Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Default Box Covers

I am looking at buying a soft roll up type box cover for my 3/4 ton Dodge. What are some of the good ones with good features? I would like it to seal up as tight as possible.
Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM

I don't think you will find one that seals up real well. I had the retractible kind that sort of rolls up, it leaked both dust and water. I also had a hard top, it kept everything dry, but leaked dust. I haven't tried a soft top, but I wouldn't expect it to be any better at keeping out dust. The only way to keep dust out might be to hook up a fan and a filter and try to presurize the box.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM

A "one-piece" cover will keep dust & moisture out better than the sectional fold-ups and retractables, but in my experience the dust will still get in. The only suggestion I have is to install foam on the rails. The downside to foam is that it has to be replaced once or twice a year.

For what it is worth, I had an Extang snap cover for 2 years of Texas heat and 7 years of Alberta winters and it never cracked or tore. It was still doing its job when I sold the truck. The dust wasn't too bad, but it did get in.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Big.Bear

I have a fiberglass tonneau cover for a short box ford for sale but I don't think it'd fit a dodge.