Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Default Recommended Spot and Stalk Black Bear Guide

Hey all,

I suddenly find myself with a bunch of time on my hands this spring and was wondering if you had recommendations for guides that would take a resident spot and stalk hunting for black bear. I am Calgary so preferably not northern Alberta but i would consider anything. I have tried a couple of leads but they were fully booked given last minute request.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Why spending so much money, for something so easy and simple?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Why spending so much money, for something so easy and simple?
No kidding probably one of the easiest hunts in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 AM

Alberta Advantage.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Alberta Advantage.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Guys, suggest a legitimate name for him to contact or just move on. If you have never hunted BB before getting someone who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes is not a bad idea, especially if you don't have quads, 4x4 etc to do it on your own. I know I used to float the Bow once or twice a year, always hired a guide with a boat. Way less grief than needing my own canoe, arranging pickup and return to launch, etc. I always took a guest so the guide supplied waders, rod, flys and everything else. On top of that, the guide was on the water 6 or 7 days a week and knew exactly what the fish were taking, where they were best fished etc. Far easier than ever trying to do all that on my own.

To the OP, sorry but everyone I know that would be an option is already booked. You might get lucky and find someone who isn't a guide but has experience by posting in the hunting partner sticky.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM

I went on a spot & stock hunt on Vancouver Island about 10 years ago it was not a guided hunt just with some buddies from there. That was an awesome experience we hunted for 2 1/2 days and seen 35 different bears in those 2 1/2 days. We ended up with 2 bears both just over 20”. There were times we would stop and glass from a logging road looking up the one way into a cut block and down into a valley from the same spot. I remember the one time seeing 6 different bears at one time from the one spot. Unreal country we seen Elk and lots of Black Tail Deer. Even got to set some wolf traps as buddy had the trap line in the area we hunted. We hunted up around Lake Cowichan. Might be worth checking out. I do not know any guiding outfits there but I’m sure a quick google search would find u some.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 AM

If you're in the Grand Prairie area give me a p.m. I can show you lots of spots to spot and stalk bears

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Take up bow hunting in the 300 zones, I bumped into a black bear or more for 5 weeks straight last fall, closest bear 5 yards furthest 50 yards. Black lighting when you spoke them. Never wanted to shot one but there are tons.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Guys, suggest a legitimate name for him to contact or just move on. If you have never hunted BB before getting someone who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes is not a bad idea, especially if you don't have quads, 4x4 etc to do it on your own. I know I used to float the Bow once or twice a year, always hired a guide with a boat. Way less grief than needing my own canoe, arranging pickup and return to launch, etc. I always took a guest so the guide supplied waders, rod, flys and everything else. On top of that, the guide was on the water 6 or 7 days a week and knew exactly what the fish were taking, where they were best fished etc. Far easier than ever trying to do all that on my own.

To the OP, sorry but everyone I know that would be an option is already booked. You might get lucky and find someone who isn't a guide but has experience by posting in the hunting partner sticky.
I wasn't picking on him, if he doesn't know how it's done, he's free to ask. Maybe he thinks it's hard and complicated, but like others said, it's probably the easiest hunt. Anyone with a gun or bow and a motor vehicle can drive around and shoot a bear off the road. No 4x4 needed, I hunted with a car for several years, just don't go if it's wet.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM

And if you still have time in the fall and want a bear, find an oat field near a large tract of bush or river. Fairly easy to gain permission as farmers don’t like bears making trails and flattening out crops. Bears love oats.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 AM

Would it be a correct statement to say ,if your gonna eat a bear its better table fare in the fall with lots of grains and berries?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
Would it be a correct statement to say ,if your gonna eat a bear its better table fare in the fall with lots of grains and berries?
Fall bear will have a lot more fat. Personally I don't care for the taste of Bear Fat. I prefer Spring Bear when they are still lean. I don't want any bear that has been eating garbage or carrion, you are totally right that grass, grain or berry fed bear is better tasting. Need to shoot an eating bear far enough away from sources of garbage.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 PM

heres a spot and stalk bow hunt from a couple weeks ago i just edited, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn9jD7TPjbo&t=19s

hartsky
Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM

I've spent the last few weekends in roaming around Burnt Timber and Mcleans Creek looking for bears, I've picked up a few tracks but no actual sightings.

Planning on heading back out this weekend but also open to suggestions on other places to check out. I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours from Calgary and make a weekend out if it if anyone will point me in the right direction it would be highly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH11 View Post
I've spent the last few weekends in roaming around Burnt Timber and Mcleans Creek looking for bears, I've picked up a few tracks but no actual sightings.

Planning on heading back out this weekend but also open to suggestions on other places to check out. I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours from Calgary and make a weekend out if it if anyone will point me in the right direction it would be highly appreciated.

good bear hunting start north of highway 16, from there, the further north the better
Old 05-31-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
good bear hunting start north of highway 16, from there, the further north the better
Couldn’t agree more. If you’re in Calgary and want to minimize wasted time, make the drive north. You can drive 4-5 hours north, see a bunch of bears, harvest one and drive down the next day. Or you can spend every weekend driving and hiking the k-country areas without seeing much at all.
We just got back from a weekend in wmu350 (we live in Airdrie). 5 of us took 6 bears, and we probably saw 30-35 of them in the course of the weekend (we easily could have taken 2 each) None of them were huge, but we had a great guys weekend, and my 12-year old took his first big game animal!
Definitely worth the drive.