Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Question Quad Tracks yes or no

Hey boys looking at a new macheine i was thinking about triangle tracks what are your thoughts whitch ones are good or bad and can i use them all year around witch ones stand the test of time becuse at 3000 to 4000 i dont want to buy junk any thoughts would be greatly appreceated
Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM

I have never run them but heard you need to be making some power to support them ie. Big Bore quad. There are some video's on You tube of guys running them in the snow and they are getting around pretty good. For mud, they look like they might load up.
Would be interesting to hear from someone that has em!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 AM

500 cc quad min is recommended.
Asked the guy at the show this weekend which quad of mine would be best for a set of those, my Polaris 400 HO, or my Honda Fourtrax 400, he said neither. rated 400 cc min, but he said best not to put them on a 400.

TBark
Old 03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

My bro used one with tracks on it for a while he said it worked well in mud and snow but that they were bad for getting wedged under fallen logs rather than popping over. He had his on a Foreman 500

Anyone tryed those ones that just go on the back and use a hitch reciever and a second axle? I've been curious about putting those on my honda 450 for a long time.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM

There is a guy that has one on a Polaris Hawkeye 455. I think that is the model. He lives in the mountains and really like them. You lose top end as they have a gear ruduction to make it easier to move but the added flotation in nice. The tracks will be hard to steer and are hard on the steering components. As far as I know the only ones for year round usage are the MAttracks Lightfoot series. If you ride alot of snow and muskeg they would be a great choice but to justify it more than 90% of your riding should on that type of terrain IMO.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 AM

I have BRP appache tracks on my CanAm 650. They are great in snow but like Cal said the back track does not have an angled leading edge so they do wedge under some logs and other obstacles. Most of the time this is not an issue if there is enough snow as you will stay on top of the snow. I have only used mine on snow so i can comment on other conditions but i would imagine they would be relativley rough and hard on the machine.

Once you have the mounting bracket put together the first time they only take about a couple hours to put them all on and 1.5 hours to take off. I know a couple of surveyors that use them as well and they really like them as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Look into an argo with tracks.
RBH
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM

Friend of mine has a set of TJD cat tracks on his 750 brute force. He absolutly loves them. They run in the snow and in the mud with no jaming issues in the mud. Its amazing to watch him go through the skeg in those things. Only problems he mentioned is that you do lose some top end, but on the trails you don't notice anyway, its just on the dirt roads you'll notice. Side hills can be an issue and he has jumped his tracks a few times on some side hills but they go back on real easy once your used to it. He has had them for awhile now and can tell when they are off and all he does is turn the handle and back up slowly and they pop right back on (for the most part), and they do ride fairly rough in the summer on hard pack trails. Other than those small points he said he would put them on his quad again if he had to.
Takes 2 guys about 2 1/2 hours to put them on.
Well worth it IMO. I'm saving for a set for my Rhino!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM

I would totally recommend them for anyone running a rhino, those damn machines are way too heavy in the snow had a bad experience this last weekend and if i had a genie that would be my second wish lol don't ask what the first would be but for really they would make life so much better, I am also saving for a set for my grizzly660
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Default Atv Tracks

I have a set of the Camoplast UTV winter tracks on my Rhino. I have had no problems in the snow. Went out with the tires on and was stick, changed over to the tracks and could go any where. In deep float water they even went good. I got talked into them from a trapper that I know that has run them the last few years. I would recommend the 4 season track set for a quad. There are goo videos on the Camoplast web site. Honda Extreme is the dealer in Edmonton and Mountainside in Edson. The Rhino was a good ice fishing machine, now with the tracks it is even better. One thing to remember when you add tracks, you lose about 45% of your speed.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Thumbs up Thanks guys

Yup lots of good input thanks for the help
Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 PM

How much for the BRP's if you don't mind Pilsner Man?
Tracks + BS + b + s = $ ????.??
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM

8Lander

I dont remember the exact price but i think with all in including the tracks, 650 and the deal that i got it was around 13500. That was in May 2007 and that was before the prices came down alot the last year and a bit. I would imagine if you shopped around you get alot better deal. Just a heads up, i called alot of the dealers around and Wetaskiwin gave me the best price.