Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 PM

Ya know I am not brand loyal, I have 4 differert makes. It sure makes me laugh when I hear one specfic brand is superior. I use quad for a living too in BC, NWT, Alta, Sask. Ya sure a quad will last a long time down south here take her north of Fort Mac, High Level Country .....man thats tough. Rider skill plays a big part on where a quad will go. Yes I have my work quads and play quads just depends what ya want. I got a little 2004 Honda 350 sitting here that I drowned in Fort Mac. Needs motor.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-19-2009, 05:58 PM

As many have said you will not go wrong with a Honda. I had 2 350's, they were great. I made the mistake of buying a suzuki..what a piece. I now ride a Kawi 650 straight axle, and I love it. For a soid axle it rides great, a set of mud bug radials make it even better. Independant rear is great, if you dont have a load on and like replacing cv boots.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
As many have said you will not go wrong with a Honda. I had 2 350's, they were great. I made the mistake of buying a suzuki..what a piece. I now ride a Kawi 650 straight axle, and I love it. For a soid axle it rides great, a set of mud bug radials make it even better. Independant rear is great, if you dont have a load on and like replacing cv boots.
My Suzuki is a great bike. As a matter a fact one of the best small bore quads I have owned Got a 650 Kawasaki IRS too. No problems with CV boots

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 PM

I have an 06 Polaris Sportsman 800, if I had to I'd buy another one. I don't think that you can go wrong with a Honda though. I know they had problems with the electronic shift when they first came out round 2000 or there abouts. (can't remember it's too long ago.) I'm assumeing that they fixed that problem, haven't heard a thing about it since then. As for your comment about looking at a Yamaha... buy the Honda.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM

Just curious as to your age, and are you ever going to use this quad for aggressive riding on the weekends and that sort of stuff?
And what quads have you ridden in the past?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Will you man up and come to Grande Cache with me this fall??? I will show you first hand what this guy goes through on a daily basis and what he rides in is where we will be elk hunting. There will be room on the trailer. The Honda works great and last as long but without a diff-lock they are not worth the effort to fight with. I will PM you the dates Honda450 when we are going so that you can book off the dates. I have called out many but none have taken up the offer so I won't be surprised if you don't show.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM

to recommend anything Honda. If I culd buy another quad it would be one of the older 300 fortrax single shock in the rear 4X4. Those light things would go anywhere
Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Will you man up and come to Grande Cache with me this fall??? I will show you first hand what this guy goes through on a daily basis and what he rides in is where we will be elk hunting. There will be room on the trailer. The Honda works great and last as long but without a diff-lock they are not worth the effort to fight with. I will PM you the dates Honda450 when we are going so that you can book off the dates. I have called out many but none have taken up the offer so I won't be surprised if you don't show.

Thanks for your generous offer to come elk hunting this fall sparky660. But can't make it. Yes that Grande Cache area is some mean country alright. Did quite a bit of work north of there. Good luck on your elk hunt. Oh I have a trailer as well as a quad deck on my truck, I can haul 5 quads, so don't save room for me. Thanks.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Default check the warranty

Honda warranty is one year unless they're throwing in 2 extra years for free.
I have a 420 which I am very happy with. When I brought it in for servicing the mechanic warned me against ever getting a 450 which I think has since been dropped. It was strange being told by a Honda mechanic that one of their models was a lemon though.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

Ive got a buddy in forestry and he told me that all their quads wer 450's and no problems with them. My 450 has run well as I stated earlyer. Not sure why they would perform any different than the 400's or the 500's, their all pretty much the same. Deffinatly not as fun to ride as the 500's though, that extra powere is nice for popping the front over big logs and stuff.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 PM

Nothing wrong with the 450's, and never ever heard anything bad about them either. Got an abused one that is 11 years old. She ain't pretty but runs like a Timex.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM

The only problems that honda really has is with the electronic shifter. If you are going to have an issue most of the time it is with the electronics associated with the auto tranny. From what i have seen the 450 is no better or no worse than the other models.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
The only problems that honda really has is with the electronic shifter. If you are going to have an issue most of the time it is with the electronics associated with the auto tranny. From what i have seen the 450 is no better or no worse than the other models.
The older model brakes are a issue too. Don't know what they are like now but before they sucked.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

The breaks are still not great, the rear ones are pretty much useless and I cant remember how the front ones work, they've needed to be bled for about 3 years now and just havnt done it.