Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Default Trail cam set ups?

I was wondering How many of you guys use food plots or some sort of bait on your trail cam set ups or shed racks?

Just wondering...I have been told its legal to do so here in AB?
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Two days and not a reply to this one? I think you scared off the whole site with a legality question, good on ya! I personal don't have a sniff if that is okay to do or not but if you can't find your answer in the regs call fish and feathers office, they should be able to help.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Can't bait deer in alberta, and it is unlawful to feed wild animals....so to answer your question i don't, nor would i ever, Fish and wildlife also say its illegal, hope that helps.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM

So what your saying is that every farmer in alberta is a criminal....?????:co nfused:
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 PM

your allowed to feed animals for purpose of viewing legally. someones probably going to get all bent out of shape for me saying that but its legal.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 PM

thought so...I mean the use of attractant could be very useful in this sense...Trail cams and shed racks...

I just wondered if it was legal here..and if anyone does it?

LOL yeah there are always a few who think that feeding critters will lead to the death of them all. In truth farmers do it on a way larger scale than hunters...they use fields full...hunters use cups full ohh well...
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacphil View Post
thought so...I mean the use of attractant could be very useful in this sense...Trail cams and shed racks...

I just wondered if it was legal here..and if anyone does it?

LOL yeah there are always a few who think that feeding critters will lead to the death of them all. In truth farmers do it on a way larger scale than hunters...they use fields full...hunters use cups full ohh well...
You bet guys do it. Every year on here some one posts some trail cam pics with a deer that has a mouthful of hay(and someone makes a big deal about it). No different than a bird/squirrel feeder or feeding the ducks at the park. I can see maybe its a bigger issue now with cwd and concentrating a deer herd over a bait though. I will post some pics in the weeks to come its to cold out rite now for any kind of battery life.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 PM

Well...the people who think that deer herding up over a little bit of corn or hay is gunna spread CWD are obviously not that educated on ungulates. its a fact that deer and other ungulates group together in winter,
and far more likely they will do it on some farmers field or on somones back yard under their bird feeder.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Banned

It is illegal to bait animals in AB but not not illegal to use lures or attractants. As far as "feeding/baiting, I think that , in or out of season might be the gray area.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 AM

being a hunter i would never put any kind of bait out during the season your bound to get in trouble
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 AM

there are too many deer here anyways as far as baiting goes...but for pics in the off season it would be interesting and fun.

The regs say its a no no during season, and Its not really hunting if you know they are gunna come to eat its more like slaughtering...

Personally I like spot and stalk for archery, so it doesn't make sense to bait...takes away from the sport of it all...

Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
It is illegal to bait animals in AB but not not illegal to use lures or attractants. As far as "feeding/baiting, I think that , in or out of season might be the gray area.
Please RE read the regs. What you just said is INcorrect. Baiting includes lures or attractants that represent food. The only BIG game animal that it is legal to bait is the black bear.

BTW, why would I use a camera over bait. The whole point of the camera is to figure out 2 things, travel routes and the animals using the travel routes. Baiting will skew the results.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM

I think the reason would be to see whats in the area...And the bait would have to be on a used trail so the animal whatever it may be would stop and have multiple pics taken.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:56 PM

alot of people use cameras to see what's lurking in their hunting areas..!
I know thats what we do. I think as long as it's out of season you could
put out some deer feed. It is illegal to hunt over a bait. but taking pictures is totally different. IMO
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM

yeah How else would you concentrate the travelling habits of the deer to see what you got on the land your hunting...I do have to work alot so i dont have time to scout like some guys...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

I do for predators / birds, but haven't yet for big game.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Default feeding deer

you all need to re read the regulations.. Baiting deer is illeagal.. That statute states "baiting for the purpose of hunting" It will be up to a judge to determine if the use of the feed station was used for the "purpose of hunting" What ever you do don't hunt deer near a bait station.. if you dont use it during the hunting season yo will be okay.. If you use it even for trail camera seer that you intend to hunt it could cost you in court if you end up with a sticky officer.. roll the dice.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencountry View Post
you all need to re read the regulations.. Baiting deer is illeagal.. That statute states "baiting for the purpose of hunting" It will be up to a judge to determine if the use of the feed station was used for the "purpose of hunting" What ever you do don't hunt deer near a bait station.. if you dont use it during the hunting season yo will be okay.. If you use it even for trail camera seer that you intend to hunt it could cost you in court if you end up with a sticky officer.. roll the dice.
Like i said I would never do this in hunting season. Its for a time like this when you can find some sheds easier and see what made it through the season.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM

