Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Hunting with FN Friends

Hey guys,

kind of an odd question but I figured I'd put it out to the group here and see what I get back.

A few guys I play hockey with are First Nations from the Calgary area and they've invited me to go on a hunt with them at some point on their land (reserve).

Now, I have WT tags but they are obviously good for the end of the month (a few days away). They laughed when I started talking about tags and hunting seasons, etc., as I expected them to I guess.

So, my question is, if I go on a hunt with them and we get something outside of the regular hunting season, am I allowed to keep any of the meat that they would give me, etc.? The last thing I'd want to do would be to be accused of poaching or doing something against the rules.

If I am allowed to keep meat from that hunt, how do I do so and what happens if I get stopped by F&W or something like that?

I don't know, just figured one of you guys would have been in a situation like this in the past.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Old 11-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...Oct25-2016.pdf

Quote:
Sale of wildlife (trafficking) and gifting

The Wildlife Act and regulations set out Alberta’s laws on the selling, buying, bartering, soliciting or trading in wildlife or wildlife parts or offering to do so. The law does not allow many activities, and controls others. It does not allow hunting for the purpose of trafficking in wildlife, including parts such as meat, trophy heads, antlers, horns or skins. However, it does allow the sale of skins from deer, elk, moose or pronghorn antelope that were lawfully hunted for food. Wildlife killed for food by Indians is for the sole use of the hunter and their family. The law does not allow gifting of this wildlife, including any meat or other part, to anyone that is not an Indian.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:09 AM

Hunt with FN friends? Or F'n friends?

LC
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM

I hunt with a FN dude during normal hunting season. He buys a tag to avoid any issues.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM

OK good to know, thanks!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM

Had a guy tell me last week,it's ok for him to hunt any time. he has a Pet Native, would you believe ?

Grizz
Old 11-28-2016, 10:24 AM

First Nations hunter chiming in. We're legally only supposed to be sustenance hunters for us and our family and band. We can't sell or gift any meat to people who are neither family nor First Nations themselves. We can sell hides, but only if the animal was primarily hunted for food.

I'm 99% sure you have to have your tags and be in season when hunting, regardless of if you're with First Nations or not and whether you're on reserve or not. The provincial regulations don't change for non-First Nations people whether you're on reserve or not. Officially I'd ask a local F&W officer, but to my understanding that's what it is. I've never hunted on my reserves (they're way up in the farthest NW corner of AB) but I don't think the regulations would change, in the same way provincial and federal laws don't change on vs off reserve.

Even with tags and being in season, there is still a huge grey area when hunting in "mixed" groups. Technically, First Nations people are not to be assisted by non-First Nations people "in the hunt" -- even just pointing out an animal. You can help us after the kill -- field dressing, transporting, etc -- but in the actual hunting process we're supposed to be alone or only with other First Nations people (segregation, right?).

(Side note: If I want to hunt with my white friends, the safest thing for me to do is get some tags and hunt without my status card, and hunt within the same provincial regulations that apply to everyone else.)

All this said, I personally have no qualms about sharing my bounty with my friends as I do with family. If I were to do it (not saying I do or don't!), I would transport the animal with my own vehicle (not my friend's) and do the sharing quietly after the meat is processed.

Side note: Are you from CP? I'm from OilFans and think we've probably tended nets against each other at the Centrium (or maybe even way back in Eckville!)
Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
OK good to know, thanks!
A bit of additional info.

I take it that this reserve is in Alberta. The location of the reserve could play a role in the rules.

Most Alberta Reserves have not filed a Wildlife Management Plan (WMP) that allows them to sell hunting licences for Non Treaty people authorizing on reserve lands. If the Nation does Not have a WMP, then a non0nation guest can hunt there with permission from the Nation, and usually just by permission of a Nation Member (Individual Nation rules would apply).

In Alberta, you require an Import/possession permit to bring Wildlife into the province from a Reserve (as technically, reserve lands are Federal Lands). While I do not believe that there is any written rules on this matter, I have been advised that a valid licence will be accepted as the import/possession permit. The licence has to be a general licence for the same species and must be used during an open season.

