Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2021, 09:56 AM

Just for you Smokey, just for you.

All kidding and ribbing aside(not really) I’m happy you filled your tag.

Enjoy the good eats.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-19-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Congrats Smoky! Glad you sealed the deal in that one.

Had one come in on my weak side last night. Decent 3x3, but holding out for a bigger one. Would have had to move a lot to make a clean shot.

Nice morning today.

I am set up a bit too close to the road normally not
A big issue, as this place is very out-of-the-way.

Road hunters just drive back and forth , maybe once or twice a day at most.

Have a persistent one this morning. Stops, slams door, and begins a series of the most awkward rattling that I’ve ever heard. Like a mix of castanets, tap dancing and like he’s hammering a nail with a chunk of pvc. I wonder if that has ever worked for him? I’m honestly curious.

I’ll sit up here until he’s gone.
I have seen some horrible calling bring in the odd buck so you never know

Honestly you don’t need to be far from the road you just need to be where the deer are. Don’t matter if it’s 200yards or 5km. When I lived in BC I had a spot on a ridge where I could see all the road hunters from my stand. I would also watch deer hide just inside the bush and wait for trucks to pass before crossing

Shot lots of deer of that ridge too
Old 11-19-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Just for you Smokey, just for you.

All kidding and ribbing aside(not really) I’m happy you filled your tag.

Enjoy the good eats.
I have told you before I can hold out like the best of them and then out of the blue say screw it and shoot a little guy

Just have too keep everyone confused and on their toes

Last edited by Smoky buck; 11-19-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have told you before I can hold out like the best of them and then out of the blue say screw it and shoot a little guy

Just have too keep everyone confused and on their toes
Yeah, having a pretty good start on my meat I've been super picky this year. I've probably let over 15 bucks walk so far, about 4 of them I would have shot without a second thought most years, 2 of them might have been a personal best. As far as I'm concerned that already makes it a pretty awesome season.

Next week however, I might start lowering my standards a bit, if I can manage to shoot a little meat buck in the last week I wont regret a thing. Been a great season and I've learned alot from all the hours I've spent in the field.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, having a pretty good start on my meat I've been super picky this year. I've probably let over 15 bucks walk so far, about 4 of them I would have shot without a second thought most years, 2 of them might have been a personal best. As far as I'm concerned that already makes it a pretty awesome season.

Next week however, I might start lowering my standards a bit, if I can manage to shoot a little meat buck in the last week I wont regret a thing. Been a great season and I've learned alot from all the hours I've spent in the field.
Over the years I have found I enjoy the pursuit more than anything hence why I scout year round.

I stopped dwelling on what I shoot and just enjoy myself a few years back. I like targeting the mature bucks for the mental challenge and sometimes I will go all or nothing targeting them. It really just depends on my mood and I have passed on really nice bucks at times. I can think of two this year that most would not let walk

This year I passed on lots of bucks, I got to help family/friends get their deer, my wife getting her first buck was a big win, and just enjoyed my time out in the bush

No doubt in my mind I could have scratched out an opportunity or two on a mature buck before the season ended. I have two areas that are lit right up and just needed a wind shift

But it just seems like the right time yesterday and I don’t regret it. I know there is definitely some that just don’t understand reading this.

I will be out scouting and preparing to do it all over again really soon too waiting to see what next year brings
Old 11-19-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Over the years I have found I enjoy the pursuit more than anything hence why I scout year round.

I stopped dwelling on what I shoot and just enjoy myself a few years back. I like targeting the mature bucks for the mental challenge and sometimes I will go all or nothing targeting them. It really just depends on my mood and I have passed on really nice bucks at times. I can think of two this year that most would not let walk

This year I passed on lots of bucks, I got to help family/friends get their deer, my wife getting her first buck was a big win, and just enjoyed my time out in the bush

No doubt in my mind I could have scratched out an opportunity or two on a mature buck before the season ended. I have two areas that are lit right up and just needed a wind shift

But it just seems like the right time yesterday and I don’t regret it. I know there is definitely some that just don’t understand reading this.

I will be out scouting and preparing to do it all over again really soon too waiting to see what next year brings
My own philosophy is that you shoot a buck to consumate a good season. Once you feel that you've gotten the experience that you wanted out of a season, then whatever buck you happen to shoot is the right buck.

I've shot bucks of all sizes, at many different times durring the season, and for lots of different reasons. I've felt pretty good about every single buck I've ever shot that fell under that line of reasoning.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
My own philosophy is that you shoot a buck to consumate a good season. Once you feel that you've gotten the experience that you wanted out of a season, then whatever buck you happen to shoot is the right buck.

