Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2016, 06:26 AM

Default Turkey Hunt Help/Tips?

I was watching wild TV with my 82 yr old Dad yesterday and a Turkey hunt was on.. He says to me " That's one hunt I always wanted to go on!"

I thought I had told him that we got drawn this year?? I'm sure I did but at 82 he is allowed to forget or maybe I didn't tell him??? Did it slip my mind? Doesn't matter he knows now and is pretty excited about it to say the least...

Looking for for permission,pointers,general areas to go etc....
My Dad is still pretty mobile so walking into an area and setting up and calling is in the cards for sure

Any help at all would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Best bet is in the Lundbrick Falls area. Most landowners will give you permission if they know you are hunting turkey. Huge signs in that area warning about not seeking to hunt deer.

Best advise I can give you is to travel slow just at sun set making a gobble call if you have one, otherwise a crow call. A tom that has roosted will instantly answer back to one of those two calls. Now you know where he is and can set up.

If you think you know the area a tom is in go in the dark, set up against a tree like you see in video's and first make a loud crow call, the tom should answer right away.

Then make low hen clucks not too often or the tom will expect you to come to him. Most important do not move ever, if the tom starts to cluck the jig is up and you now know the definition of tom foolery

Good luck