In essence, the Alberta licence does not regulate hunting on reserve lands, but the legal importation of wildlife.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Too funny.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 AM

You Can't keep any meat .
If your just going for the experience then it's ok.
Don't bother carrying a rifle. It complicates things outside of the regular hunting season. Although you could be hunting wolves and coyotes. It just creates an s**t sho when F&W grills you. Even if your on the up and up there are people who take advantage of the situation so F&W assume your guilty until proven innocent. I've been grilled before, my wife is First Nation. She has only shot chickens and a couple ducks but some F&W aren't shy to start throwing out accusations. My wife isn't shy to put them in their place either
"You expect me to believe she is hunting?" Says he
" you don't think a woman can shoot!?" Says the wife
" I'm not saying you can't " says he
" sure as hell sounds like that's what your implying " says the wife
" have a nice day ma'am " says he

We are on the up and up so we don't mind a bit of push back cause I'm sure there are many making a bad name for others.
Potential for headache is huge but laws shouldn't pick your friends.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
First Nations hunter chiming in. We're legally only supposed to be sustenance hunters for us and our family and band. We can't sell or gift any meat to people who are neither family nor First Nations themselves. We can sell hides, but only if the animal was primarily hunted for food.

I'm 99% sure you have to have your tags and be in season when hunting, regardless of if you're with First Nations or not and whether you're on reserve or not. The provincial regulations don't change for non-First Nations people whether you're on reserve or not. Officially I'd ask a local F&W officer, but to my understanding that's what it is. I've never hunted on my reserves (they're way up in the farthest NW corner of AB) but I don't think the regulations would change, in the same way provincial and federal laws don't change on vs off reserve.

Even with tags and being in season, there is still a huge grey area when hunting in "mixed" groups. Technically, First Nations people are not to be assisted by non-First Nations people "in the hunt" -- even just pointing out an animal. You can help us after the kill -- field dressing, transporting, etc -- but in the actual hunting process we're supposed to be alone or only with other First Nations people (segregation, right?).

(Side note: If I want to hunt with my white friends, the safest thing for me to do is get some tags and hunt without my status card, and hunt within the same provincial regulations that apply to everyone else.)

All this said, I personally have no qualms about sharing my bounty with my friends as I do with family. If I were to do it (not saying I do or don't!), I would transport the animal with my own vehicle (not my friend's) and do the sharing quietly after the meat is processed.

Side note: Are you from CP? I'm from OilFans and think we've probably tended nets against each other at the Centrium (or maybe even way back in Eckville!)
Good post, thank you for taking the time.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post

Hey man! Sure am from CP and yes I've played in that game for a little while now, not the past couple of years though. That's awesome, small world.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that stuff in mind.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Default FB friends

i think walking buffalo has the right information for you
Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
A bit of additional info.

I take it that this reserve is in Alberta. The location of the reserve could play a role in the rules.

Most Alberta Reserves have not filed a Wildlife Management Plan (WMP) that allows them to sell hunting licences for Non Treaty people authorizing on reserve lands. If the Nation does Not have a WMP, then a non0nation guest can hunt there with permission from the Nation, and usually just by permission of a Nation Member (Individual Nation rules would apply).

In Alberta, you require an Import/possession permit to bring Wildlife into the province from a Reserve (as technically, reserve lands are Federal Lands). While I do not believe that there is any written rules on this matter, I have been advised that a valid licence will be accepted as the import/possession permit. The licence has to be a general licence for the same species and must be used during an open season.

In essence, the Alberta licence does not regulate hunting on reserve lands, but the legal importation of wildlife.
Thanks, lots of good info there!
This is in Alberta, west of Calgary.
Not sure about a WMP for there but I'll check it out, or at least try to find it.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:22 AM

I hunt with my son in law whom is fn and the first time we ran into f&w they asked a million question of me even though I have valid tags after a day in the bush following us and did not see or find any wrong doing they now are great to see and say their hellos and shoot the s---- with us. We can share the meat because we are family. But I would not hunt with him if he was not you open up too many grey areas. I do not point his game out to him if he does not see it oh well his bad luck I only help him in his recovery of downed game. And we abide by all the same rules that every other hunter is required. Probably more so because we won't give them the opportunity to find us do any wrong doing even in clear cuts we step off the trail to shoot it may mean we miss the opportunity to shoot but better safe then sorry. There's always Safeway lol. And we recover all edible meat including heart and liver and we take the hides with us and the heads.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:17 PM

In this day and age where we all claim to live under the the same public and social expectations with great responsibility and commitment to the next generation(s) I for one would love to see 1(one) set of rules for ALL who utilize our natural resources....
Very few individuals DEPEND on venison,freshly caught fish ,trapped fur etc nowadays...sure many LIKE it and cherish the opportunity to obtain, but some feel entiltled as 'owners' to have PRIVATE rules...stop it already.