Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-27-2019, 10:59 PM

Default AR 15 builds?

I’m looking into building my first “AR 15” and the amount of companies with their fingers in the pie is a little over whelming. Can anyone help me out with what companies to stay away from? I don’t want a cheap AR, just one for plinking and varmint hunting. I’m more curious about the internal kits for upper and lowers, and where to buy around Edmonton area.

Don’t get all excited, the receiver I have is non restricted.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:27 PM

Well if you already have an upper and lower I won’t recommend aero precision or Anderson manufacturing. Hardware such as rails I like Midwest Industries. But-stock grip and fore grip hands down Daniel defense. If your going for a build can’t go wrong with a Geissele trigger. CMMG makes decent parts kits for lowers. I’d stay away from anything bushmaster or dpms. I think s&w makes parts kits for lowers and uppers that are ok. Barrel Aero precision makes good ones, as do any of the major manufacturers. PSA is a good place to loo for components as they always have deals if they will ship cross border. The bolt I would just make sure is mil spec and staked. Other than that you can get the chromed ones or blues whatever floats your boat. If I was going to build one right now hands down I’d find as much aero precision components or PSA and build off that with a DD stock and grip. 18” 1:7 rifle length mid weight barrel. OR a 16” .300 BLK I could run with my Omega!!
Old 09-27-2019, 11:28 PM

You won’t be varmint hunting with it that’s a for sure.
And if the election goes wrong you won’t be building one either.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-27-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You won’t be varmint hunting with it that’s a for sure.
And if the election goes wrong you won’t be building one either.
Receiver he said is NR. Even gun owners fail to realize that you can have a NR AR.

I suggest Red Deer Shooting Center. They did a build for me and it is amazing. Look at their website under carbine parts and you will find everything. For a NR you need 18.6 barrel and best hand guard would be about 15.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
Receiver he said is NR. Even gun owners fail to realize that you can have a NR AR.

I suggest Red Deer Shooting Center. They did a build for me and it is amazing. Look at their website under carbine parts and you will find everything. For a NR you need 18.6 barrel and best hand guard would be about 15.
I missed seeing that, my bad.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-28-2019, 02:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks Fur! I’ll look into RDSC, I don’t mind using Phoenix just need to watch the prices. Plus haven’t been home to stop in and see their stock, working a shutdown right now.

I have a hand guard and barrel sourced, may just order the barrel online from an online Canadian company. Maybe I’ll call RDSC and pick their brain for the internals etc. If anyone has other input please share.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
No problem, Dick. Excited to have this rifle finished, maybe for late coyote season.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Thanks Fur! I’ll look into RDSC, I don’t mind using Phoenix just need to watch the prices. Plus haven’t been home to stop in and see their stock, working a shutdown right now.

I have a hand guard and barrel sourced, may just order the barrel online from an online Canadian company. Maybe I’ll call RDSC and pick their brain for the internals etc. If anyone has other input please share.
Derek and Nick are super helpful. When I looked they had the best selection of parts. Lots of choice. Drop me a pm if interested and I can send you a copy of the parts for the build I got done there.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
No probs. Our gun laws make no sense. I only discovered the NR AR receivers a few months ago.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
No probs. Our gun laws make no sense. I only discovered the NR AR receivers a few months ago.
Yeah I hear ya there, they really are. I still plan on buying a BCL 102. But it’s nice having the Maccabee SLR on the market finally. A lot of talk of it for a while. I was about to buy a Kodiak from wolverine in red deer but I like the interchangeable parts and freedom you have with a AR receiver. So many options
Old 09-28-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Derek and Nick are super helpful. When I looked they had the best selection of parts. Lots of choice. Drop me a pm if interested and I can send you a copy of the parts for the build I got done there.
Appreciate it man
Old 09-28-2019, 06:58 AM

International Barrels and Geisselle triggers will be worth a look. For the triggers, I have the Single Stage Precision and the Super Dynamic 3 Gun and they are both worth the cost.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I'm behind the times as well...………..didn't know there was such as thing. For anybody else needing an education:

https://www.albertatacticalrifle.com...r-receiver-set
Old 09-28-2019, 12:32 PM

I have found that for the most part red deer shooting center does not stock cheap or junk parts so you can be fairly confident that what they stick is good quality

