couple years back...had to stop calling or they would have run us over...previous poster is right, when i stopped the screaming the sow would meander off to the treeline like she had ADHD but a few new screams brought her back on track like she had no choice in the matter.

other times it has stopped bears in their tracks only...curious lengthy looks but no change in direction of travel.

other times it has sent bears running AWAY...weird right? you're thinking wind was wrong and on at least one occasion i'm certain it had nothing to to with it as the bears were 200 yards away when the scream sent them packing...my calling skill is likely low...lol

i'm sure as my experience grows so will my success...same as whitetails there's a knack to any calling...

buy a couple diff calls and try em out in the bush...ideally call when you can see them so you get a feel for their reactions when they hear you.

spot and stalk bears is a rush, no question...good luck!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 PM

I haven't really tried calling much for bears, hunt alone most of the time. Best advise I can give on the area you plan to hunt is find the fresh new growth clover at this time of year. (new pipelines, leases, cut lines, cut blocks Ect.) Places off the beaten path are best. Find some fresh scat and call or sit on it for the evening.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Try a young fawn or calf elk or calf moose same call you use when cow and calf split up and the calf is calling her, soft almost baby crying,but they got one heck of a nose and will circle quit often.Not loud just very high pitch softly and not often cause they can smell your breath if close enough.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Add a dash of oil of anise { licorice } .. works wonders
Dip your jig in that stuff and it works for fishing as well.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
"Used to be " is about it. My Bro lives west of Lodgepole. There are a few around but he's seen only one Bear in the last 5 yrs. around his place.