Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 07:52 AM

Default Climbing stand

I bought my first climbing tree stand. I'm wondering how early all you guys with them go out and set up for the sit? Went out last night and was sitting by 4, wind was changing directions every 30 seconds, probably should've just stayed home lo.l I did pack up a little early just because I didn't wanna climb down for the time in the dark. Anyway, if anyone has any tips on how to best utilize these stands, they'd be much appreciated!

Waterfowler
Old 09-04-2017, 08:34 AM

Tip #1, never ever get out before dark...unless the tree is going to blow down.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Pre-season check out every spot that you could hunt depending on which way the wind is blowing.

If the wind is not right don't hunt that location. Wait for the right conditions.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 AM

If you dont have pre scouting info, keep heading out early. 4 is really early this time of year. Most traffic in the evenings in my areas are 7pm on. But it allows you plenty of time to set up, get comfortable, settle in. Etc. Once you get a routine you will cut down the amount of time you need drastically. But like the others have said.... don't get down before dark unless you absolutely have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=clarky;3616258]If you dont have pre scouting info, keep heading out early. 4 is really early this time of year. Most traffic in the evenings in my areas are 7pm on. But it allows you plenty of time to set up, get comfortable, settle in. Etc. Once you get a routine you will cut down the amount of time you need drastically. But like the others have said.... don't get down before dark unless you absolutely have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yea it was my first time in this public area, tons of heavy trails, set up off an intersection. Only went down early just to make sure I was safe my first time descending it. Usually I sit a while pst sundown after shooting light to just sit and listen and see if I can hear or see any movement
Old 09-04-2017, 01:00 PM

I always stay late but for your first time it was wise to climb down early and figure things out. There's nothing quite like getting your climber hung up and spending an Hour in the dark trying to rescue yourself.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I always stay late but for your first time it was wise to climb down early and figure things out. There's nothing quite like getting your climber hung up and spending an Hour in the dark trying to rescue yourself.
True! Getting down early was a good decision.

Once you're more comfortable with using the stand, climbing/descending in the dark becomes easier.