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-28-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I have found that for the most part red deer shooting center does not stock cheap or junk parts so you can be fairly confident that what they stick is good quality
Got that right, their price was 200 bucks more then majority of dealers I found looking for this particular gun.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well if you already have an upper and lower I won’t recommend aero precision or Anderson manufacturing. Hardware such as rails I like Midwest Industries. But-stock grip and fore grip hands down Daniel defense. If your going for a build can’t go wrong with a Geissele trigger. CMMG makes decent parts kits for lowers. I’d stay away from anything bushmaster or dpms. I think s&w makes parts kits for lowers and uppers that are ok. Barrel Aero precision makes good ones, as do any of the major manufacturers. PSA is a good place to loo for components as they always have deals if they will ship cross border. The bolt I would just make sure is mil spec and staked. Other than that you can get the chromed ones or blues whatever floats your boat. If I was going to build one right now hands down I’d find as much aero precision components or PSA and build off that with a DD stock and grip. 18” 1:7 rifle length mid weight barrel. OR a 16” .300 BLK I could run with my Omega!!
Thanks for that info! Sorry I don’t know how I missed your reply, what’s your opinion on Magpul stocks and rails? They seem to be really coming out with some very nice stuff.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Thanks for that info! Sorry I don’t know how I missed your reply, what’s your opinion on Magpul stocks and rails? They seem to be really coming out with some very nice stuff.
I like the magpul stocks and pistol grips. Their rails leave a bit much to be desired imo... not really a rail just drop in hand guard replacements. Their mags are top notch and pretty mainstream for ARs. I like this back up iron sights as well. For the money it’s good quality and standard on quite a few factory rifles. Personally I like free float rails for ARs and my favorites are from Midwest Industries or Troy.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:

If the receiver is NR, then is it really an AR-15, as the OP posted?
Old 09-29-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I’m pretty versed in the gun laws, I just didn’t see the NR part as I scrolled too fast and missed it. My bad for missing the last sentence.

I also must say it really isn’t an AR15 if it’s NR, it’s more accurately an AR15 like clone. But I get it, despite my error in seeing the last sentence in the op.

Carry on.

Let’s see some pics and range results when all’s said and done.

Good luck.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-29-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Banned

These NR receivers prove how stupid our gun laws are.

Anyway, Odin works, maple ridge armory, are 2 good barrel makers. You could go custom too, jury will make you one. True North Arms has a good selection of barrels, lots of different brands along with a lot or bcgs and parts kits.

Handguard I like maple ridge armory and aero precision
Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 AM

Wait until after the next election you may lose a bunch of invented parts in a non restricted receiver that will just turn into a prohib. Even if you were lucky enough to not lose you rifle in a freak boating accident it would still be an over priced safe queen.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:18 AM

I wouldn't spend any money until after the election, and if the Liberals win, until they unveil the actual legislation. Any firearm that in any way resembles an AR, or that even looks like a military firearm, might be banned.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
These NR receivers prove how stupid our gun laws are.

Anyway, Odin works, maple ridge armory, are 2 good barrel makers. You could go custom too, jury will make you one. True North Arms has a good selection of barrels, lots of different brands along with a lot or bcgs and parts kits.

Handguard I like maple ridge armory and aero precision
Thanks for the input I’ll check it out
Old 09-29-2019, 09:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I wouldn't spend any money until after the election, and if the Liberals win, until they unveil the actual legislation. Any firearm that in any way resembles an AR, or that even looks like a military firearm, might be banned.
I agree.
The registered receiver or not will be banned for the looks ... If Eastern Canada Votes for Blackface.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Look at the ban list from NZ. A lot of semi auto shotguns like the nova and super nova on that list and a lot of semi auto non military rifles like browning bar even some bolt action 22lr 11+ capacity rifles. https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2019-go2786 the non restricted ar rifles have little chance of surviving the ban hammer with some political party’s looking out for there voters best wishes.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Look at the ban list from NZ. A lot of semi auto shotguns like the nova and super nova on that list and a lot of semi auto non military rifles like browning bar even some bolt action 22lr 11+ capacity rifles. https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2019-go2786 the non restricted ar rifles have little chance of surviving the ban hammer with some political party’s looking out for there voters best wishes.
The Nova, and Super Nova are pump actions.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:46 AM

If it’s black and NR who really gives a crap what the government wants to do. I would Build your NR Rifle lightweight and you will have one of the “funnest” coyote rigs around.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Nova, and Super Nova are pump actions.
yes they are and there still on the ban list typo there by me.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If it’s black and NR who really gives a crap what the government wants to do. I would Build your NR Rifle lightweight and you will have one of the “funnest” coyote rigs around.
If the government bans your rifle, then you will care, and they may ban rifles that are currently NR.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Shooting Xs

Build it,if the Libs don't get a majority or Lib/GP minority Gov. you're good to go,even if they do ,you may get a season or two's usage.
If they do form a majority,make no mistake they won't stop at just an AR and AR variants ban,NR's semi's will be next.Blair has already mentioned the Mini-14 for the hammer,Garands,etc. included I'd bet.10/22's,tube fed rimfires that hold 10 or more rounds,semi auto and pump shotguns capable of holding 6 or more rounds in the Mags,any shotgun with a drop mag.
I don't believe them for a second when they claim they're not going after legal Sportsman,target shooters or farmers needing fire arms for farm stock protection.
I'm just as concerned that the Cons. will get a Minority and need the Greens to tag along to form a Majority,then the Greens bend them over for the Alliance.
Then again ,might just be a sky's falling thing.....