As far as I interpete the regs they are hunting reg's for HUNTING situations
If its after the season has closed and you are baiting to draw in animals for PICTURES with a trail camera thats not hunting that picture taking Can't see anything wrong with that I would not have bait out while a season is open, even if you were taking pictures as Im sure they would nail you under that situation
Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 AM

Default Not allowed

I've talked to fish and wildlife officer again and posed this exact question, with the same answer i've gotten for the second time(diffrent officers).The answer is No it is illegal and anyone caught would be charged. He told me that the definition of hunt is very broad in the dictionary and baiting trying to"hunt" for pictures falls under that.

so here's the defination of hunt.
hunt   /hʌnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [huhnt] Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object) 1. to chase or search for (game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing.
2. to pursue with force, hostility, etc., in order to capture (often fol. by down): They hunted him down and hanged him.
3. to search for; seek; endeavor to obtain or find (often fol. by up or out): to hunt up the most promising candidates for the position.
4. to search (a place) thoroughly.
5. to scour (an area) in pursuit of game.
6. to use or direct (a horse, hound, etc.) in chasing game.
7. Change Ringing. to alter the place of (a bell) in a hunt.
–verb (used without object) 8. to engage in the pursuit, capture, or killing of wild animals for food or in sport.
9. to make a search or quest (often fol. by for or after).
10. Change Ringing. to alter the place of a bell in its set according to certain rules.
–noun 11. an act or practice of hunting game or other wild animals.
12. a search; a seeking or endeavor to find.
13. a pursuit.
14. a group of persons associated for the purpose of hunting; an association of hunters.
15. an area hunted over.

Plus he added if in alberta it was allowed why wouldn't everyone ''bait for pictures," until the night before opening day, clean it all up and see if anything comes there the next day, with nothing there...and shoot it.(deer are habitual animals once they know there's feed there they won't stop checking it out...even if you stop putting it ) They'll show up.

So again it's illegal!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Well...the people who think that deer herding up over a little bit of corn or hay is gunna spread CWD are obviously not that educated on ungulates. its a fact that deer and other ungulates group together in winter,
and far more likely they will do it on some farmers field or on somones back yard under their bird feeder.
Why should that situation be created ARTIFICIALLY? Mule deer for instance could be spread over a square mile browsing on snowberries where as with baiting, it's a few thousand square feet. That's a big difference in exposure levels.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM

I am not talking mulies...I dont really hunt'em...I mean in dense brushy areas with deer trails...deer come and stop and click....pic taken then they are on there way again.

thats my experience with it, in other provinces of course.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I am not talking mulies...I dont really hunt'em...I mean in dense brushy areas with deer trails...deer come and stop and click....pic taken then they are on there way again.

thats my experience with it, in other provinces of course.
mulies are only one example, why encourage 200 deer or elk to feed off the same pile when they wouldn't in normal circumstances? That's just asking for trouble.

My own concern with baiting & cameras is that it introduces a bias. To me the whole point of a game camera is to figure out what the deer are doing UN-impeded. A bait pile, no matter how small will still introduce a bias. If you think you're missing pic's get a faster booting camera. Talk to Greg Potyok I'm sure he can help you out if that's the problem you're having.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM

No thats not the problem the camera's I use all have good trigger speeds and take great pics.

I know that a big pile of food would attract alot of animals...But what I am talking about is a small amount of food and In the trails deer very seldom gather and eat they just cruise by...But it does attract them...

Anyways The point of this post was to see who is doing this and if it is legal...

I dont bait here...I will just set up in a farmed area and set up my cameras there......why not the gov't of ab says thats completely legal...LMAO kind of funny I think considering thats baiting on a LARGE scale...