I've shot bucks of all sizes, at many different times durring the season, and for lots of different reasons. I've felt pretty good about every single buck I've ever shot that fell under that line of reasoning.
It sounds like we are on a similar page when it comes to to hunting

Best of luck to you
Old 11-19-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Well it was a slow day passed on a small 10pt in the morning and then nothing

Decided since I was in the supplemental zone I would come out early and look for a doe at last light. Wife has been bugging that she wants more meat in the house. Spotted a deer off of a lease at 100yards. Pulled up on it to see it was a little buck. Brought the rifle back down put 2 more in the tube and it still had not moved

Decided screw it I have never filled a tag on my birthday and I only have a few days left to hunt. It was just too easy and I got hungry

So not the climatic ending everyone was looking for but I did take my birthday buck. 100yards with the 30-30 and he tipped over on the spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well done!
I have never regretted shooting a single deer ever, big or small. Heck I have seen three bigger in the last few weeks than the one I shot early in the season !
Cat
Old 11-20-2021, 07:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Maybe an early birthday present for next season a decoy....you can get both a doe and buck...used decoys many times in areas that you never really know where they will come in from in tight thick spots....if they see it they will nine times outa ten walk around to check it out giving you a better opportunity even when they come in on your wrong side.
Just a thought as these new ones are very light and can be set up in seconds.

https://www.amazon.ca/Montana-Decoy-...419888&sr=8-25

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-23-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Ok everyone time for another one of my stupid scouting tips for those paying attention

Today I am going to talk about what I believe is one of the biggest factors when I start scouting for locations. Look where other hunters don’t and avoid places that are too welcoming. Honestly just stop thinking like every other hunter because that is exactly what bucks with any age are trying to avoid on public land

Don’t get caught up on harvest reports either because high harvest numbers also indicate the area sees high pressure. Also remember you are trying to tag a buck not 50 so you don’t need to find hundreds of deer. You only need to out smart one

If I think a location is going to attract other hunters because it is too inviting I ignore it. I am trying to hide from hunters just like the deer. So not going to lie I am going to touch on this lightly because I am trying to hide from hunters after all

There is 3 things I ask myself when looking at areas

1) Is it so stupid that everyone just drives by it. There is so much bush that hunters just drive by heading for “better areas”. This could be do to lack of road access. It could be a busy main road. There is no openings just miles of bush. You may need to park a good distance away. These are spots that can see very little pressure even though hunters drive past all the time. You may need to do some extra walking at times

2) Is the bush so nasty it provides a “sanctuary”. If it is so thick and ugly that you could not see a deer unless it was sitting in your lap perfect. There is miles of this stuff on public land and mature bucks hide in it. Now the hard part is to find a small window within it that you can hunt or find the transition point where there it starts to thin out. Expect to cover lots of ground trying to find pockets in this stuff without results. Learn to read the bush mature trees are a good sign and look at the tree tops in the distance don’t stare straight into the bush. Some times you just need to cover ground following trails. I have locations I have covered countless miles in that hold awesome mature buck sign but I have not found a pocket I can hunt yet! Don’t be a quitter lol

3) Natural boundaries work wonders for eliminating hunting pressure. Water of any kind, ravines, steep hills or anything that involves some effort or planning to cross. If it stops trucks, ATVs, or involves physical effort perfect. ATVs do disrupt some mature bucks in my opinion so save them for recovery if you are going to use them. Let’s be honest guys lots of hunters own ATVs you are not getting away from anyone. I prefer areas ATVs can’t access and mine never comes whitetail hunting

Remember this is bush hunting big open areas are bad . Most of hunting areas I rarely see deer from the road

You want to scout these areas well before the season because it takes time and you will disrupt deer well you scout. If you start searching theses areas during hunting season you will just watch or hear deer run away

Again these are my opinions and honestly it’s only to my benefit if you don’t agree with them because it will make it easier for me to hide from you
This is me with blacktail deer I hunt where others drive past I have also never shot a buck that I can confirm to be on my camera not saying I haven't just cant say I have ever seen it before.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Cook View Post
This is me with blacktail deer I hunt where others drive past I have also never shot a buck that I can confirm to be on my camera not saying I haven't just cant say I have ever seen it before.
It was blacktail hunting in the lower mainland that first caused me to start thinking different

For example I shot plenty of blacktail off of the small islands on the Fraser river. I took my two bucks every year and not one came from conventional locations lol
Old 03-30-2022, 06:02 PM

Well done!